Page 1450 of 1692 FirstFirst ... 45095013501400144014481449145014511452146015001550 ... LastLast
Results 14,491 to 14,500 of 16912

Thread: Today's Training

Nice one PeteS that sounds like a good session.

I clocked up 38.5miles/9550ft last week, which considering i had a rest day, and two 'short' races over the weekend, wasn't too bad.

However the next fortnight for me is perhaps the most critical of the entire year. Lakes Mountain 42 on Saturday, and Coventry Way Ultra the following weekend. These need to go reasonably well if i'm to be on track for the rest of the year.

Same situation last year. The LM42 was shortened, and i had to retire the Cov Way after 31 miles... should have shown up an issue in my long distance ambitions.

I realised the other week that due to a combination of injuries, race clashes, dnf's, dns's, and bad-weather shortenings, i don't think I've actually completed an ultra-distance race since the 10 Peaks in 2017. I'm undoubtedly a stronger runner now than i was then, but that fact alone is cause for alarm when my long-distance plans are full steam ahead.

With that in mind, training will be quite steady for a couple of weeks (although do hope to put in a decent shift in tomorrow's club session).

Easy 10k recovery today, mixed road and trail after yesterday's shenanigans, 30k trail which I had entered with the objective of not DNFing but after a few weeks of knee tendon pain downscaled the goal to just starting and bailing at 8k if in any pain.
    8k came and went, knee behaved all day, so kept going, worried that every time I glanced at HR it was far higher than it should've been. Felt okay, just slow. At 15k into uncharted territory, it was now my longest ever run, 20k the wheels fell off. Dropped off the back of the group Wobbly legs, nausea, I went up the last climb like I was drunk. The 5k downhill to the finish were a proper death march. I caught two runners, one of whom was being spectacularly sick (bright orange), and couldn't even stay with them. Finished in 4h20, 2h behind the winner, as they were dismantling the finish line. I wasn't last, but there were only about 10 behind me, out of 450.
    Great day though, don't want to tempt fate by saying it can only get better from here, but after just 2 races any result other than DNS/F is a bit of a bonus.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_summers View Post
    Easy 10k recovery today, mixed road and trail after yesterday's shenanigans, 30k trail which I had entered with the objective of not DNFing but after a few weeks of knee tendon pain downscaled the goal to just starting and bailing at 8k if in any pain.
    8k came and went, knee behaved all day, so kept going, worried that every time I glanced at HR it was far higher than it should've been. Felt okay, just slow. At 15k into uncharted territory, it was now my longest ever run, 20k the wheels fell off. Dropped off the back of the group Wobbly legs, nausea, I went up the last climb like I was drunk. The 5k downhill to the finish were a proper death march. I caught two runners, one of whom was being spectacularly sick (bright orange), and couldn't even stay with them. Finished in 4h20, 2h behind the winner, as they were dismantling the finish line. I wasn't last, but there were only about 10 behind me, out of 450.
    Great day though, don't want to tempt fate by saying it can only get better from here, but after just 2 races any result other than DNS/F is a bit of a bonus.
    Well done bob stay with it
    The older I get the Faster I was

Super Moderator
    Yeah, good stuff bob_

Well done Bob... showed some mental toughness there... I know the feeling of not being able to keep up with I'll/knackered people...

I passed a guy who was stopping to throw up every 100 yards on the way up Stoodley Pike on the Haworth Hobble. 20 minutes later he was flying past me as I hobbled to a dnf...

Cheers all, I think it was less about mental toughness and more that I was on the wrong side of the mountain with no other way of getting out than just grinding it out! Impressed by people's resolve to get to the end - the young woman I was with most of the day looked shocking at the 20k CP - sunken eyes, death white, and was being talked into getting into the Cruz Roja Landrover. Next time I saw her was when she jogged past a few k later while I was thinking about having a wee lie down! Think she finished 10 mins before me, massive effort.

Next race is Sunday, slightly more modest this time (20k x 1300m) but still just that bit too long for me at this stage I think, so I'll just treat it as a day out again.

Trotted round my 15k coast loop this morning. Felt I went quite well, total time just a couple of minutes off PB despite stopping twice to give people directions. Feels like I have something trapped in my hip, and my neck is pinging too, no doubt related, so I've been busy doing some 'nerve flossing' which I think I read about on here.

Said loop shares the first 8k with the race I did on Sunday. Garmin tells me I PBd that section on Sunday, so the mystery of why I blew up so spectacularly is beginning to look less mysterious...

A bit of Wainwright bagging today.

1st... Grasmere, Easdale, Gibson Knott, Helm Crag, Grasmere. 5.5 miles 1300ft

Afternoon... Glenridding, Sheffield Pike, Hart Side, Glenridding Mine zigzags, Glenridding. 6.5 miles, 2300ft... a very warm run out, even at a steady pace.

3 new Wainwrights... 35 to go...

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    A bit of Wainwright bagging today.

1st... Grasmere, Easdale, Gibson Knott, Helm Crag, Grasmere. 5.5 miles 1300ft

Afternoon... Glenridding, Sheffield Pike, Hart Side, Glenridding Mine zigzags, Glenridding. 6.5 miles, 2300ft... a very warm run out, even at a steady pace.

3 new Wainwrights... 35 to go...
    Nice one. I really should finish them off... 🙄

Nice plod out today accompanying Mrs DTR around the Coniston 14, nice to check out the views and have a general craic with folk