http://www.mencap.org.uk/case.asp?id=12841

Re: Anti Hate

Quote Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
    For those of you interested.

We had a bit of a discussion about inappropriate names a few weeks ago

http://mencap.org.uk/news.asp?id=13834

This is linked to a wider awareness raising work on hate crime

Thank you for that Paul. A word I cannot abide. My eldest is struggling to come to terms with his peers using this and similar words, in fact was in tears only last night. People don't realise how much it can affect others and what impact it can have.

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
    For those of you interested.

We had a bit of a discussion about inappropriate names a few weeks ago

http://mencap.org.uk/news.asp?id=13834

This is linked to a wider awareness raising work on hate crime

Yes very interested Paul; and nice to meet you at the Hobble.
    I was looking at employment within Mencap last night but thats another story.
    I hate that word
    Emma I really do empathise with where your at with this.
    It says a lot about our society doesnt it, very sad

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    Yes very interested Paul; and nice to meet you at the Hobble.
    I was looking at employment within Mencap last night but thats another story.
    I hate that word
    Emma I really do empathise with where your at with this.
    It says a lot about our society doesnt it, very sad
    Thanks. It's one thing to deal with it as an adult on behalf of your own child but when the balance shifts to the protection of that childs sibling as they in turn mature and become more aware themselves completely shifts the balance. However, I'm sure as a result my own children will grow up with a compasion and understanding and a higher level of awareness.

Yes, it is sad - especially on the receiving end

yep, tis a word that's way out of date and current understanding, it is negative and derogatory, a rather anachronistic word is the correct term.
    go play on the m 6, now, how does that sound

Cant stand this word. I think kids exercise a higher level of cruelty and viciousness these days and if words like this are common in the media then it is easy for them to justify at school. Its good that attention has been drawn to this.
    The Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Scott View Post
    Cant stand this word. I think kids exercise a higher level of cruelty and viciousness these days and if words like this are common in the media then it is easy for them to justify at school. Its good that attention has been drawn to this.
    Higher level of cruelty and viciousness, yes. Just as worrying is the higher level of general ignorance. Combined, the edges of all three are blurred to the extent that so many now lack a basic moral compass.

But why?
    Be Humble. Sit Down.

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post
    Thank you for that Paul. A word I cannot abide. My eldest is struggling to come to terms with his peers using this and similar words, in fact was in tears only last night. People don't realise how much it can affect others and what impact it can have.
    Thats so sad to hear, kids can be very cruel sometimes, I wonder how schools currently approach this kind of abuse? We can only hope that there are discussions about such language within a wider discussion regarding discrimination and how it impacts on people's lives. I would be mortified if either or my two used such language when they are older. People's attitudes regarding disabilty are astounding sometimes. There is a female Cbeebies presenter at the minute who has a physical disability and apparently loads of parents wrote in complaining that she might scare their children. Unbelievable!
    Last edited by freckle; 19-03-2010 at 06:21 PM.
    and we run because we like it through the broad bright land

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

Mental retardation is I understand still commonly used as a diagnosis in North America particularly in determining access to SEN education.

Our discussion last time was around how words like idiot, imbecile and cretin were all medical diagnosis for people with a learning disability that then got used as abuse and in some opinions are now colloquial, though when they are used it is usually as a form as abuse no matter gently its meant.

I suppose what is not acknowledged is the pain the misuse of these words caused to the people labelled by them as they became more common. I think the wider issue is both around what the need is for labelling and how and why the label or diagnostic term is misused, which is an society attitudinal issue and what impact this has.

Mencap did some recent research around bullying of young people with a learning including name calling and this showed 98% of respondents felt they had been bullied because of their perceived impairments by others. In adulthood bullying is still seen as a major issue as can be shown by the recent deaths caused by hate crime, can you imagine what life must have been like if others peoples attitudes and treatment of you caused you to set fire to yourself and your child?

http://www.dontstickit.org.uk/index.html

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

Quote Originally Posted by freckle View Post
    Thats so sad to hear, kids can be very cruel sometimes, I wonder how schools currently approach this kind of abuse? We can only hope that there are discussions about such language within a wider discussion regarding discrimination and how it impacts on people's lives. I would be mortified if either or my two used such language when they are older. People's attitudes regarding disabilty are astounding sometimes. There is a female Cbeebies presenter at the minute who has a physical disability and apparently loads of parents wrote in complaining that she might scare their children. Unbelievable!
    All schools have anti bullying policies and initiatives, perhaps some of the teachers on here can talk about their experiences of this.