Page 1573 of 1690 FirstFirst ... 573107314731523156315711572157315741575158316231673 ... LastLast
Results 15,721 to 15,730 of 16891

Thread: Today's Training

3 x reps up Hallin Fell from the church. About half mile and 500ft.

7:01 for starters
    6:51 feeling warmed up
    6:40 valiant final effort

4.5 miles total run.

Set a marker now for those reps of what time i can do when fresh and feeling fit. Be interesting to revisit in a couple of weeks with a few races under the belt, see if it sharpens me up a bit further.

Set out today with the aim of reccying part of the Old Crown Round Route, specifically the Blencathra - Skiddaw House - Skiddaw section.

The MWIS forecast, whilst vastly improved on earlier forecasts, didn't inspire great confidence, so set out in a baselayer, but it turned out to be much warmer and sunnier than expected, and i ended up topless after about 1000ft climbing, until reaching Keswick.

From Scales, up Scales Fell to the top of Blencathra. From there i took a route which for now i'll keep undisclosed, but safe to say it's not on the race map nor the choice of options on the race description.

The jury is still out on it, ideally i'd like to try the "standard" route down Mungrisedale Common, but don't think i'll get a chance before the race, so will have to spend some time thinking and studying the map.

From Skiddaw House i took the track behind it up onto Skiddaw main path, but instead turned left and up Skiddaw Little Man, then straight down the tourist path and into Keswick, where i was relieved to get some more water inside me.

11.5 miles, 4080ft. That leaves me on a reasonable 65.5 miles for the week. I'd like to think that i'll nip out tonight and round that up to 70, but that may be wishful thinking!

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    First session of Outwoods hill reps for about 4 months. Times varying from 2:32 to 2:45, which is faster than I have done them in the past. I'm not sure if the following wind was a factor; being in the woods, the wind is somewhat attenuated. More likely that it is just the seasonal variation in fitness, i.e. the tendency to feel fitter in Summer.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

A fantastic run this evening in summer sunshine from The Greyhound in Warslow. Six of us did the Warslow Beer Fesival Fell Race route 6 and a half miles and 1,900 feet in 1hr 20min. Those who have done will know it is a tough bugger.

Back at the Greyhound thirsts were slaked on Greyhound Gold from Beartown Brewery and very good chips were eaten whilst we were being eaten by very hungry Staffordshire Moorlands midges!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

With some family/personal issues down in the Midlands it's been a struggle to remain focused on training, and it's only been 4 of the past 6 weeks where i've managed a consistent 70-odd miles.

And so it's been the same this week, with only really getting back at it today with some solid miles.

But things now looking better so the consistency should return now, but looks like i won't get chance to race until Four Fans and Welsh 1000 in mid-July (which happen to be two of my favourite races!) Hopefully a good block of training between now and then, before the races start to come thicker and faster!
    Last edited by Travs; 27-06-2021 at 05:46 PM.

Master
    Good to hear that things are looking better now Travs - a shame you missed The Great Lakes race.

Well i'll certainly be at my next scheduled Lakes race.... Old Crown Round on 24th, which is an area of the Lakes i'm a big fan of.

Just got to make a decision on my Blencathra to Skiddaw route after my recce proved inconclusive last weekend!
    Last edited by Travs; 27-06-2021 at 06:37 PM.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Beacon Hill, Broombriggs and Windmill Hill: 78 minutes, my longest run for quite a while. Included part of the route of the Windmill Fell Race https://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/show...light=windmill which I will be running in 10 days' time. [No, Travs, I won't be doing the Four Fans three days after that.]
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

A pleasing start to the week with 10.5 miles across two sessions. And in a throwback to my kickboxing days did a fair bit of sledgehammer swinging this evening.

Also pleasing after recent slackness that my weight is still down at 78.9kg. Seem to have gotten myself permanently below 80kg now, but seem to fluctuate between about 77.5kg to the low 79's whatever i do diet and training-wise.

A lovely last minute weekend in Mid Wales. On Saturday evening I went for an evening run up in the Hafren Forest to wash away the Euro blues and the disappointment of Alun Wyn Jones' dislocated shoulder.
    I had only planned 6 or 7 miles but it was such a beautiful evening that when I got above, what was the tree line, I continued past the source of the Wye and onto the TP at Plynlimon. I then retraced my steps to Arwystli and then kept to the higher ground before dropping to the source of the Severn and then followed its course back through the forest to my car at Rhyd-y Benwch.
    A total of just over 13 miles and 2,178 feet in 2hrs 10min. A glorious run and not a soul seen. Denmark may have better footballers but they don't have hills like ours!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog