Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Jelly Babies

Re: Jelly Babies

I really love Jelly Babies, but am I the only one who now and again has a nibble of a jaffa cake on a run? probably not sensible but they seem to do the trick for me!!

Probably been asked before but I am too lazy to search.

I was told that chocolate is not that good on a run as it would be too slow to release the energy. Is there any truth to this?

Salted peanuts I've heard are great. Bit of good fat, bit of salt, taste great !

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post

I was told that chocolate is not that good on a run as it would be too slow to release the energy. Is there any truth to this?
    I've used dark chocolate before and found it okay. I make a "trail mix" of dark choc, almonds, walnuts, raisins and peanuts and this seems good, but choc on its own has worked fine. These days I'm trying to go longer without food and I'm up to about 3 hours of comfortable running, although I do bring emergency food with me.

did high peak 40 powered by mostly jaffa cakes and orange squash and it seemed ok, they're a bit dry without liquid though

Quote Originally Posted by Daleyboy1234 View Post
    I really love Jelly Babies, but am I the only one who now and again has a nibble of a jaffa cake on a run? probably not sensible but they seem to do the trick for me!!
    Don't think it matters too much; as long as you get a sensible mix of sugars and starch then a small proportion of fat will be no problem. Fat and protein are slower to metabolise; in short races they don't really give you much calories but if they make the food more palatable then that's fine as long as the proportion is small. In longer stuff then they can be more useful, especially small quantities of protein.

I did the Fellsman powered by custard creams and bourbon biscuits (with the occasional hot dog and a cheese buttie!) just because that's what the tents had; seemed to do the job fine

It's all about Bounce bars for me now ! Taste fantastic with no "nasties" inside !

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post

im not sure if mars bars are chocolate or chocolate bars, but I regularly do ultras on them. Fellsman in particular was a good result after about 7 mars bars plus gels, custard creams n jelly babies.

I once had a mini Mars Bar during the 3 Peaks. Put it in at the top of Ingleborough & had to spit it out a mile later ! Couldn't get it down.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jez Hellewell View Post
    It's all about Bounce bars for me now ! Taste fantastic with no "nasties" inside !

But £1.79 for 49 gms! - Nature Valley oat and honey bars are £2.39 for 8 x 42 gms; Nak'd bars are 35 gms and about 70p each.