Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just a quick one

Question Just a quick one

Easy question for those who know but hard for a newbie like me.
    Could someone please tell me if a montane H2O jacket will pass a kit check for the three peaks thanks Achilles

Re: Just a quick one

A newbie doing the 3 Peaks
    Assume you fulfill the qualification criteria.

The best interpretation of the rules is, are you happy to be stuck on a hill with the kit you are carrying? Regardless of what the official minimum might appear to be.

Lite-speed H20 has a hood, Feather-lite H20 doesn't. Do they have taped seams? Feather-lite has permanent vents. Sounds as though the Feather-lite is barely acceptable. Lite-speed sounds more appropriate.
    You need full body cover; i.e. head to foot, which usually means jacket with hood, and trousers, all with taped seams. Basic requirement is windproof, but on the day the organiser can insist on waterproof.
    Don't think I've answered your specific question though - sorry!
    Might be best to show your H20 to an experienced runner or organiser, rather than risk rejection on the day.
    Going downhill fast - until I fell over

Quote Originally Posted by FellJunior View Post

The best interpretation of the rules is, are you happy to be stuck on a hill with the kit you are carrying? Regardless of what the official minimum might appear to be.

Lite-speed H20 has a hood, Feather-lite H20 doesn't. Do they have taped seams? Feather-lite has permanent vents. Sounds as though the Feather-lite is barely acceptable. Lite-speed sounds more appropriate.
    You need full body cover; i.e. head to foot, which usually means jacket with hood, and trousers, all with taped seams. Basic requirement is windproof, but on the day the organiser can insist on waterproof.
    Might be best to show your H20 to an experienced runner or organiser, rather than risk rejection on the day.
    Thanks for the info Ill wait and see if I get anymore replies cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
    Easy question for those who know but hard for a newbie like me.
    Could someone please tell me if a montane H2O jacket will pass a kit check for the three peaks thanks Achilles
    Quote Originally Posted by FellJunior View Post

As FJ say's you shouldn't think what can I get away with it's more what is the minimum you would be happy with if the weather is really crap and the shit hits the fan etc.

I somme times run in a pertex but have a waterproof in my bag.

As to the specific question. I will be on Kit check for the Skyline and if Andy says full waterproof cover then I will be looking for taped seams and a hood. If the weather is looking good then he may say pertex is sufficient and I will pass all such garments but you should think that if you will be out for 5+ hours will pertex be enough. personally I'd rather carry a waterproof for the extra 1-200 grammes

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    As FJ say's you shouldn't think what can I get away with it's more what is the minimum you would be happy with if the weather is really crap and the shit hits the fan etc.

I somme times run in a pertex but have a waterproof in my bag.

As to the specific question. I will be on Kit check for the Skyline and if Andy says full waterproof cover then I will be looking for taped seams and a hood. If the weather is looking good then he may say pertex is sufficient and I will pass all such garments but you should think that if you will be out for 5+ hours will pertex be enough. personally I'd rather carry a waterproof for the extra 1-200 grammes
    Thanks Ill look out for a waterproof better to be safe than sorry

Maybe I should of described myself as newbieish got the qualifying events under the belt
    just got to haul myself round on 24th april what have I done well Im committed now

Quote Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
    Maybe I should of described myself as newbieish got the qualifying events under the belt
    just got to haul myself round on 24th april what have I done well Im committed now
    Understand - I found the key challenge is to get to Ribblehead in well under 2:10. You can't afford to pace yourself, but if you're fit enough then the rest (Whernside and Ingleborough) should fall into place.
    Good luck!

Interesting, my old mucker says the race doesn't start till you get to the Old Hill Inn. Will have to see, it's my first go at this too.

It certainly doesn't get easier. but my reasoning is:
    Horton to Ribblehead is about 19Km with over 700 metres of climbing. So if you can't run say 1:50 for a road half marathon with plenty left in reserve, the cut off points just get tighter and tighter.
    For the race to start after the inn, you first have to get to the inn.

Agree totally with FJ on this.

I've not been fell running that long but I've been up a few fells and been grateful for my fully waterproof top on more than one occasion.

I've set off in valley sunshine at the Hill Inn for a Whernside recce and got caught in a blizzard by the time I was half way up.

It might be April, but better saf than sorry.

Pacing wise, it depends what background you have. I haven't got the real fell background of some but I'm not bad for flat speed.
    I can get to Ribblehead very comfortably in around 1:45 - well inside - but I can tell you it's easy to drop 15 - 20 minutes around Whernside to theHill Inn so try to have a bit in hand at Ribblehead, don't cut it too fine, or you'll be on the bus home by the Hill Inn.