Page 1613 of 1692 FirstFirst ... 61311131513156316031611161216131614161516231663 ... LastLast
Results 16,121 to 16,130 of 16912

Thread: Today's Training

I remember my very first "fell training session", Mam Tor - Lose Hill ridge from Castleton.

Bowled out of Castleton full of beans and hit the Winnats Pass thinking i'd skip up there... could barely get above walking pace up the rough grass, so moved onto the road, and didn't fare much better.

Went ok along the ridge, but was a bedraggled state running back down the road from Hope to Castleton a while later.

I wasn't unfit either, i'd had my last pro fight only 4-6 weeks before, and had strong calves and ankles... but quickly realised i was going to need some serious training.

A teatime tarmac run to test out my new New Balance shoes. Three laps of a 4 and a bit miles around Flagg. Very comfortable and I quickly realised that I don't have to tie my laces as tight on the road.

Not the best choice of route as there was too much ascent but a bonus was that, for some reason, there was hardly any traffic on the roads!

13.15 miles, 1,080 feet in 1.46.38. By far my longest run on the road since my one and only half marathon at Worksop in 2017 where I managed 1.28.22.

Plenty of work to be done and I suspect that my head will find this marathon tougher than my legs do!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

After the slightly poor track session at the weekend i've decided to take another slightly easier week this week and ducked out of both club sessions.... although i have been running my "easy" runs a little harder than usual this week, usually finishing up with a mile or two of decent effort...

Theory being i'll sharpen up properly for the Bradwell champs race a week on saturday, by racing at Corndon this weekend and a midweek track race next week (which of course will mean a further week without any specific club sessions).

Currently on 31.5 miles for the week.... doubt i'll top 70 this week given the short race to come on sunday. Similar next week with the short races.
    Last edited by Travs; 04-08-2022 at 01:17 PM.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I've just returned from a week's holiday (a cruise to the Norwegian fjords with my wife, to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary), during which I didn't get any proper running done. I went out today on my route over Buck Hill to Beacon Hill, via Felicity's Wood; it felt really slow at the start of the run, but gradually improved, and I got home in 61 minutes. That's the fastest I've done that route in years; even allowing for ground conditions being ideal for fast running, that's a pleasant surprise.

I need to write a piece for the Fellrunner magazine: "The benefits of under-training and over-eating for athletic performance".
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I've just returned from a week's holiday (a cruise to the Norwegian fjords with my wife, to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary), during which I didn't get any proper running done. I went out today on my route over Buck Hill to Beacon Hill, via Felicity's Wood; it felt really slow at the start of the run, but gradually improved, and I got home in 61 minutes. That's the fastest I've done that route in years; even allowing for ground conditions being ideal for fast running, that's a pleasant surprise.

I need to write a piece for the Fellrunner magazine: "The benefits of under-training and over-eating for athletic performance".
    Well the importance of resting should not be underestimated!
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Yesterday's bike ride took an odd turn for me and I ended up taking the Rea Valley cycle route (NCR5) back into Brum before heading home. I noticed how low the river was in places and found myself wondering whether the source of the Rea would still be evident up on the Waseley Hills. This sounds far more romantic than it actually is - it's basically a muddy puddle - and rivers usually conjure up images of far grander watercourses than the Rea which you probably would call a brook if there was anything bigger to compare too
    Anyway, I set off over the Clent Hills, down to Bourne Heath and then with the carrot of a cyclist to catch, set off up Winwood Heath road. Said cyclist was obviously on good form as I failed to catch him on the initial steep section and he sped off as the gradient eased off. So on to Waseley Hills and the source of the Rea which was obviously a source of much fun for a couple of spaniels enjoying splashing in and out in the morning sun. So even after the long dry spell we have had, it had not dried up. I know nothing of where or how it actually originates but given there is not much higher ground above it I assume it is forced upwards from below.
    Another 6k back across bone dry fields saw a total of 15k and 650m ascent on a very warm morning.
    Last edited by PeteS; 07-08-2022 at 03:20 PM.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Congratulations on your anniversary Anthony....

Final score for the week 62.5 miles.

Unfortunately i've lost most of the skin on my heel after racing in full fell shoes on the rock hard ground today. And the other heel is not in much of a better state.

So wednesday's 1500mtr race is out of the window. And quite honestly i'll be surprised if i'm back running at all by next weekend, let alone with feet in a fit state for another short, hot, dry thrash around Bradwell at the English Champs.

If i top zero miles next week its going to be a bonus.

That's never happened to me, what socks do you wear?

Get some sudacrem on there and once it's scabbed over a layer of k-tape will get you back on your feet.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Congratulations on your anniversary Anthony....
    Thank you, Travs.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Final score for the week 62.5 miles.

Unfortunately i've lost most of the skin on my heel after racing in full fell shoes on the rock hard ground today. And the other heel is not in much of a better state.

So wednesday's 1500mtr race is out of the window. And quite honestly i'll be surprised if i'm back running at all by next weekend, let alone with feet in a fit state for another short, hot, dry thrash around Bradwell at the English Champs.

If i top zero miles next week its going to be a bonus.
    Sorry you won't be at Bradwell -- although if the temperatures get much higher than currently forecast by the Met Office (27C at Hope for Saturday morning), I might reconsider my attendance.

I've been wearing my Walshes at all my races, despite the hard ground. It's made my calves suffer, but I haven't lost any skin . . . yet. Anyway, I hope you recover soon.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    That's never happened to me, what socks do you wear?

Get some sudacrem on there and once it's scabbed over a layer of k-tape will get you back on your feet.
    I wore my usual Inov8 socks.

The issue was my choice of footwear... Most people went for less harsh shoes (the winner wore road shoes!)

But I couldn't remember much about the terrain, so erred on the side of caution in case there were some technical descents, and went for my usual bona-fide studs.