Page 1572 of 1690 FirstFirst ... 572107214721522156215701571157215731574158216221672 ... LastLast
Results 15,711 to 15,720 of 16891

Thread: Today's Training

Hopefully back in business next week, although may well be spending more time than planned in Cov for work purposes.[/QUOTE]

UK City of Culture.

I've visited the Cathedral, seen The Special's and watched the Willie Carr/Ernie Hunt free kick numerous times on TV. Have I missed anything Travs?
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Hopefully back in business next week, although may well be spending more time than planned in Cov for work purposes.
    UK City of Culture.

I've visited the Cathedral, seen The Special's and watched the Willie Carr/Ernie Hunt free kick numerous times on TV. Have I missed anything Travs?[/QUOTE]

Two Cathedrals actually...!!

There's also the transport museum which is worth a visit... the famous Thrust 2 car being there, amongst many other rare and vintage offerings.

Unfortunately the city was a huge manufacturing centre which was bombed to pieces in the Blitz (it was also reputedly "as beautiful as Paris, and the finest preserved medieval city in Europe...") the rebuilding after the war was not kind to the city, due to lack of funds and time amongst other things, and a failed attempt at creating a modern concrete city.

The story (possibly a legend) was that the UK had cracked the enigma code, and knew Cov was going to get destroyed, but they couldn't let on as it would give the enigma secret away to the Germans... so legend has it the Cov was sacrificed for the greater good of the war.

The lack of transport infrastructure and the legendary ring-road are also issues, and a bugbear of most locals is that the only redevelopment seems to be endless student accommodation and university buildings.

And don't get me started on the Ricoh Arena/Wasps situation...

In conclusion, no you haven't missed too much.
    Last edited by Travs; 07-06-2021 at 08:36 AM.

A good start to the week yesterday with 10 easy (but hot and sweaty) miles... followed by news that i'm stepping up for the first time ever as a marshall at the Blencathra champs race, with it being hosted by my new fell boys Eden Runners.

See you all on Bowscale summit!

Whilst in the Midlands i'm having to use treadmill for my hill fix. This morning was an hour uphill run in a baking hot garage.

Recovery periods generally between 4-8% incline, with 3 intense 15% incline runs (7mins, 8mins, 8mins)

6 miles in the hour.

Was a punishing session and i spent half hour afterwards flat out in the garden recovering.

Seems to be coming along slowly. I think the fact that i was still able to run most of the Cofa Pike-St Sunday Crag climb, 4hrs and 6000ft into my Hodgson Bros Relay route the other week, is a good sign (although admittedly i wasn't breaking any course records over the flatter sections!)

Currently on 28 miles for the week.
    Last edited by Travs; 09-06-2021 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Whilst in the Midlands i'm having to use treadmill for my hill fix. This morning was an hour uphill run in a baking hot garage.

Recovery periods generally between 4-8% incline, with 3 intense 15% incline runs (7mins, 8mins, 8mins)
    That's real dedication Travs, I'm impressed. We regularly say if we didn't live somewhere surrounded by hills we wouldn't run so much.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Buck Hill and the Outwoods, 42 minutes, which is OK but a lot slower than I was doing it 2 years ago. But I did overtake another runner, which is pretty rare these days. Just after leaving the Outwoods, starting the descent towards home, I passed a young lady who was going fairly slowly; but nearly half a mile later, just as I was relaxing a bit, I heard her drawing breath somewhere behind me, so I put in a bit more effort to get away. It's a problem we young, handsome blokes have; we keep on being chased by ladies.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

A staple "midlands" training day today. 5 miles easy AM, 5 miles easy PM, and weights and core in the gym.

Might have a bash at a fast 3km on saturday, but having only ever done it on track in race conditions before, i'm not expecting to be breaking any pb's.

Had planned a flat-out 3km road effort this morning, but a rather rushed and stressed morning i'd lost my focus and appetite for that.

Ended up doing a rep session 6 x (3mins hard, 2mins easy)

6 miles.

A good week. 73 miles, mostly whilst sweating profusely.

Weight reached down to 77.7kg this week, which is well below my maximum allowance i'm permitting myself of 80kg, and even a touch below my old fight-weight 78kg.

Club night down in Coventry, and 5 x 1km on grass with 90secs rest.

A real struggle in the heat.

3:39
    3:36
    3:40
    3:43
    3:46

But a solid 7.5 miles, and 11.5 miles total for the day.