Page 1692 of 1692 FirstFirst ... 6921192159216421682169016911692
Results 16,911 to 16,912 of 16912

Thread: Today's Training

Last nights RATRun was from an old favourite, The Cock and Pullet in Sheldon. The planned route was going to have 2,000 feet of ascent and even though my hamstring felt OK'ish I was going to just have a gentle trot around the fields on my own. However there were only four of us, one of which has an iffy calf, so we all went on a compromise steady route.

With a strong, cold, north westerly wind blowing in icy drizzle we set off over firmer than expected fields to Magpie Mine. On to Once A Week quarry and down to Horse Lane. Along the very lightly used concessionary path to Ricklow Dale, down into Lathkill Dale and up Bagshaw Dale behind Monyash. More fields to Nursery Fields Farm and on to Johnson Lane Farm followed by half a mile of tarmac back to Sheldon.

Just over 6.5 miles, a measly 459 feet in 1hr.

Huge portions of delicious, reasonably priced cheesy chips, proper cheese because Clair likes us, were washed down with equally good Farmers Blonde 4% from Bradfield Brewery. The same beer as last week but 60p per pint cheaper than The Ashford Arms which is no more than a mile away, as the crow flies!

The hamstring felt OK after yesterdays ride and run but is very sore now as I have been to see Charlie Baker, of On The Back Foot fell running podcast fame, who has massaged it, and everything around it, with his razor fingers!
    Last edited by Llani Boy; Today at 02:51 PM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Sometimes, I feel the need to simply head up onto a fell, to sit and slurp a coffee from a flask, and munch some sandwiches, while leisurely taking in the vista. No beads of sweat, rolling down the forehead, or heaving chest, and certainly without a nagging desire to flatter the watch, and speed off again. Today was one of those days.

So...fellWALK, from the Grammar School in Kirkby Stephen, along the Yomp Route (slight detour to Bullgill) and then up onto Wildboar, to savour the views from the lee of the trig and shelter. Then return back to Kirkby, with a further detour to Nateby and Hartley. 17.78 miles.

Cool, stiff NNW wind and the occasional brief shower, but the gods smiled on me at the summit, serving an interlude of sunshine and stunning 360 degree views, to the coast to the west and the Lakes and Pennine ridge (Crossfell to the 3 Peaks). After Kirkby, not a soul spotted, other than half a dozen fellponies.
    Am Yisrael Chai