Thread: South Downs Way

South Downs Way

Anyone know what the record ( if there is one ) is for completing the South Downs Way?

Re: South Downs Way

I don't know, but some of the LDWA Hundreds have had a similar route to the South Downs Way, including in 1980 when Keith Arnold and David Rosen did a time of 16:13. (That was with a 5pm start, so would have included all the hours of darkness.)

Details are here.

I had been asking the same question, as I have entered the South Downs Way race in September (my interest is purely academic - I have no chance of setting a record!)

Searching the internet has drawn a complete blank, at least in terms of running records - there is plenty about biking. I would tend to agree that in the absence of any other information the fastest time recorded on an LDWA 100 should be regarded as the record (even though the bit from Winchester to Buriton had not been officially designated at the time).

Don't know, but casting my mind back to late 80's I remember wanting to enter, but after an 'animated' discussion with the Missus in the local pub (The Cricketers, we lived in Duncton at the time), she threatened to divorce me if I even contemplated it. I never did the SDW but am still married - hey hoe - lifes rich tapestry .
    At that time it was about 85 miles, but I think the route was increased to nearer the 100 mark. Have a feeling the record was around the 13 - 14 hour mark then, Martin Greaves was a main contender in those days and I think he had won it one year.
    Can't help much more, but fairly certain the route was "extended" in latter years, so if you find out times check on the distance as it may have changed.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Moley, you are quite right that the South Downs Way race held in the late 80's was 'only' around 80 miles, as indeed was the Way itself in those days. A club mate of mine, Barry Hards, won it 3 times - I could probably find his times. That race was discontinued in the early 90's, but this year there is a new race, which I believe is the first to cover the whole 100 miles (the LDWA events of course being 'non-competitve').

There is an annual 6 man relay race (instigated by the late Chris Brasher) which has seen some very fast times.

The new race has a 10 am start on a September Saturday near a new moon, so like the LDWA 100s will involve a lot of darkness. I guess a fast runner starting at dawn in mid summer could do it all in the daylight, whcih would be much better for record setting.

Rather a long time after the question was asked I know, but Martin Daykin set the course record in 1985 with a time of 9h 52m 46s (Sam Lambourne 2nd in 10,17.45; Terry Tullett 3rd in 10,47.45, both inside the old record. 52 runners beat 15 hours). Daykin also won in 1987 in 10,36.17, 1988 in 10,03.48 and 1989 in 10,23.40. Whether his 9,52 was ever beaten on the 80 mile course I do not know, but I believe it remained intact.

Blimey, that takes me back a bit, I can remember doing it in 1990. My club mates thought I was barmey, it was to be my first ultra- but what a cracking race, managed 12.43, and so began my love affair with the longer distances, brings back a few memories moley, happy days.
    John Marsh