Page 1475 of 1479 FirstFirst ... 47597513751425146514731474147514761477 ... LastLast
Results 14,741 to 14,750 of 14783

Thread: Today's Training

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Beacon Hill and Whittle Hill, 73 minutes, including a couple of very short blackberry stops. Well, if I'm getting scratched by them, I might as well eat the fruit. And who ever heard of a fell runner refusing free food?

On the lower part of Beacon Hill I was remembering how (many years ago) I occasionally did reps on the path up to the summit: 75 metres of climbing which I typically did in 2m30s - 2m40s (with a fastest ever time of 2m21s), although I only used to do 4 reps usually. So I decided to time myself running up there today, and was quite pleased to do 3m12s, especially since I hadn't stopped for a rest at the bottom of the path.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    ... a couple of very short blackberry stops. Well, if I'm getting scratched by them, I might as well eat the fruit. And who ever heard of a fell runner refusing free food?
    I love doing this too - such a lovely thing to do

Started in childhood - hope to continue until the day I die - I guess it's the same for everyone?

Up at a canoe slalom training camp in Glasgow a couple of weeks ago I unexpectly found my self with 5 hours free, so decided to go for a long run on the Forth and Clyde Canal. I had no water or food; lucky I even had something to run in. Ok running for two hours in one direction and I was spotting all the blackberry bushes on the way out. Quite a few stops on the way back. To be honest it was a pretty boring run, canals do nothing for me.
    Last edited by DrPatrickBarry; 09-09-2019 at 11:14 AM.

Another little run today, almost identical performance as the last few... I seem to have plateaued!

3.39 miles, 368' climb in 37:13 mins

No adverse effects this time though, I mean no cramp like last time or actually even any pain at all really; I probably just wore too many clothes, I thought it was cold and raining, but as it turned out I hardly got wet at all and it was quite warm. So I had the waterproof and long pants on all the way round when I probably didn't need them. I guess it's all learning about what works for different conditions.

I think I need some new routes, or to extend the time/distance somehow, maybe do one day a week carrying weight or something else to make it harder, so when I am running free I perform better, the 6.5 mile I did seemed to work wonders in that regard.

Club night, and a challenging session on a surprisingly humid evening.

8 x 1km on road and path, with 75secs rest.

My best session for some considerable time. Not necessarily time-wise, but sometimes it just feels like itís gone well. Probably due to the fact that I felt totally free of injuries and niggles for the first time in a while...!

Started off steady (well we all have different interpretations of steady, but I knew I had another gear to go up if I felt good), and knocked out the first km in 3:35... then managed to gradually increase things, chasing down the group in front, until by the final two reps I got on their shoulder, and ran those last couple at around 3:20... was certainly pushing the last couple.

Perhaps I should have started a little faster and been more consistent. But it was a nice confidence-booster before 3 tough weeks of races...

8.5 miles tonight, of which 5 were hard effort.

Hahaha bit of a farce this evening, I misjudged the time so ended up going out as it was going dark, had an encounter with a farmer with a herd of sheep early on which I wasn't getting past (he was clearly having a tough time of it and had his hands covered in sheep shit so I forgave him his insults and just turned around) and thought sod it I'll just find another route to go on this evening, it all started fine, but then I ended up in a load of ferns that made it impossible to run, then I wasn't exactly sure where I was and was trying to navigate by looking at the horizon heh! Sorted it eventually, got rather muddy - which is always nice - felt great - ran well but...

3.4 miles, 409 climb in 48:41 mins - oh well!

Considering I have been doing this for 8 weeks now and I haven't missed a days training yet, it was about time something sorta went a bit wrong - coulda been much worse hey

Quote Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
    but then I ended up in a load of ferns that made it impossible to run,
    If by ferns you mean bracken, you should check yourself thoroughly for ticks. Lymes disease is rampant this year.
    Even I don't know who The Grump is.
    I. Bickerstaff

Yes, I do mean bracken.

Thank you - I am aware and do check - no ticks this time thankfully!!

I wasn't aware that Lymes was more prevalent this year, that's a shame

I hope people are aware and are being treated properly - funny to think our 'predators' are just little bugs and even smaller vira, viri, virii, or viruses.

I don't know - nothing is 'safe' any more - can't even go for a run without risk of death!

8.5 miles, club night on the roads, with a 2.1 mile time trial down the middle section if we wished. I vowed to take it easy tonight, with the LDMT coming up, but did chuck in a speedy mile as I got a bit bored.

LDMT Sunday, which I’m really looking forward to, while conscious that I haven’t done a race over 4hrs since the TWA back in April. The training is in the legs though... I’d be disappointed to get it right on the map (by no means guaranteed) but for my legs to fail me...

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    8.5 miles, club night on the roads, with a 2.1 mile time trial down the middle section if we wished. I vowed to take it easy tonight, with the LDMT coming up, but did chuck in a speedy mile as I got a bit bored.

LDMT Sunday, which I’m really looking forward to, while conscious that I haven’t done a race over 4hrs since the TWA back in April. The training is in the legs though... I’d be disappointed to get it right on the map (by no means guaranteed) but for my legs to fail me...
    Blimey Travs, looking through this thread and seeing how much training you do, I can't imagine your legs possibly failing you!

See you on Sunday.