Page 1478 of 1690 FirstFirst ... 47897813781428146814761477147814791480148815281578 ... LastLast
Results 14,771 to 14,780 of 16892

Thread: Today's Training

Thanks and will do Travs - starting to think of this as a little diary with awesome support and encouragement - all win in my book!

Keep on keeping on DT, I have nothing but admiration for you all things considered; conversely I have just rested since Sunday!!

The resting is really good - I've been closely inspecting my legs hehe, there is or I should say was, quite a lot of very early warning signs for various potential injuries and the resting is revealing them all, so I am working them all out. I see these as growing pains rather than actual injuries because they are so small. As I identify each little one I am looking up exercises to do to strengthen that part and avoid them turning into something more serious. It's working! Today I bounced out of bed and didn't have the 'first step' stiffness that has slowly accumulated over the last 8 weeks. I am definitely considering this as part of my training, even though it is just strength building exercises rather than actually running.

The temptation to run is strong, but I am determined to maintain injury free running and this feels like the right thing to do.

I am really looking forward to getting back out running again, just a few more days, then onward and upward!!

I found this video very encouraging and a strong confirmation that I am doing things right, it's exactly where I am at in my mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw5cluM9ewg

(it is a little commercially oriented, they're trying to sell an app, but it's still useful)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Southern, Northern, Western, North-Western books all complete...

West of Kirkstone, I have Raven Crag (Thirlmere), Pavey Ark, Hartsop Above How, and High Hartsop Dodd.

The remaining dozen are all to the east of Kirkstone, and a couple of decent days out (one from Howtown, and perhaps one from Mardale Head) should mop most of them up.

My plan for the final day is to take a long run from the A6 at Shap summit, along one of the ridges over to Grey Crag and Tarn Crag. Possibly not the most scenic tops, but a long and lonely run in, just how I like it...!
    And save until a nice dry and clear day for those Pete. preferably with frozen turf if you can wait that long!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    I would struggle to know what Wainwrights I have done/not done. For many years in my early days of hill walking I would have just followed the walk leader, with little knowledge of where I was. One day in particular I remember spending hours bagging a load of green lumps north of Skiddaw.
    DP, those green lumps are great. Its worth doing again as part of your definitive Wainwright collection, perhaps build them into an extended Old Crown Round and tick the lot!

I finished off the Northern Fells on a long run last winter in ferocious weather... Mungrisdale, onto Souther Fell, Mungrisdale Common, Bowscale, Bannerdale Crags, across the Caldew and up to Carrock Fell and High Pike... then a long leg round to Bakestall, then over Skiddaw and down to Keswick.

A fantastic day but was glad to get inside, it was getting seriously cold over Bakestall and Skiddaw.
    Last edited by Travs; 20-09-2019 at 05:35 PM.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Of the Wainwrights, I think the Northern and North Western are both the most underrated and also the easiest to tick off (if you are of a mind to do so).

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Today's training was a good hammering of Walton Hill with a PB on Mungo's field ascent. Didn't have the heart for much more than 30 minutes of that so pottered about the footpaths and bridal ways enjoying the sun. 12km/490m.

At first it was easy to get through the Wainwrights... Go out the door, string a ridge run together, and tick off about 8 in one swoop... Then it gets harder to link them together...

Although had some great days out in last couple of years mopping them up... Lank Rigg to Pillar, via Caw, Haycock, Steeple, Red Pike, was a good one... As was Wasdale to Eskdale via Kirk Fell, Allen Crags, Esk Pike... Earlier this year Wasdale-Lingmell-Seathwaite Fell-Glaramara-Rosset Pike-Whin Rigg-Wasdale was a toughie...

Runs that you probably wouldn't do otherwise.
    Last edited by Travs; 21-09-2019 at 07:11 AM.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Southern,

My plan for the final day is to take a long run from the A6 at Shap summit, along one of the ridges over to Grey Crag and Tarn Crag. Possibly not the most scenic tops, but a long and lonely run in, just how I like it...!
    I took the tent when I did Grey crag and Tarn crag,and linked it to a few other

Wainwrights over the scorching august bank holiday, started from Kentmere church,then on to:-

Shipman Knotts, Kentmere Pike, Tarn Crag, Grey Crag, Selside Pike, Branstree,

Harter Fell, Mardale ill Bell, High Street, The Knott, Kidsty Pike, High raise,

Wether Hill, Loadpot Hill, Arthurs Pike, Bonscale Pike, Hallin fell and Steel Knotts.

Then on the steamer to Glenridding to flash my Bus pass on the bus to Windermere then on the 555 back to Kendal an enjoyable trip the main problem being access to water whilst trying to maintain height but a bit of judicious map reading and carrying 3 litres got me through, mind you full Camping kit, 3 litres of water plus food made for a pretty heavy sac, excellent training IMO.

Tis by far the best way of doing the Wainwrights
    Last edited by JohnK; 21-09-2019 at 10:05 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

JohnK I set out on a similar trip perhaps three years ago...

Started after lunch and did Ambleside-Red Screes-Middle Dodd-Little Hart Crag-over Fairfield, Cofa Pike, to St Sunday Crag-Birks-Arnison Crag-Patterdale-Angletarn Pikes-Brock Crags-Rest Dodd.... the aim had then been to cover a lot of ground on the Far Eastern Fells...

As evening turned to night, a pretty horrendous storm came in, and my water supply ran out, and couldn’t find any more.... I buried down in my bivvy bag to see out the storm... must have been pretty delirious by this point with the thirst, as I can’t really remember much of the night... vaguely recall desperately trying to make my way in the general direction of Ambleside, heading over the High Street ridge and Thornthwaite Crag...

As dawn came I became desperate for water and somewhere high above Hayeswater I found a horrific looking stagnant pool of water with plenty of flies/bugs hovering around... such was my thirst I couldn’t resist a few handfuls... dropped straight off the Fell down to Hartsop and onto the Kirkstone Road and attempted to hitch back to Ambleside... I must’ve looked a state as nobody would stop for me... I was resigned to a long walk back to Ambleside over Kirkstone, but then came across the hotel/pub at Brothers Water... I went straight into the bar and tried to ask for some water but my mouth was so dry I couldn’t speak.... they got the jist of it... i had to neck three pints of water before I regained the power of speech, and booked a taxi back to Ambleside...

Learned a lot that day/night/morning... I guess I was lucky it was mid-summer...