Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Jelly Babies

Re: Jelly Babies

I tried an experiment on a long distance race this last weekend - a baby food manufacturer has started selling pureed banana (no added nasties at all, just fruit) in a squeezable sachet almost identical to energy gel packaging. So I bought a couple from Tesco and tried them out. Worked a treat. Whipped them out of the hip pocket, squeezed them down, no need for peeling, chewing etc. Highly recommended, if a little unorthodox and a bit embarassing to write about on here
    Be Humble. Sit Down.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    It's not an Isotonic issue more a complex/simple sugar issue.

JB's, bears, squirms et al are simple sugars which hit the system quickly and give a Sugar high followed shortly afterwards by a corresponding Low. Theya re good for trickle feeding aslong as you keep eating them and/or just as you run out of energy at the end.

I try and take mine alongside Fruit bars, jels, rice pudding energy bars(Complex Sugars) etc between the two you get slow and fast release targeting the time you need a boost i.e big climb.

You can slow the release of simple sugars by adding fat I believe.(honey/jam sandwich, buttered of course).
    That's what the guy in the tri shop where i get my gels from said actually, sugars from sweets give you a buzz promptly followed by a downer. I was never running properly for long enough to experiment with energy rich treats of whatever sort on runs before my ITBS kicked in; i'm doing shorts now so i just roll out of bed, scratch my ar$e, force a can of Ambrosia down and hit the road .

I used to carb load 36hrs before a long race but it probably wouldn't have made much difference if i'd have eaten pizza for two days, my body burns energy so fast. I used up 3 gels on last years Grizedale Horseshoe and managed to bonk on the way down St Sunday Crag, and that was with a large brown pasta meal previously plus breakfast in the cafe that morning.

I like your salty potatoes thing Ian, presumably this is to replace lost minerals? I took to wiping the sweat off my face and licking my hand from time to time
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

If you like jelly sweets, jelly tots are vegaterian. Just the bog standard ones from local shops. I use them on open 5 races.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post

I like your salty potatoes thing Ian, presumably this is to replace lost minerals? I took to wiping the sweat off my face and licking my hand from time to time
    Not really although it will help it's just a different tast/texture. I must admit though I do crave them near the end of long races.

Ps sending You a PM

Quote Originally Posted by simgreen78 View Post
    I tried an experiment on a long distance race this last weekend - a baby food manufacturer has started selling pureed banana (no added nasties at all, just fruit) in a squeezable sachet almost identical to energy gel packaging. So I bought a couple from Tesco and tried them out. Worked a treat. Whipped them out of the hip pocket, squeezed them down, no need for peeling, chewing etc. Highly recommended, if a little unorthodox and a bit embarassing to write about on here
    Embarrasing? Not if it works it isn't!. Go on then - who makes them and where can you buy them, sounds worth a try to me.

I get bored of sweet things and find a pork pie goes down a treat.
    http://www.manxfellrunners.org/
    My island is very nice

Quote Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
    Embarrasing? Not if it works it isn't!. Go on then - who makes them and where can you buy them, sounds worth a try to me.
    It did work very well...22 mile fell race, ran better than ever. Just the right energy boost at the right time. Didn't have to stop running to get it down, just took it on board like a gel or drink from a squeezy sachet. No added ingredients or gunk to mess with your system, just 100% organic pureed fruit.

Here's the link;

http://www.ellaskitchen.co.uk/

I used the banana & apple sachets (about a 70/30 composition).

On sale at most major supermarkets apparently (on offer at Tesco), and on the website there are lots of links to buy online too.
    Be Humble. Sit Down.

Quote Originally Posted by skennaugh View Post
    I get bored of sweet things and find a pork pie goes down a treat.
    They do a pureed beef stew if that floats your boat...
    Be Humble. Sit Down.

Thanks for the tip Simgreen ! Just bought 6 from Asda. 4 banana & apple & 2 banana with powdered brown rice (I think that's what it said !). I struggle to get the gels down, so this will be an interesting experiment. I'll take a couple on my 17 miler tomorrow & report back !

Quote Originally Posted by Jez Hellewell View Post
    Thanks for the tip Simgreen ! Just bought 6 from Asda. 4 banana & apple & 2 banana with powdered brown rice (I think that's what it said !). I struggle to get the gels down, so this will be an interesting experiment. I'll take a couple on my 17 miler tomorrow & report back !
    Please do, I'd be interested to know what others think...the banana and rice one sounds a good idea...
    Be Humble. Sit Down.