Page 1540 of 1690 FirstFirst ... 540104014401490153015381539154015411542155015901640 ... LastLast
Results 15,391 to 15,400 of 16892

Thread: Today's Training

85 year old - 8 min mile - Chapeau!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-tees-54528218

Put my meager 11 min/mile 7 miler (1154 ft) over the fells behind my house today into perspective! Just goes to show - life, it's a long race . Only hope I can keep at it too.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    One of my shorter routes to the Outwoods. Felt like I was putting plenty of effort in, and the time wasn't as slow as some recent runs over that route.

This year there has again been maize in some of the fields that the footpath on the way home goes through. But it hasn't been a hindrance this year (compare https://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/show...ough-the-maize ). I suspect that the path got more use during lockdown, with a wider trod being formed as people stepped aside to keep their distance.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Club night, 4 x 1 mile reps off 2 minute rest. I was not looking forward to this by any means, due to a long run out on sunday, and plenty of weight work yesterday.

Took the first rep steady at 6:01, then 5:51, 5:50, 5:50.... quite pleasing to hold that pace on less than fresh legs.

12 miles for the day. Track session booked for saturday. Contemplating doing similar to my previous 10km tempo on the track, but stretching it out to 12km.

Master
    Buck Hill and the Outwoods, with the unusual privilege of a north-easterly wind to help me on the uphills. Felt good, and was slightly faster than on most recent runs on this route.

There was some small-scale forestry work going on in the Outwoods, with a sign on the path, "Volunteers at work". I'm not sure if the implication was that volunteers would be creating a worse hazard to passers-by than professional forestry workers.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Anthony i'm sure i saw some race in your area advertised around Halloween time...

In fact, a quick check and it's called the Skeleton Run, round the Beacon Country Park. I was a little tempted, but then saw they were encouraging fancy dress etc, which put me off a little... then i saw the price (£22 for a 5 mile race!!!) and that put me off completely...!

There's also a night of 5km races scheduled for late October at Prestwold Hall. Looks well organised, with Open Races, 20+min races, 18-20min, 15-18, elite... am sorely tempted to enter, but at present the Black Mountains race is scheduled for the day before... which will go ahead if restrictions don't change for the worse.
    Last edited by Travs; 15-10-2020 at 07:52 PM.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Anthony i'm sure i saw some race in your area advertised around Halloween time...

In fact, a quick check and it's called the Skeleton Run, round the Beacon Country Park. I was a little tempted, but then saw they were encouraging fancy dress etc, which put me off a little... then i saw the price (£22 for a 5 mile race!!!) and that put me off completely...!

There's also a night of 5km races scheduled for late October at Prestwold Hall. Looks well organised, with Open Races, 20+min races, 18-20min, 15-18, elite... am sorely tempted to enter, but at present the Black Mountains race is scheduled for the day before... which will go ahead if restrictions don't change for the worse.
    Yes, the Skeleton Run has been going for several years now. I've never done it, not just for the reasons you mention, but simply because I don't like running in the dark.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Fuelled by the traditional runners breakfast of a Mince Pie, embarked on another lonely track session.

12km. My aim was to keep it as near as possible to 4mins/km, but i had doubts as to whether i could hold that pace after a good week of training. However it all felt good this morning, and finished the session in 47:32

Finding these long track efforts to be very effective. They are tough mentally, as anyone who has raced distance on the track will no doubt testify. But they keep you honest throughout.

Having said that, i think its important to try and keep mentally fresh and looking forward to training, and i don't think i can face the step up to 14km as soon as next week... i think i might go for a 5km "race effort" next weekend instead.

A solid but easy day brings the weekly total to 64 miles and 10,750ft. A very positive week with an encouraging rep session and a good hard tempo effort yesterday.

Next week will probably see the miles drop a little, but hoping to get in the midweek club session then a 5km pb effort next weekend.

Hilly 5k over lunch. Coinciding with beautiful sunshine - low light picking out the autumnal colours.

I felt lethargic - it must be last night's online yoga session taking its toll. Marichi poses - A,B,C and D. A and C were possible, B and D were utterly impossible.

https://www.istockphoto.com/photo/wo...9890-106676883

Club night. 25 minute Kenyan Hills session, averaged 4:00/km. A fairly good day in total with 10.5 miles and 1400ft.