Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Jelly Babies

Re: Jelly Babies

This is interesting,

I was off with my boy to the supermarket to buy some jelly babies for tomorrows long run, but now we might just hit the baby food department. I think sports "nutrition" is a rather big con and haven't brought gels or bars for sometime.

Having just read Ben Goldacre's Bad Science, I've got a bit of a thing against nutritionists in general, suffice to say I've found no discernible performance difference from spending 2 quid on an energy bar or gel, or buying a cheepo Spar flapjack.

I still think the best stuff is homemade, whats to stop us just mashing up a banana and wraping it in something that it might stay in... hmmm... will have to consider my point a little...

Only just spotted this thread, so apologies for returning to the original topic (almost). I run on a diet of Thornton's Fruit Jellies & water. The jellies are cubes rather than baby-shaped, hence the "almost". Easy to eat without a drink, they taste good & they don't seem to upset my stomach. I've done long runs up to 9 hours/45 miles on them, at the rate of 4 jellies every 45 minutes approx. 30 calories per jelly, about 20 jellies in a box, and they're vegetarian, using pectin rather than gelatine. The flavourings are natural fruit flavours, although they do contain sodium polyphosphate & sulphur dioxide. The sugars are listed as "sugar, glucose syrup, dextrose", so you get a mix of sugars. If I eat them every 45 mins I don't seem to get noticeable highs and lows - I do if I leave it an hour or more between refueling. I tried lots of other things before finding these & I kept getting stomach problems.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Quote Originally Posted by Splatcher View Post
    I run on a diet of Thornton's Fruit Jellies & water.
    I shall try these - they sound like a good traditional Northern brand, but perhaps they've been taken over by Kraft or KFC?
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

[quote=Twister; I've found no discernible performance difference from spending 2 quid on an energy bar or gel, or buying a cheepo Spar flapjack.

I still think the best stuff is homemade, whats to stop us just mashing up a banana and wraping it in something that it might stay in... hmmm... will have to consider my point a little...[/quote]

Guessing you haven't tried Viper bars?
    Ah, you have a lovely voice, a bit like Celine Dion

Quote Originally Posted by Celine Dion View Post
    Guessing you haven't tried Viper bars?
    @ £1.33 per bar when you buy 36, not likely.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    I shall try these - they sound like a good traditional Northern brand, but perhaps they've been taken over by Kraft or KFC?
    You need to go to a Thornton's shop for them. Or you can buy them online.
    Last edited by Splatcher; 30-03-2010 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Cocked up the link!
    Andy Robinson
    Helsby Running Club

Uncle Joe's Mint Balls anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    Uncle Joe's Mint Balls anyone?
    Haven't tried running on Uncle Joe's, but they're hard boiled sweets aren't they? I don't like mints much but I have tried running on fruit flavoured boiled sweets, but found I was crunching them every time to get the sugar into my system. I reckoned a year or two running on boiled sweets & I'd have no teeth left. They worked quite well though: easy to eat & quick sugar.
    Andy Robinson
    Helsby Running Club

Quote Originally Posted by Splatcher View Post
    Haven't tried running on Uncle Joe's, but they're hard boiled sweets aren't they? I don't like mints much but I have tried running on fruit flavoured boiled sweets, but found I was crunching them every time to get the sugar into my system. I reckoned a year or two running on boiled sweets & I'd have no teeth left. They worked quite well though: easy to eat & quick sugar.
    Splatch i can't hold out any longer, who's that guy in your avatar and what's he doing? He looks like a Thornback Ray merchant.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Local Junior at Llangynhafal on Saturday went straight for the jellybabies for his prize. I expect he'll win next year!!!