Page 1480 of 1690 FirstFirst ... 48098013801430147014781479148014811482149015301580 ... LastLast
Results 14,791 to 14,800 of 16892

Thread: Today's Training

Super Moderator
    Feeling sick if you’ve pushed it a bit isn’t unusual

There was an infamous (Kenyan? Ethiopian?) work-out iirc that basically finished when you threw up. I’ve not tried it although might have done similar in the past on Tim Taylor’s 😲

Thanks DT

I realised after I posted that I hadn't eaten and was possibly not fully hydrated, that and pushing it probably combined to make me feel that way - another lesson learned!!

Haha, I like Tim Taylor's too, actually most beer, but it's been a good while since I was so drunk I threw up!

I am finally feeling strong enough the day after a run to go for another run, should I do it?

Oh yes!! I did it, feel just the same as doing it 3 times a week, if not better!!

Broke my PR again, same route:

2 miles, 212 climb in 20:51 mins!

That's another 40 seconds hacked off my 2 mile time - I can't quite believe it - I am only 50 seconds off breaking the 20 minute barrier and I feel great!!

Will have to wait to see how I feel tomorrow, and the rest of the week, but all being well I will be out again and I will be running every day, same milage per week as in phase one, but that's good! Once this phase of getting my speed up is over I will then start increasing distance, which I believe will make my pace drop again, but overall I should be doing better than before. Lets see hey

Family bereavement put paid to Peris last weekend, and all thoughts of training this week.

Talking of feeling sick, in my kickboxing days we did occasionally a horrific session called the “puke run”

Basically we had to close our eyes, fingers in ears, and spin round as fast as possible for 30secs, leaving us unable to stand properly... this was to simulate the effects of receiving a knockout punch... we were then immediately set upon by an opponent and basically had to survive the onslaught... horrendous stuff...

Another bad one was the “shark tank” where you were put in the ring for 10 or 15mins, with a fresh opponent every minute, so you never got a rest... this was not fun either, as most of the people my weight were lunatic Poles/Russians/Palestinians...

Great times (perhaps)....

Sorry to hear about the bereavement, Travs. Hope the family are pulling together.

Your kickboxing training sounds absolutely nuts. I might take it up…

Took 5 minutes off my half-mara PB in a training run today, whilst dodging commuters and carring my work laptop and clothes in a rucksack — buzzing about that if I’m honest.

It helped me turn from a typical Sunday league football player, and into someone with some pride in my sport and conduct, so I’m glad I did it... fellrunning only from now on though...!

Training in Thailand was a superb experience, 10km every morning up and down the same inner city street, then 5km every afternoon round the streets and temple... the remainder of the day training on concrete floor under a tin roof in the heat and humidity... when not taking an absolute beating I was either lying on bed, eating or having a massage... too tired for anything else at all... except for one memorable night in the cells!

It’s not necessarily the physical side that was too much (although broken ribs and black eyes aren’t fun)... but it was the mental stress of trying to hold down a “career” whilst training 3 hours a night, at the same time not being able to eat enough to fuel myself, due to cutting weight... one day I just decided to knock it on the head and start fellrunning, which I’d been interested in for years, but never taken the plunge.

So now I like to think that I train as hard as before, but able to relax a bit more with regards to food intake etc.

Good stuff on the pb.... I really must start to focus on training for the Snowdonia Marathon...

That does indeed sound nuts!!

I do love our Eastern European brothers and sisters though, I was made an honorary Pole the first time I visited there however many decades ago; imagine the biggest hardest bad ass Pole you can, actually lovely guy, but to look at you just see a physical beast. After several bottles of vodka, each, everyone was amazed I was still standing and so they challenged me to arm wrestle this dude, basically we deadlocked, everyone was revelling in delighted disbelief "he beats everyone" "How are you doing this?" they cried. Eventually I said to this guy, "I can't beat you, but you will never beat me either" - he looked at me, agreed, clasped both arms on my shoulders and said "You are Polish".

Unforgettable. Wonderful people.

In my last fight (around 4 years ago) my gym had a Palestine guy who was an utter beast... we’d been warned about no political symbols or songs on our ring entries.... he didn’t give a damn and came in wrapped in a Palestine flag to a deafening song and tirade about freeing the Palestine, and slagging everyone else off (can’t remember exactly who... I expect Israel and the USA). He then proceeded to knock his opponent out with a flying spinning kick which was absolutely stunning.

My fight was last of the night... I was the “away fighter” and the home crowd were baying for blood, and as I walked to the ring, shouting things like “smash him up” “kill him” and worse... it was the first and only time I had a proper rage and I was fuming at the start of the fight... how could the crowd have so much disrespect when I’d been training every day for years, much like their guy... you don't really get that kind of abuse in Muay Thai (unlike MMA/UFC where it’s more commonplace) so I was pretty taken aback...

To make matters worse I lost on a split points decision which I still maintain was an absolute robbery!

But yes the Poles were tough fighters and training partners... I had an amateur fight against one and felt like he’d broke my ribs in the 2nd round... I then proceeded to make it to the end of the 5th round where he sucker-punched me after the bell and something definitely cracked/snapped... I needed helping out of the ring after that one... ranks among the more unpleasant afternoons in my sporting life...

Oh my!!

Remind me never to take up kick-boxing

I am afraid my fights have all been street fights and always in self defence and as a last resort - fortunately I am a 'natural' (genetics - I am a pure mongrel heh) and every time floored the idiots with one punch, breaking multiple bones in their stupid faces, blood everywhere - out cold! I am not proud of these moments, but they were 100% justified. I am a pacifist at heart, but corner me, leave me with no option and well... all bets are off. I will defend myself to the death. Sometimes I wish I'd finished these scumbags off and pounded their flesh and bone to a pulp, it would have been easy, the world really would have been a better place without them going around bullying people. But as a right thinking person I realised this would not be the morally right thing to do, the aggressors were down, there was no need to go any further. I also probably wouldn't have got away with it and would have ended up in jail. Thankfully since then I have developed and honed my life skills and I think partly due to being older and generally perceived as less of a threat, these things simply don't happen any more - thank goodness!

Israel and Palestine are amazing places to visit, a truly profound education if ever there was one, definitely worth a trip if you ever feel so inclined; there's a company called Green Olive tours, run by a Christian, a Jew and a Muslim if I remember correctly, they offer dark tourism as a beacon of hope - their about page describes their stand in a much better way than I could here, have a read, it's awesome:

https://www.toursinenglish.com/2007/...ive-tours.html