Page 1569 of 1689 FirstFirst ... 569106914691519155915671568156915701571157916191669 ... LastLast
Results 15,681 to 15,690 of 16886

Thread: Today's Training

Tonight's RATRun saw 9 of us set off from the Parks Inn at Harpur Hill. Initially down to the stream below and then a gradual climb up to Solomon's Temple. Down through the woods to the Poole's Cavern complex, across the A53 to Burbage and half a mile of tarmac before it turns into the rough track known as Macclesfield Old Road. Once we reached the high point a left took us along Axe Edge Moor on lovely bouncy peat, across the A54 to Dane Head and then up to the TP at Axe Edge. Lapwing and Curlew in abundance.

A fast descent took us down to Ladmanlow where we crossed the A53 again and some flat running across fields took us into the vast Health and Safety Executive Laboratory Site, which occupies the long gone RAF Harpur Hill, and apparently has as much underground space as it does above ground. We were constantly monitored by security which was even more obvious as we ran past the shiny new HQ building. A few hundred yards out of the site and we were back at the Parks Inn.

A total of 9 and a half miles, 1'581 feet in 1hr 34min. Cheesy Chips were washed down with Yorkshire Blonde 3.9% from Ossett Brewery, which hadn't travelled well to Derbyshire, and Neck Oil 4.3% from Beavertown Brewery. A lovely dry evening as the forecast rain never appeared.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    My last two runs before today felt like running through treacle, but today I did my route over Buck Hill and the Outwoods faster than I have done it for several months. I wish I could unravel the mystery of why, without any differences in diet or other activity, I can feel so different while running.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

A disjointed week in terms of training, due to work commitments and then being back in the Midlands for my vaccine.

41.5 miles, although considering my running week didn't begin until thursday that's not bad going.

Next week should see a return to normality... hopefully don't get too much grief from my jab, will do a track session on tuesday night down here before heading back north. Hoping for a little runout at Mardale Head on friday night, then racing at Fairfield saturday, before a possible outing on the fells again sunday with a fellow forumite.

Plenty to look forward to, and feeling strong.

This morning I took a friend To The Royal Hallamshire Hospital in Sheffield for an eye appointment so rather than hang about waiting I decided to go for run.

A short drive up to Burbage Bridge from where I started my run. Within a few minutes I was stood by the TP at Stanage Edge from where movement behind me caused me to turn around to see a Ring Ouzel perched atop a gritstone boulder. I watched it hop around for a couple of minutes not bothered by my presence. Along the edge I continued to the sound of a Cuckoo coming from the direction of North Lees down to my left.

I then reached the TP at High Neb when my phone rang. My friend was ready for collection. Back along the edge and then a detour out to Stanage Pole on the very good hardpacked track which was a relief from the edge where 100% concentration is required for every footstep unless one fancies a bit of gritrash!

On OS Maps, at Stanage Pole, the blue triangle denoting a TP is shown on the 1:25000 but not on the 1:50000. On the ground there is a pole mounted in a cast metal cage with a base plate that gives the direction of various places, two of them being Mercia and Northumbria, and a plaque, that amongst other things, states that "this ancient boundary marker was renewed in April 2016". In UK Trig Point tables it is listed as an Intersected Station!

From there a very wet and boggy path took me back to the edge from where I could hear the Cuckoo again, now down to my right, and I dropped down from the edge and picked up a lovely peaty path back to the car.

Five and a half miles in total and 423 feet in 52 minutes. Cloudy and dry but rain showers could be seen all around. Only 3 people seen. A very well spent hour.
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 17-05-2021 at 02:30 PM.

Master
    Did I manage to run every step of the way up Beacon Hill today? Yes!

Did I stop at the top, ostensibly to look at the view, but actually because I felt wrecked? Yes.

Am I stupid enough to enter the West Nab fell race? Hmmm . . .
    Jorge Luis Borges

You'll have to get over to Four Fans again in July Anthony...

Club night down here in Cov. 10 x 400mtr(ish) reps on path/gravel, off 1 minute rest periods.

Surprisingly humid tonight. Didn't feel like I had a top gear tonight, but still ran them fairly consistently out the front of the group.

A good 8.5 miles on top of a steady 5 miles this morning. It's been a very solid start to the week.

Back up to the Lakes now. Little runout at Mardale Head planned on Friday, but nothing too strenuous before Fairfield on Saturday.
    Last edited by Travs; 18-05-2021 at 09:38 PM.

Tonight's RATRun was from The Bulls Head in Monyash. Nine of us set off on a wet, wild and windy evening up Horse Lane and across the fields towards Magpie Mine. The lad I was running alongside suddenly stopped in the middle of the field. He had lost his keys. He heard them fall from his pocket but after 20 mins of searching in 9" long grass we could not find them.
    We continued to Magpie Mine and then down through more fields to Mill Farm where halfway down the lovely track to Lathkill Dale we took a right and climbed up onto the edge of the dale and followed the path, which is really only a trod, for a mile with lovely views of the dale, to Ricklow Quarry. Out of the quarry and down into the the dale and a nice grassy finish to the road and back into Monyash and the Bull.

Just over 7 miles and only 600 feet in a steady 1hr 5 min. Cheesy Chips were washed down with Bradfield Brewery's Farmers Blonde and a very good pint of Timothy Taylor Landlord.

I'm key hunting in the morning with a friends metal detector then its feet up in the hope that my legs will get me around The Reverse Half Tour of Bradwell on Saturday!

As promised, had a little run round from Mardale head this evening. I've been on Nan Bield Pass many times, but have never been up it from the Mardale side, so it was a nice introduction to Small Water. Once up on the pass and heading over Harter Fell, I was right in the wild wind and rain, but managed to reach the summit cairn in 45mins.

Then it was along the fence-line and down to Gatescarth, another favourite descent. On reaching Gatescarth it was another first, as have never descended the Mardale side, so it was a fast, stony run back down to Mardale Head. Harter Fell summit to Mardale Head car park 20mins.

A cracking little runout that is sure to become a favourite. 4.5 miles,, 2400ft, 1hr05.

Master
    I've got used to having to wear a HH Lifa long-sleeved top for all my runs over the last two weeks, which is unusual for May; but today I decided that conditions required Walshes as well. This turned out to be a wise decision for the route to Beacon Hill via Buck Hill.

A rather slow run, even after taking into account the wind and rain; but at least I felt comfortable all the way, and didn't give myself any more injuries. So:

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post

Am I stupid enough to enter the West Nab fell race? Hmmm . . .
    Yes, I have entered it. The next act of stupidity will be to actually turn up on the start-line . . .

I see from the start list that Llani Boy is entered, as well as Mr Brightside.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Went over to Patterdale today for a slow run out. Cycling over, i was fearing the worst as the rain was pretty biblical. But once up on the tops it was merely unpleasant, with rain and zero visibility, rather than anything too nasty.

From Patterdale, along the valley to Hartsop... here my plans for a slow run were aborted as i spotted two fellrunners 400mtrs in front... caught up with them for a chat, so much that i missed my turn up the Gray Crag ridge, and had to cut back with a direct hoof up the flanks of the fell.

Along the murky ridge top to Thornthwaite Beacon, in and out of Threshthwaite Mouth and onto Caudale Moor, then down the amazing north-west ridge of Caudale back down to Brothers Water. What a fantastic descent that is, approx 2000ft along a lovely grassy ridge... just a shame my legs were in no mood for it, and it was so slippy today.

Back along the valley to Patterdale. 11.5 miles 3550ft.

Brings the week to a close with a solid 68.5 miles.

Next week... no race next weekend, probably a blessed relief after Fairfield yesterday. But i commence training with Eden Runners, and already booked onto a couple of fell sessions and a speedwork session. Hopefully after that lot i'll know if i plan to join them for fell purposes.

Duddon, Ennerdale and Great Lakes looming large in June...