Page 1541 of 1548 FirstFirst ... 541104114411491153115391540154115421543 ... LastLast
Results 15,401 to 15,410 of 15475

Thread: Today's Training

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Anthony i'm sure i saw some race in your area advertised around Halloween time...

In fact, a quick check and it's called the Skeleton Run, round the Beacon Country Park. I was a little tempted, but then saw they were encouraging fancy dress etc, which put me off a little... then i saw the price (22 for a 5 mile race!!!) and that put me off completely...!

There's also a night of 5km races scheduled for late October at Prestwold Hall. Looks well organised, with Open Races, 20+min races, 18-20min, 15-18, elite... am sorely tempted to enter, but at present the Black Mountains race is scheduled for the day before... which will go ahead if restrictions don't change for the worse.
    Yes, the Skeleton Run has been going for several years now. I've never done it, not just for the reasons you mention, but simply because I don't like running in the dark.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Fuelled by the traditional runners breakfast of a Mince Pie, embarked on another lonely track session.

12km. My aim was to keep it as near as possible to 4mins/km, but i had doubts as to whether i could hold that pace after a good week of training. However it all felt good this morning, and finished the session in 47:32

Finding these long track efforts to be very effective. They are tough mentally, as anyone who has raced distance on the track will no doubt testify. But they keep you honest throughout.

Having said that, i think its important to try and keep mentally fresh and looking forward to training, and i don't think i can face the step up to 14km as soon as next week... i think i might go for a 5km "race effort" next weekend instead.

A solid but easy day brings the weekly total to 64 miles and 10,750ft. A very positive week with an encouraging rep session and a good hard tempo effort yesterday.

Next week will probably see the miles drop a little, but hoping to get in the midweek club session then a 5km pb effort next weekend.

Hilly 5k over lunch. Coinciding with beautiful sunshine - low light picking out the autumnal colours.

I felt lethargic - it must be last night's online yoga session taking its toll. Marichi poses - A,B,C and D. A and C were possible, B and D were utterly impossible.

https://www.istockphoto.com/photo/wo...9890-106676883
    No longer "resting"

Club night. 25 minute Kenyan Hills session, averaged 4:00/km. A fairly good day in total with 10.5 miles and 1400ft.

"Training" is a funny thing for me to define as far as fell running is concerned. I usually run everyday but on a couple of days each week those 'runs' might just be a local 2 mile jog around the river with the dogs. Another 3 will be longer run outs, with Hester and the dogs, with us usually fitting in bigger expeditions in say the Lakes at the weekend and what not. We sometimes blast known strava segments on these runs and sometimes push it quite hard but mostly its all about be out in the wilderness and mountains adventuring... with I guess our preferred mode of travel while adventuring being fell and/or trail running. With covid we don't really bother with any club runs right now (Hester used to try and go once a week) but we do usually also fit in one mid-week evening run out with two or three running friends which are mostly steady away fun social runs. And currently I'm doing my one solo fell race, speed blast, time attack each week which, of it all, is the most like 'training' in that it hurts and I'm going full at it. Oh and I also try to do two CrossFit 'engine' gym sessions a week, which also hurt and are also full on. My weekly mileage is in the 30 to 50 mile range and weekly ascent anything between 5,000 feet and 15,000 feet I guess. I guess that's training then but it all feels nicely in balance, without continually pushing things and never a grind.

Maybe when fell, trail and ultra races come back I'll have a bit more speed, strength and endurance and do a bit better, but if I don't who cares

Street hill reps for me today. Unremarkable except that up to Sunday I'd had 8 days off running with a cold, then very short/easy on Sunday (fine), usual weekday 11.5km on Monday that was ok, and then the same again yesterday that felt desperate. Following that I'd planned an easy run today but felt ok when I left the house and ended up cruising what can feel like hard session sometimes. Weird, though I think I've had it before where I really struggle one day and then feel great the day after.
    Geoff Clarke
    Lancaster Runners

Master
    Up to Beacon Hill, back via Windmill Hill.

By the path up to the summit of Beacon Hill there was a woman sheltering under a tree with two small children. I somehow found the breath to call out to her, "The rain isn't going to stop!"; and then found myself slowing to a walk on the final short steep push to the summit.

Earlier in the morning, Beacon Hill had been concealed in clag, and I was a little disappointed that it had cleared by the time I went up there. But having a clear view didn't stop me making a daft nav error, going back down the way I had come up instead of taking the path towards Windmill Hill. I realised when I saw the woman with the two small children, and then cut across the open heathland to regain the correct path.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    It's not just speed that declines with age, but recovery from hard training sessions. After a reasonably brisk run up Beacon Hill two days ago, I intended to do Buck Hill and the Outwoods today, but soon decided to truncate it to just the Outwoods, and had to walk up two steep slopes in the woods. There was even a calf taking the p*ss in one of the fields next to the path up to the woods. Actually, not taking the p*ss, more giving the p*ss: standing near the fence separating its field from the footpath, and relieving itself in my direction.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Had a bash at the local Parkrun course this morning.

19:14

No excuses, when it got uncomfortable i didn't push hard enough, and subsequently didn't get anywhere near the time i felt capable of.

I did find it a bit of a struggle to tune into race-mode when doing it solo and nobody to chase. Perhaps will try again on the track next weekend, where i seem to be able to find that race mentality, even when alone.

Despite today's effort, i still feel even on current form there's a minute to come off that next week.