Page 1526 of 1690 FirstFirst ... 526102614261476151615241525152615271528153615761626 ... LastLast
Results 15,251 to 15,260 of 16891

Thread: Today's Training

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Whilst I think your theory is good, you will always be slower at 5km than you are at 1km. For this reason I would suggest you try 4 x 1km at 3:30/km pace. This is also a more ambitious target of 17:30.

On a broader training subject, it is worth mentioning that every speed of running, (whether it's 3:36/km or 3:30/km), will have a slightly different optimum technique for you. Unlike cycling, where your legs rotate in a fixed orbit, the path of your legs and the neuro-mechanical firing of the muscles alters. One of the main reasons for doing shorter intervals at race speed is to learn the optimum technique (for you) at that speed.
    Thanks for the advice Marco...

The reason i plumped for 3:36 per km (bang on my target pace to aim for a full 5km) was that in my recent block of training, my last rep session had been 4 x 1.25km at 3:45 pace, on a twisty-turny and by no means flat section of my local parkrun course.... then when i did my 5km time-trial i was able to replicate that pace over 5km on the flat and consistent running conditions of a track (i actually averaged 3:44/km on the time-trial).... so it's just based on my personal experience rather than any accepted science or theory.

Although i completely understand your point that running faster over 1km, you'd expect some slowdown over 5km.

I'll certainly be doing shorter reps at a higher pace... i'd usually be looking for around 77-78secs for my 400mtr reps, which is more like 3:15/km
    Last edited by Travs; 04-08-2020 at 03:00 PM.

Monday had a sore left knee after walk on Sunday.
    Tuesday had an upset stomach, still with me today and still felt the knee, especially coming down stairs.

So set off for a gentle test around Witton.

4 mile, 37:55

It was hard work, especially when hitting the slight inclines and sweat was pouring off me by the end. So probably got a bit of a bug.

Knee was OK once I got moving, so see what happens.

Try again on Friday all being well.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Yesterday: From Weasdale up Green Bell, Randygill Top (where the ewes are constantly smiling) Kensgriff and back. 8.2 miles just under 1500 ft. Stinking weather for August. Car temp guage suggested 10.5 degrees on the lane side. Stiff headwind, constant rain and dense hill cloud.

Today: 6.25 miles from the back door with 1217 ft ascent in 1 hr 12 mins. At least it's stopped raining and it's warming up.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Monday had a sore left knee after walk on Sunday.
    Tuesday had an upset stomach, still with me today and still felt the knee, especially coming down stairs.

So set off for a gentle test around Witton.

4 mile, 37:55

It was hard work, especially when hitting the slight inclines and sweat was pouring off me by the end. So probably got a bit of a bug.

Knee was OK once I got moving, so see what happens.

Try again on Friday all being well.
    I spent the week before last running along the north Anglesey coastline, clocking up about 25 miles over the week. Weirdly, my usual left knee ligament 'snapping' seemed to clear up, so I'm wondering if it's running up and down steep slopes that irritates it. Change of terrain for a period any help?
    Am Yisrael Chai

I had been setting club sessions for majority of lockdown.. adults and juniors as well.. quite easy to do really!
    My training is more hit and miss than trying to pin a donkey with a blindfold on!
    I seem to get one run of 3 miles in pace is around 6.55per mile!

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Up to the Outwoods, with a light shower while I was in the woods. There was a bright rainbow after I left the woods; even better, the pot of gold was a few hundred metres along the track, just past Hangingstone Farm. But when I got there, it had moved to the middle of the fields. Drat!
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

This weeks RATRun was from the Church Inn, Chelmorton. A 6 mile loop with 800ft of ascent took us up to Five Wells before dropping down across the A6 to Priestcliffe and along the Pennine Bridleway which took us down into Millers Dale. We then crossed back over the A6 and climbed steeply out of Topley Pike Quarry before returning to Chelmorton via narrow nettle filled walled lanes.
    Back at the Church, average cheesy chips were washed down with Moonshine from Abbeydale Brewery.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Had to do a little cross-training today (spinbike and ski-machine) due to a slight strain of the hip-flexor.

Absolutely typical... train consistently for 5 months, 60-70 miles a week, regular track sessions, some good fell outings, absolutely no issues at all...

48 hours before first race back, on a really gentle 5 mile jog, hip flexor strains!

I'm fairly sure it won't affect me too greatly tomorrow, i've certainly ran through worse, but pretty sure i'll pay for it next week.

Thruscross to Rocking Hall and on to Lords Seat, on to Pockstones and back to Thruscross. Lovely with lots of Kestrels and few people till on the way down. The heather is starting to bloom in God's own county.

Super Moderator
    16.8 mile / 1,908 ft YORM recce
    Poacher turned game-keeper