Page 1443 of 1690 FirstFirst ... 44394313431393143314411442144314441445145314931543 ... LastLast
Results 14,421 to 14,430 of 16891

Thread: Today's Training

Full club sessions resumed last night, and great to be back training in a large group.

The session was 6 x 800m reps on roads/paths, with 2mins rest.

Whilst I've been very sharp in races, i expect due to a busy schedule over xmas, it has left me feeling a little tired during training. That was evidenced tonight, as i barely got under 6:00/mile pace. Even my last rep, with a supreme effort, could only get down to 5:50 pace.

But as a club-mate said to me last night... you don't get anything for finishing ahead of someone in training...

There's another clubmate of mine who I've had three fantastic battles with in the XC races this season. In training he's ahead of me (a good 10-15secs/mile ahead of me last night). I would say he's a better 'pure' runner than me, although we have vaguely similar 5km times. But when it comes to races i seem to get the upper hand (just). Perhaps i need the competition element of racing to bring my best performance out. Every close race we've had, I've been behind but just won't let it go, and pulled it back in the 2nd half.

Looking forward to another great battle at the XC on Saturday, followed by the Trigger sunday, a tough weekend by anybody's standards.

We also have a new recruit who just happens to have represented his country at the world mountain running champs last year, an experienced mountaineer, and a very good runner on he flat as well. Looks like he's going to throw his hand in at the first English Champs race (possible top 50 i reckon, if not better), and the Long Mynd Valleys race next month.... watch out Keswick/DPFR/Borrowdale... Coventry Godiva Harriers are coming...!!

Super Moderator
    Go Cov!

Club night and 7 miles through the roads of south-west Cov.

Half a dozen of us, fairly even ability, set off on what was intended by me to be a steady run. One of the guys was on for a fast one so I let him go, but after about 3 miles I couldn't resist and bombed off in an attempt to catch him. Managed to latch onto him just as we got back to the University grounds.

I must have been bombing along the final 4 miles as I pulled out 4mins on those I was running with early on. Coupled with a decent couple of miles on the track, a total of 9 miles tonight.

Big weekend coming up...

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    We also have a new recruit who just happens to have represented his country at the world mountain running champs last year, an experienced mountaineer, and a very good runner on he flat as well. Looks like he's going to throw his hand in at the first English Champs race (possible top 50 i reckon, if not better), and the Long Mynd Valleys race next month.... watch out Keswick/DPFR/Borrowdale... Coventry Godiva Harriers are coming...!!
    Made me laugh. I do hope you do well at LMV.

After a hard weekend i took the possibly-not-too-clever decision to attempt a track session last night.

4 x 400, 2 x 600, 1 x 800, 2 x 600, 4 x 400...… all with 200 jog recovery between. Intention was to just have a brisk runout without pushing too hard.

Managed up to the 2nd set of 600's then decided to call it a night. No point pushing too hard. Racing again (Mercia Hill Trial) on sunday and conscious of a busy race calendar through feb and march (and pretty much all the way through the year...!!)

Totalled 6.5 miles last night.

Club seems to be buzzing at the moment. Often in a large club it seems everyone pulling in different directions, and i think there's been a big feeling that every group has their own agendas and aims. But a concerted effort seems to have pulled everyone together a bit. I think that our 'masters' group are at the forefront of it, turning up in big numbers for league and champs events, even providing a few scorers. The coaches of the higher-performing groups, along with our sponsors, really motivating the young-guns and faster guys to show for the club. It was positively buzzing at the track last night... several endurance groups doing sessions, the sprinters groups, the throwers doing their stuff, and as usual a huge junior section.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Seems strange to be saying this in January, but it was a refreshing change to be running in the rain today.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

A very steady 9.5 miles on the cold and dark roads of Coventry last night. Only 6 hardy souls turned up for the Thursday night run, of which the 4 ladies opted for a session of reps and hills, leaving myself and another guy the only ones braving the mean streets.

Forced myself to take it very easy throughout, and my clubmate's fancy-dan watch telling us that we averaged 8:37/mile.... totally fine with me... needed some very steady miles in the legs to allow me to feel fresh for sunday.

Club night tonight. Being a track/road/xc club we are a bunch of southern softies... our planned session (4 mile road effort followed by 4 x 400m on the track) was off the menu, the track being closed due to a dusting of snow, and most of the group deemed it 'too dangerous' to run hard on the roads.

To be honest I wasn't overly bothered about this, still a little fatigued from Sunday, so joined the majority with a steady 6 mile road run instead.

Amusingly my clubmate and cross-country "rival" has conceded defeat on the xc for this season. I'm 4-0 up, although all races have been tight affairs. He has decided to cut his losses and begin his training for the Manchester Marathon a few weeks earlier than planned, and won't race any more xc this year!

He'll smash me in the road relays though, I expect!

Last night:
    7-mile tempo run along the sea front, with a couple of sprints thrown in for a laugh. Been resting an injured foot since last weds, so it was good to just be back on my feet. I’ve got into this stupid negative cycle with tempo runs – the past 3, I’ve got cross about halfway through and decided I was doing terrible, only to upload them to Strava and find I’ve just ran my "third-best 10k effort" again. Next time I train, my only target is to enjoy it and not start criticising before I’m done.

This morning:
    A few rapid descent reps on the way to work (400ft or so). I was interested to see how my new fell shoes did on the grass, but the mud was frozen harder than tarmac, so I guess I’ll find that out another day. Good, freezing cold fun.

Finished off another 10 week block of training this morning. Average of 41 miles/10900ft per week. Largest individual week was 75 miles/19000ft which coincided with a big weekend away in the lakes.

That's 30 weeks now where I've been at that kind of mileage/ascent.

Next ten weeks could be higher... 3 ultras and a week away in Skye. The next week will be an easier one though, no hard sessions planned. Have been racing a lot, dieting hard, and think it's caught up with me slightly as I ran the XC with a cold yesterday and feel awful today...