Page 1433 of 1690 FirstFirst ... 43393313331383142314311432143314341435144314831533 ... LastLast
Results 14,321 to 14,330 of 16891

Thread: Today's Training

Tonight's track session was a tough one... 16 x 400m with 90secs rest.

It's only 4 miles of work, but I think anyone who has done this session will know that it is very hard both mentally and physically.

Was hoping, but not necessarily expecting, to keep the reps at around 80 seconds throughout. Managed to maintain 79-80secs fairly comfortably for about 11 or 12 reps, but a combination of both fatigue, and soreness in my Achilles, meant I backed off a little on the final few, and reps 13-16 were trundled in at around 84-85secs. Proof of this was shown by the fact that I dropped well over 100 metres on the couple of guys in front of me, over the final four reps.

Total of 8 miles tonight.

Master
    A few days in the Lakes mopping up some Wainwrights. Hartsop sbove How, Black Fell, Caw Fell, Hardknott, Harter Fell and Green Cragg. Wet and windy ( thats both me and the conditions) but good to get a few days on the fells again. Knee can just about take 8 or 9 miles at a time at a snail pace. Keep meaning to buy some poles.

Good stuff Simon. I'm up there 2nd weekend in December for the same purpose.... I've got 55 Wainwrgiths left to do (or is it 65, I'll have to check), and going up there for 3 nights to hopefully make a big dent in that number.

Trouble is the more Wainwrights you do, the fewer and farther between are the remaining ones, and the routes between them seem to become like sadistic Mountain Trial style routes.... Mardale Ill Bell & Tarn Crag... Pavey Ark & Grange Fell... Mungrisdale Common, Bakestall & Souther Fell.... should be an interesting few days... not to mention coming directly in between the Cheviot Goat and Tour De Helvellyn weekends...!

Master
    Exactly Pete. The ones I have left are grnrrally single summits that I should hsve gatherdd in passing years ago, but sre now big trips to bag tem. For instance i have been within a few hundred feet of Blea Rigg summit but not ticked it!! Similarly I had previously summited Haycock 3 times and had never bothered to jog out to Caw Fell. Thus Caw Fell became an 8 mile run in its own right last Thursady. Have 4 left now, only Hartsop Dodd snd Gray Crag doable in a single link.
    I like the sound of your stepper and treadmill work outs. What of the two do you think is the hardest snd most relevant in terms of outdoor climbing?

Caw Fell is right out of the way. I went from Lank Rigg and then the long climb onto Caw Fell, needless to say it was a lonely and strenuous trip.

In terms of indoor training, I personally think uphill sessions on the treadmill have benefited me most of all. I've been doing them as intervals. For example 5 mins hard climbing at maximum incline, followed by 5mins flat running... the hard climbing can be power-walking or "running".

Or to get some real big climb into a session, 5 minute blocks, the whole session at max incline.... 3.5mins power walking and 1.5 mins running... if you keep it intense you'll be not far off 3000ft in the hour.

You can get greater ascent per hour on the stairclimber, but I find the treadmill sessions of more specific benefit, and a great help in being able to run climbs that were previously un-runnable in races.

Well done on the racing!

I need to get back racing next year. I prefer the longer stuff and ran a good few over the Peak District. I think I’ll run some of the lakes classics next year!

Spen it was the Lakeland Classics which really inspired me to getting into Fell racing, and the longer stuff still has a fascination for me.

Funnily enough, I've never really done those lakes Classics justice yet... ran Borrowdale and Buttermere a couple of times each, Langdale x1, Ennerdale x1, Wasdale x1 dnf.... the Welsh classics are just as good, (in fact I'll say it quietly, but I reckon they are even better). But I've never done enough Lakes Classics in a single year to even qualify for the Classics Trophy yet. When I first started, that was my main aim.

May be back up in the Peaks in November for the Roaches. That's a great one if you like longer stuff. It's very strenuous and energy sapping underfoot, but none of the climbs are monstrous, and to me, it feels more like a very hilly cross-country race than a Fell Race. Funnily enough I've got League XC the day before, which may well prevent (or at least slow me down somewhat) racing at the Roaches.

Also doing the Trigger (Marsden-Edale) in Jan for the 4th consecutive year. In my eyes that is the real Peaks test, all that unforgiving ground at that time of year. Get your entry in quick if you want in, but bear in mind it's a serious outing and they do ask for evidence that you're up to it...

Training has been a struggle the last week. Struggling with a bit of Achilles pain, so took it easy last week and only clocked up about 29 miles (still got in 11000ft), but yesterday's race told me that my Achilles still not 100% so a bit more rest needed before a hectic racing end to the year.
    Last edited by Travs; 15-10-2018 at 07:13 PM.

Cheers trav. I’ve done the roaches and volunteered there before. I know the area and still train there. Done quite a few ultras (doing the York’s 3 peaks one this weekend). I prefer the longer stuff. I’ve also the tour of bradwell and another event kinder way by dark and white events. So know the area reasonably well. Since I’ve moved back to the West Midlands not done as many!

There's a bit going on nearer to home as well Spen…

Ultra-wise, there's the Long Mynd Hike in September, 50 miles, always gets a load of fellrunners. There's a Shropshire Way ultra earlier in the year, don't know much about that. Not to mention all the Winter and Summer Series races, all the other fell races (Stretton Skyline being the best long fell race IMO, but the South Mynd Tour is a close 2nd).

Then the races in mid & south wales aren't too far away. Arenig Fawr is a fantastic medium race in August. Black Mountains probably the best longer race that I've done in the area, it's tough though. Brecon Beacons is also good, and a lot of people on this forum speak highly of Llanbedr-Blaenavon. There's also South Wales summer and winter series i think, not to mention the Welsh and South-Wales Champs...

Super Moderator
    First run for months - 30 mins or so jog / walk round Penistone Hill