Page 1542 of 1690 FirstFirst ... 542104214421492153215401541154215431544155215921642 ... LastLast
Results 15,411 to 15,420 of 16891

Thread: Today's Training

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    Another fantastic solo race/ Strava segment attack yesterday. And of what I used to call the worst possible kind - just 1.23 miles in total up and down Raven Crag at the top of Thirlmere. The climb is brutal - c 850 ft in two thirds of a mile - and so is the descent over a mixture of old steps near the top, rocks and rubble and, yesterday, wet and slick leaves over mud, stones and tree roots.

Anyway I smashed it, coming in tenth ever on the climb only segment (out of 152) and third ever on the up and down segment (out of 69). 14:37 minutes to the top and 22:53 up and down.

In drier conditions I can do better .
    From the top of Wansfell Pike down the race descent to the kissing gate at the bottom of the steps is I believe 1,000 ft in 0.6 of a mile. Normally it takes me 7 to 8 minutes; yesterday it took me 11. Ascending took me 23 minutes. It is mainly grass with a few muddy patches and the occasional rock. It is said that the full descent - so including the final stretch on tarmac - has been done at 4 minute mile pace. Amazing if true.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    From the top of Wansfell Pike down the race descent to the kissing gate at the bottom of the steps is I believe 1,000 ft in 0.6 of a mile. Normally it takes me 7 to 8 minutes; yesterday it took me 11. Ascending took me 23 minutes. It is mainly grass with a few muddy patches and the occasional rock. It is said that the full descent - so including the final stretch on tarmac - has been done at 4 minute mile pace. Amazing if true.
    You’d need super dry ground for that though. And rock hard knees!

I’ve only gone up that track once I think, on the 5 Lakeland passes, but I’ll definitely look to give that a time attack next time I’m in Ambleside
    Last edited by Fellbeast; 27-10-2020 at 04:51 PM.

I can knock out a mile rep on the flat in 6mins, no problem. So you think that it must be fairly straightforward to hit 5mins/mile or less on a downhill fell section...

Until you try it. I think on the Jubilee Plunge downhill race (2.1 miles and about 1500ft descent), i only managed about 6:15/mile average... ok it was mid-winter, there were one or two stiles which slowed us down, and i was around 90secs behind the winner, but even he wasn't down at 5min/mile pace.

It's an unbelievable pace and i'd be more inclined () to think that 4min/mile pace would be more easily achieved on something like the easier parts of the Skiddaw descent, rather than something steeper and a bit more technical like Wansfell...

Club night and a track session.

300mtrs hard, 100mtrs steady. We were told 12 was the minimum. Managed 14. Didn't feel particularly fresh but kept up my recent placing in the group. But have done a lot of strength work last two days so little wonder I didn't feel too spritely.

8 miles.

Now debating whether to stick to my plan of another 5km track effort at the weekend, or to do another sharpener track session, similar to today.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I can knock out a mile rep on the flat in 6mins, no problem. So you think that it must be fairly straightforward to hit 5mins/mile or less on a downhill fell section...

Until you try it. I think on the Jubilee Plunge downhill race (2.1 miles and about 1500ft descent), i only managed about 6:15/mile average... ok it was mid-winter, there were one or two stiles which slowed us down, and i was around 90secs behind the winner, but even he wasn't down at 5min/mile pace.

It's an unbelievable pace and i'd be more inclined () to think that 4min/mile pace would be more easily achieved on something like the easier parts of the Skiddaw descent, rather than something steeper and a bit more technical like Wansfell...
    I did the Midsummer Madness half marathon based at Box Hill several times. The last half mile or so is the perfect angle for fast downhill running, on lovely smooth short grass. One year I was trying to hold off a chap on my shoulder - and only just succeeded - I did that half mile in 2 minutes and 2 seconds. I was going as fast as I could - so almost 4 minute mile pace. At school, like many, I could do 440 yards in 60 seconds or so, but I hated it.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    A couple of hours this afternoon completing the Wainwright Northern fells. Great Cockup, Meal Fell and Great Calva from Overwater. 17.5km/900m.
    Could have done without the hail storm. 😬

Nice one Pete...! The Northern Fells certainly don't give up easily, i recall a torrid day last winter from Mungrisdale-Keswick getting them completed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    I did the Midsummer Madness half marathon based at Box Hill several times. The last half mile or so is the perfect angle for fast downhill running, on lovely smooth short grass. One year I was trying to hold off a chap on my shoulder - and only just succeeded - I did that half mile in 2 minutes and 2 seconds. I was going as fast as I could - so almost 4 minute mile pace. At school, like many, I could do 440 yards in 60 seconds or so, but I hated it.
    I think the best potential descent for that kind of speed that i've seen, would be the long final descent at Up The Nab. Long, perfect gradient, non-technical.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    You may be aware that the fastest mile run ever recorded was at the Meltham Maniac Mile, with 400 feet of descent (so mean gradient about 1 in 13), although this is on road: https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...e-1251620.html
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Track session this morning. The intention had been to do either a 5km or 1 mile race effort. However during the warmup it became quite apparent that it wasn't really a day for pb's.... absolutely chucking it down and a howling and swirling wind.

So backed off a bit, and did 20 x 400metres hard/200mtrs easy. Didn't bother to time the hard efforts, but i certainly wasn't pushing the pace, and apart from several where i had other runners close to me on the track (race mode activated!), they were probably around 6:20-6:30/mile pace.

Still a good 9 miles in awful conditions, when i'd imagine most people were scheduling in a rest day.