Thread: Welsh 3000s shoe advice?

Welsh 3000s shoe advice?

Me and a few friends are looking at walking and running the welsh 3000s in mid june and as a very novice fell runner im not sure on the shoe for the job.

Was looking at the inov8 295 or the salomon xa pro 3d ultra, any other thoughts or advice is very welcome.

Cheers.

Banned

Re: Welsh 3000s shoe advice?

Mark
    If you would like a brochure to help you compare brands/ styles please PM me

Toms a good man to point you in the right direction hes a real welshman, although he may just say la sporive are your onlly hope. I would say the mudclaw 330 would be a good shoefor trems of grip and durability http://www.inov-8.com/Products-Detai...6&P=5050973112
    hope it 3000s goes well
    I ran and ran until my Muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid, ....And then i ran some more.

Thanks scott, i already have a pair of 330 mudclaws but dont think my feet are tough enough for that many miles for hard terrain in them.

Not sure who tom is but hopefully he will pass his knowledge on.

A lot will depend on conditions as there is a lot of rocky ground on the route but also some steep grassy descents.

If its wet the 330s would be ok for the descents but they are a bit slippy on wet volcanic rock.

I wouldn't bother with the salamons if its wet as again no good on the wet rock and no grip for the descents.

I haven't used the 295s but have been thinking of giving them a go as I have a pair of Inov8 X-talons and think the sole is the best compromise between grip on wet rock and wet grass, just need something with more cushioning for long distance.

If the 295s have the same sole as the X-talon I'd go with them though it does look like the studs are not as big?
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by markdavy View Post
    Me and a few friends are looking at walking and running the welsh 3000s in mid june and as a very novice fell runner im not sure on the shoe for the job.

Was looking at the inov8 295 or the salomon xa pro 3d ultra, any other thoughts or advice is very welcome.

Cheers.
    It seems like you want something comfy for an outing this long. Salomons all have a medial post in them so will affect your gait, this may or may not suit you.

i've run the 3000's and the paddy buckley round in a pair of new balance 840's. not as grippy as a 'proper' fell shoe but good enough...

best to go to a decent running shop and try some on.

the main thing is the 3000's is a great day out so enjoy it!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by markdavy View Post

Cheers.
    Becoming a bloody proud welshman
    Crosslites .
    On a serious note, 330's if you can get the red version, imsorry II the yellow ones arent up to standard on wet rock.
    For me id decide whether its a choice between speed or comfort. Speed 330's or X Talons (its toolong for me to use talons but hey ho some people will) maybe 290s are the best shoeif its comfort Roclites are beasts.....IainR or Skippy are better for that but if you ask me Roclites or Mudroc 290s
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

What fits?

I ran the paddy in Walsh's, Beddgel Bounds in Terrocs, 3000ers as a loop in Mizuno wave harriers. Montrail Highlanders will also be fine. Most fell shoes will suit, the main issue is the fit.