Page 1503 of 1690 FirstFirst ... 503100314031453149315011502150315041505151315531603 ... LastLast
Results 15,021 to 15,030 of 16892

Thread: Today's Training

A very gentle 4 miles to loosen the legs up after last nights efforts, and to prepare for tomorrow’s race.

Had a medical this morning and have a resting heart rate of 49bpm.... which appears to be pretty decent.

Missed 3 days with a stomach bug although I'd probably only have got 3-4 miles in on Thursday anyway.

Darwen Tower Loop again today for the 3rd time in 6 weeks.

6.75 miles, 1400ft, 83 minutes.

Took 2.5 minutes off since first one and conditions pretty similar on each run. I probably feel better after today than the others so at least it's in the right direction and barring any glitches should be OK to potter around the Stan Bradshaw in a few weeks.

I plan to stick to this as my longish effort until I'm under 80 and then look for something top side of 90 minutes.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Rounded the week off with a 1hr40 session on the treadmill. Final scores for the week 59.5 miles/14,600ft.

Think the next few weeks will be back down towards 40mpw as got lots in the way of racing to try and stay fresh for...

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Spent the weekend in Cardiff visiting daughter number 2 and was planning on having a run in the Brecon Beacons on the way back. Storm Dennis had other ideas.....

Grasping the last of the daylight, I managed to get in a 12km/600m over the Clent Hills when I got home. It was a bit of a plod as I'm still nursing a torn calf but felt good to be out after a couple of days avoiding the worst of the weather. Calf feeling OK so hopefully should fine for Long Mynd Valleys in a couple of weeks.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I wouldn't normally use my waterproof jacket (with taped seams ) on a run around here, especially not on a short run up to the Outwoods. But coming back from my latest calf injury, and still a bit concerned that my calf may ask me to slow down to a walk at any stage, I decided it was the best policy in today's cold and rain. As it turned out, the only walking I needed to do was when when I chose to go up the steepest hill in the Outwoods, which I can only just manage to run up when fully fit.

Something really heartening was seeing two adults with about eight small children (probably 4 - 5 years old), all togged up in warm anoraks and woolly hats, just coming out of the woods onto the footpath towards Loughborough. It's good to see the children being shown that "there's no such thing as bad weather, only unsuitable clothing".

I have a colleague who lived in Bergen, Norway for three years before coming here. Soon after he settled here, his children (then aged 9, 7, 5) complained to him that the school wouldn't let them play outside during break-time when it was raining. In Bergen, where it rains on about 300 days each year, children always take a coat to school, and if it's raining during break-time, they just put on the coat and go outside.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

My daughter's four children have all attended a rural primary school on the edge of the Forest of Bowland (only the youngest [9 years old] there, now). School policy is that all children have waterproofs and wellingtons at school and nobody misses playtime.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I wouldn't normally use my waterproof jacket (with taped seams ) on a run around here, especially not on a short run up to the Outwoods. But coming back from my latest calf injury, and still a bit concerned that my calf may ask me to slow down to a walk at any stage, I decided it was the best policy in today's cold and rain. As it turned out, the only walking I needed to do was when when I chose to go up the steepest hill in the Outwoods, which I can only just manage to run up when fully fit.

Something really heartening was seeing two adults with about eight small children (probably 4 - 5 years old), all togged up in warm anoraks and woolly hats, just coming out of the woods onto the footpath towards Loughborough. It's good to see the children being shown that "there's no such thing as bad weather, only unsuitable clothing".

I have a colleague who lived in Bergen, Norway for three years before coming here. Soon after he settled here, his children (then aged 9, 7, 5) complained to him that the school wouldn't let them play outside during break-time when it was raining. In Bergen, where it rains on about 300 days each year, children always take a coat to school, and if it's raining during break-time, they just put on the coat and go outside.
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 19-02-2020 at 09:59 PM.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

I'm expecting to get drenched tomorrow - got to turn out as I'm this week's leader of the CTC Thursday ride.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    A muddy, wet head-torcher. 8km/350m at a rather gentile pace as I had to take my glasses off due to the driving rain.

Not felling it this week. Combination of weather, lots of work on and a bit of a niggle on the top of my right foot.
    So it's not worth posting daily (many would say not at all :P )

Tuesday
    4.15 mile, 39 minutes - Witton
    Thursday
    4 mile, 39 minutes - Witton - canal strides to finish

Next stop weekend as tied up tomorrow.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

A steady 9 road miles around southern Cov.... remarkably every kept it steady, with a view to the Nationals on Saturday...