Page 1568 of 1689 FirstFirst ... 568106814681518155815661567156815691570157816181668 ... LastLast
Results 15,671 to 15,680 of 16886

Thread: Today's Training

A wet, windy and wild run this afternoon from near Chelmorton. Down through fields to Flagg then along the Limestone Way for a mile before a right turn took me up Huttmoor Butts to the A515, which I crossed and then more fields to the HPT. After half a mile another right turn took me back over the 515 to the Duke of York where I picked up the Pennine Bridleway back to my car.

A total of 6 and a half miles and just 466 feet in 53 minutes. Apart from drivers on the 515 and two Openreach workers in the middle of a field, who seemed to be debating whether or not to climb a telegraph pole in the strong wind, no one else seen!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Tonight's RATRun was from the Thornbridge Brewery Tap in Bakewell. Eight of us set off in cold wind and rain along the river Wye to Ashford in the Water and then up Pennyunk Lane. As we crossed the fields to Monsal Head we got hit by horizontal hail which gave the legs a good stinging.

From Monsal Head we dropped steeply to the trail and the shelter of the Headstone Tunnel. When we came out the other side of the tunnel the sun came out and warmed us up a little along the trail. Just before we reached Hassop Station we took a right up the bridleway that led us back over to the Wye and the Brewery Tap.

On arrival our pre ordered Pizza was waiting and was washed down with excellent Brother Rabbit 4% and Crackendale 5.2%.

A pleasant run of just over 7 miles and 700 feet in 60 min 34 seconds!
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 06-05-2021 at 10:58 PM.

I've been doing most of my training on and around Hallin Fell. Got a good ascent that can be done with max effort throughout, and a mix of easy and rough descents.

Particular favourite is up the "tourist path", then down what i assume is the direct ascent in the Howtown race, then round the water-side path all the way, completely circling the fell (the waterside path being stunning and a new one for me in the Lakes.

Also had no issues (so far) locking e-bike up conveniently round there.

Perfect conditions for running today. Sunny with a cool breeze and the ground nicely firm but with a bit of give after yesterdays rain.
    From home past the drinkers outside the Lathkil Hotel and down the fields to the A6 at Haddon Hall. I did not cross it but went back up through more fields to and around Shining Bank Quarry. Over to Raper Lodge and then up to Meadow Place Farm, yes the shitty one on the Leg it Round Lathkill Fell Race. Down into Lathkill Dale where I picked up the LIRLFR route. At the top of Cales Dale steps I saw my first Orchids of 2021. A dozen or so Early Purple Orchids. Lovely.
    I continued on the LIRLFR route up to Calling Low, Moor Lane and back through Meadow Place Farm again, down to Conksbury Bridge and back up the fields to the Lathkil Hotel where punters were still enjoying drinks in the sunshine, and home.

I had only intended to do 6 miles but it was such a lovely day and I felt good so ended up doing 13 and a quarter miles, 1,750 feet in 2hrs 1 min. I don't think I have seen in Lathkill Dale as many people before, other than on race day. In the two miles up the dale there was always someone in view ahead of me.

Had a decent few weeks training, getting out on the roads consistently in mid-week and a decent length off-road outing on a weekend (trying get some endurance in for the 55k 5 Passes in June). Not great last week though, had a cold through the week and was umming and ahhing over whether to race the Howgills Trail Half yesterday. Went for it, but suffered big time. Felt like effort was through the roof for little pace on the ground. Oh well, hopefully back to a decent week's training this week (starting with a short easy one today!).
    Geoff Clarke

Waited for 90 mins yesterday evening for the thunderstorm to pass and finally went out at 8.30 for my run. Down through the white, hail covered fields in waterproof jacket and gloves. It was cold! Up Lathkill Dale where I got the closest I've ever been to a Heron without them flying off, about 20 yards. Perhaps it was cold too! Up out of the dale at Mill Farm by which time the waterproof was off as the sun had popped out and I was instantly roasting. Back home down the road.
    Just over 5 miles and 490 feet in 42 mins 40 sec. Once home I jumped in the shower and I had just covered myself in soap when there was a flash and a bang and the power went off. Mr Thunder and Mrs Lightening had returned. The water went cold, the dogs were barking and going mad, and my stir fry was only half done.
    Fortunately the storm passed and power came back on before the candles were needed. Stir fry resurrected and enjoyed I then settled down to watch my recorded highlights of the Giro. And guess what? Nothing!
    I've had better evenings.

I made up for it today with a walk around the Warslow Beer Festival FR route, in reverse, with a pal who is on the mend after a heart attack last year. I had forgotten what a tough route it is. Just over 2,000 feet in 6 miles and much of it on pathless rough ground. A cracking race and hopefully it will be on this year.

And before anyone asks, no, I wasn't walking backwards!
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 12-05-2021 at 04:51 PM.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I've been doing most of my training on and around Hallin Fell. Got a good ascent that can be done with max effort throughout, and a mix of easy and rough descents.

Particular favourite is up the "tourist path", then down what i assume is the direct ascent in the Howtown race, then round the water-side path all the way, completely circling the fell (the waterside path being stunning and a new one for me in the Lakes.

Also had no issues (so far) locking e-bike up conveniently round there.
    I have done the Howtown race a couple of times - a brilliant event - a low price, free parking, a feast of cakes for a donation, and a great route. The second time I did it people were racing each other from the car park to the race HQ to get the remaining available places.
    It goes up Hallin Fell from the church, and down the same way, though turning left about 3/4 of the way down to cut a corner heading back towards the road.
    A lovely hill to train on/around.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    I have done the Howtown race a couple of times - a brilliant event - a low price, free parking, a feast of cakes for a donation, and a great route. The second time I did it people were racing each other from the car park to the race HQ to get the remaining available places.
    It goes up Hallin Fell from the church, and down the same way, though turning left about 3/4 of the way down to cut a corner heading back towards the road.
    A lovely hill to train on/around.
    You can go up direct from the road bend where you cross the beck, saving the run up the road to the church. Not saying its quicker, as i've not done it at race pace i can't say if its runnable. There is a path all the way up.

I can run the church ascent just about all the way when fresh and well warmed-up (although not appreciably faster than a power-walk)... not sure after two hours of racing though!

Howtown would be my "local" AL and a little sad that it doesn't seem to be on this year.

In other Cumbrian news, i'm quite probably going to do a few sessions with Eden Runners, with a view to possibly joining them second-claim for the fells.

Travs
    If you fancy a trot round Howtown fell race route, I wouldn’t mind goin round with you. I think we’re a similarish pace.
    07399046326 harv