Page 1465 of 1690 FirstFirst ... 46596513651415145514631464146514661467147515151565 ... LastLast
Results 14,641 to 14,650 of 16892

Thread: Today's Training

17 miles today over two sessions. Nearly all steady.... no more than about 2.5 miles in total were at a decent lick i.e under about 6min/mile pace.

Felt much better today than the previous club session on Tuesday. Up to 42 miles and 8000ft for the week so far.

In slightly more alarming news, as we are having our track ripped up and re-laid, they have now taken all the accessories away, so I can do no more steeplechase practice before the actual race. Which means I’ll hit the first hurdle on the race having only gone over about 20 hurdles in practice (with wildly varying results!)

a typically short 4 miler this morning at 7 ish. Through Witton and Pleasington before a return on the canal.

Trying to beat the rain, but caught it within a few minutes. It was fantastic, cool, fresh and made the run much more pleasant.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

A brisk 13.5 miles/1250ft in 1hr45.... given that I started off very steadily, and spent at least 15 minutes building into it, I was fairly happy with the time and pace I achieved over the final hour.

Caps off a week of 68 miles and 16000ft. Which is my biggest “home based” week ever, i.e not built around a holiday in a mountainous area.

Next week will be nowhere near in terms of mileage. Other commitments, along with next weekend’s Four Fans Race, dictates a couple of single-session days, along with some easing off ready for the race. Hopefully still hit not far off 50 miles though.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    A steady 12.5km over Clent with 500m ascent. Took it easy but thanks to few days rest, this was the first time in a few weeks that I actually felt there was something in my legs. 3 days of cycling to come this week and then Kentmere next weekend.

Good luck at Kentmere Pete.... it was my first ever Lakes race back in 2015, and indeed where I first bumped into Corniceman of this parish.

A lot of fast running. On the positive side though, a good time can be recorded if the conditions are good.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Good luck at Kentmere Pete.... it was my first ever Lakes race back in 2015, and indeed where I first bumped into Corniceman of this parish.

A lot of fast running. On the positive side though, a good time can be recorded if the conditions are good.
    Cheers, Pete.

Strangely 2015 was the last time I ran Kentmere. I managed to run an extra 1km as I missed the stile through the wall near the end and didn't realise until I came out on the road lower down. Embarrassingly had to retrace my steps and lost all the places I'd gained on the descent.

There are a lot of very runnable sections, I seem to remember but I'm not as fit as I was 4 years ago so hoping for nothing more than fine weather and an enjoyable run out. A decent time will be a bonus.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Beacon Hill, Whittle Hill, Longcliffe Quarry: 82 minutes, longest run since before my injury in March. So I am now confident that I can get at least as far as Fan Nedd on the Four Fans race before blowing up. In contrast to Travs, I intend to do one more run, of about 4 miles, before that race.

I have previously posted that the entrance to Longcliffe Quarry has been sealed off with an impenetrable fence. When humans have finished doing the easy stuff, like sending men (and women) to the moon, they may take on the really hard technological challenges, like devising a teenager-proof fence. Although the fence across the path into the quarry has been broken down, there is another one across the track about 3/4 of the way down to the lake, which the teenagers haven't yet set to work on. I suppose at least that reduces disturbance to the coots and moorhens on the lake.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Club night tonight. With the track out of commission, we did our 10 x 400 metre reps around the perimeter of a cricket pitch instead.

With the high temperatures, and having already trained this morning, I treated the first few reps quite cautiously. Felt good and really kicked on, and within the space of 3 reps, went from about 5 seconds behind my usual group, to about 10 seconds in front. The final few were incredibly painful in the heat and the effort to break away from my usual group, but managed to maintain my gap out in front, but it certainly wasn’t getting any bigger!

Not exactly the textbook way to run this session, should have been knocking out consistent reps. But in the circumstances it was good to get in any hard effort at all.

A total of 13.5 miles and 1000ft today. With Saturday’s race and the heat, this evening will be my only real hard effort of the week. I’ll do a hill session of some level of intensity tomorrow, but everything will be nice and easy until Saturday is done.
    Last edited by Travs; 23-07-2019 at 09:25 PM.

My earliest run out over Darwen Tower this morning. Starting from Darwen near my wife's work at 5:45am, up the Tower from Sunnyhurst down to the Royal and back home through Tockholes.

6.5 miles. ≈ 900ft and 70 minutes.

So peaceful. I saw two people before the Tower and then no one else at all.

Nice and fresh up top with a decent breeze I appreciated, but very still and heavy lower down. Glad I got this out of the way early. I might not have made it a couple of hours later
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

After racing yesterday, all I was good for was a steady 6 miles/500ft recovery run this morning.

Brings the weekly total to 54 miles and 14000ft, which is a fair haul, considering I eased off towards the end of the week to rest for the race.

I’d expect similar next week in miles, if not climb, with a 3000m steeplechase next Sunday to finish off the week.