Page 1589 of 1690 FirstFirst ... 589108914891539157915871588158915901591159916391689 ... LastLast
Results 15,881 to 15,890 of 16891

Thread: Today's Training

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Any excuse is good enough for avoiding a reps session. It's too cold and foggy. I think I will go up Beacon Hill to see if I can get above the fog.
    No excuses today. Six hill reps in the Outwoods. I generally consider 2:40 to be quite a fast time for these reps, but today I did the last two in 2:40 and the first four were all faster than that.

I have no explanation for this speed in my first reps session since a long lay-off with injury. I haven't eaten any beetroot for several weeks, and I don't even know what EPO is. Maybe there has been a mysterious long-distance exchange of fitness, whereby I have acquired Mr B's normal fitness, and he has acquired my normal unfitness.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

I also did hill reps today, although unfortunately was a treadmill session.

3 x 5 minute reps
    2 x 6 minute reps
    1 x 7 minute rep

All with 5 minutes flat running recovery.

6 miles in total.

Some more leg strength work tonight in the gym, then it will be all easy miles until sunday.

Tonight's RATRun was planned to be from The Red Lion in Litton but yesterday I found out that it was closed for a week due to the owners being on holiday. We switched to the Crispin at Great Longstone and at 6.30 pm this evening we arrived there to find it in darkness and closed.

Fortunately, we could see that the lights were on at the White Lion, 100yds down the road, so six of us set off through the churchyard and across the fields leading up to Longstone Edge. A traverse below the edge to Deep Rake, up to Bleaklow and then down into Coombs Dale to the path junction at Black Harry Gate. Back up to Longstone Edge and over Longstone Moor via Watersaw Rake from where we watched a fantastic dark orange moon rise above the horizon.
    A final mile down Leys Lane took us back via Dale Farm to Great Longstone where I noticed that the lights were on in Baron Roy Hattersley's house, sometime starter of the GL Fell Race, and fortunately still on at The White Lion.

A fantastic run, on mainly frosty grass, of 7 miles, 1,071 feet in 1hr 8min. Once in the pub cheesy chips were washed down, around a roaring fire, by Unicorn 4.2% from Robinsons.
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 21-01-2022 at 11:00 AM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Maybe there has been a mysterious long-distance exchange of fitness, whereby I have acquired Mr B's normal fitness, and he has acquired my normal unfitness.
    Maybe Darren fisheries has passed it on to you. I was fairly sure it originally transferred to him

76 miles this week. Total was boosted well over the 70 mark thanks to a bit of a debacle at the Mercia Hill Trial today.

Next week... hope to be recovered enough for a midweek club session, then next saturday the Midlands XC champs at Mansfield.

Master
    Longest run for several months: up Beacon Hill, then a loop of Broombriggs, going up via "Cardiac Hill" https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2086732 ; this pair of climbs is the nearest I will get to simulating Yearlet and Haddon Hill on the Stretton Hills race. Also went up Windmill Hill on the way home; I suppose this could be my version of the nasty little climb out of the last checkpoint at Stretton Hills. The footpath over the fields from Woodhouse Eaves back home has dried out nicely; the mud is rather churned up, but quite firm.

Note to self: wear thicker gloves when it is this cold.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Club night.

5 x 1km, rest period starting at 2mins, then dropping by 20secs each time.

I was still fatigued from the weekend so decided to just take the first one well within myself, and go from there.

3:47
    3:42
    3:40
    3:40

So a good 20secs/rep down on my previous km session, although i was still pleased with those times in the circumstances. Couldn't manage a 5th at "pace" so jogged it in 3:58

8 miles for the session on top of 5 easy miles AM.

A solid day.

Steady as she goes until saturday now.

This evenings RATRun saw six of us depart from The Railway, Buxton. Tarmac at first to get us out of town and then a steep, slippery section up through Light Wood and past Cuckoo Tors to the edge of the moor. A right turn took us over Flint Clough and along Black Edge to the TP. We then retraced our steps to Flint Clough and continued around the edge, above Moss House Farm and on to Round the Bend where we dropped down onto the Midshires Way.
    After 4 miles of boggy and peaty ground the rough track and then a mile of tarmac back into town was most welcome.

Back at The Railway, cheesy chips were washed down with a very good Two Hoots 4.2% from the Joseph Holt Brewery which was on offer at £2 a pint!

A total of 9 miles, 1,151 feet in 1 hr 29 mins. A little tougher underfoot than I would have liked with Tarren Hendre at Saturday noon but a great evening all the same.
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 28-01-2022 at 12:07 AM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    As I set off on today's run, I was musing over the fact that getting old means never again running either of my classic Beacon Hill routes in under an hour. Today's effort on the route via Buck Hill in 63m20s in fairly ideal conditions (mud dried up, no nettles yet, not too cold or windy) was quite satisfying.
    Jorge Luis Borges

As I set off on today's run, I was musing over the fact that getting old means never again running either of my classic Beacon Hill routes in under an hour. Today's effort on the route via Buck Hill in 63m20s in fairly ideal conditions (mud dried up, no nettles yet, not too cold or windy) was quite satisfying.
    Maybe the aim is doing it in fewer minutes than you are years old. I don't know how old you are, or whether that works??