Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoe Buying Advice

Shoe Buying Advice

Hi,

I'm looking ot buy my first pair of proper of-road running shoes.

I started fell and trail running last year, just using my £15 New Balance road shoes, which - to be fair - have done me well. But I lack grip on some sections, and descending is difficult/scary without the grip, so I want a proper pair for the rest of the season.

I'm running a mix of trail and fell, and my target this year is the Snowdon Race. Between now and then I'll be doing as many races as I can: most of the Tuesday Evening series [pdf, 89kb], and Moel Eilio and Carneddau races. I'm 6'3", about 13st10lb, and I have wide feet.

Any hints?

I've briefly looked at Mudclaw 270's at Joe Brown's in Llanberis, but I think the sole was too soft for some of the trails that I run. At the moment I'm leaning towards Flyroc 310, as the sole looks like a good compromise between trail and fell.

Thanks,

CM

Re: Shoe Buying Advice

Sounds like you've been bitten by the bug, make sure you keep some money aside each month for (delete as applicable) latest shoes, windproof, socks, shorts, gels, physio etc.

just got some inov8 270's, very minimal cushioning and a pretty soft but veryvery grippy sole-race only shoe I'd say. I'd be inclined to try the inov8's with the 3 or 4 arrow cushioning as you are a slightly larger chap also as we are heading for a dry summer prob better to go for more of a mudroc sole as opposed to the mudclaw.

Have a butchers at the Roclite 312 GTX. Maximum cushioning from Inov-8 with a great grip & goretex too. I find the Roclite (320 or 312) to be perfect for long trail/off road & have used them up to marathon distance a good few times. Very comfy. No doubt this thread will open up the usual heated debates !

Morning Jez
    Blakey Blitz ??

Aye up A.P.E ! Possibly. The missus is getting a bit fed up with me filling up the calendar with reccies & LDWA races ! Got Blubberhouses Moor 25 on Sunday & the 3 Peaks next month. You've got me thinking now though....

How are you running ??

cofi,

The Snowdon race is almost entirely on rocky path, stones and even tarmac from the start. Mudclaws (or at least my old pair) are very slippy on wet and hard surfaces, I can even slip in them on tarmac. So, look at shoes designed for hard surfaces. The hardest part of the race is the middle stretch between the 2 railway bridges where very large stones have been laid to prevent erosion by walkers. It's like running up and down a giant staircase, easy to take a tumble on the way back down. And, of course, there are walkers everywhere.

Jez,
    I'll see you at Blubberhouses at the weekend. I survived the Edale Skyline in one piece, but am still resting my tired old legs. I'm in for the PPP, too.

I've had some flyroc's for a few years now. mainly used for trails/hard ground/small sections road.

I think there an excellent shoe & would definitely buy them again. plus pete blands has them for £40!

I recently got some mudclaws (but I would imagine I'll still wear the flyroc's more).

Thanks for all the advice. I've taken the plunge and bought some Roclite 315s. I'll see how they go and may splash out on another pair later on in the year.

Botherton Lad: Thanks for the advice on the Snowdon Race. I ran up to half way Saturday morning which went well (35m from the base of the path). I'll be going to Hebron (the second bridge) in a few weeks, and to the summit by May!

I'll try and post some feedback here in a few weeks on the Roclites.

Cheers,

CM

I had some Flyroc 310s once and they were awful things. It felt like I was running in clogs. Fortunately the uppers fell apart very quickly so I could bin them.

Nice one Brotherton Lad ! I just hope my swollen ankle calms down or I'll be running with a limp ! What time are you aiming for ?

If the weathers decent I'll be wearing my Ilkley Harriers vest. Catch you there.