Page 1603 of 1692 FirstFirst ... 60311031503155315931601160216031604160516131653 ... LastLast
Results 16,021 to 16,030 of 16913

Thread: Today's Training

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post

I'm still desperately attempting to avoid Hedone getting her clutches into me; well for just a little while longer.
    As in so many things - timing is all.

And if I do have regrets on my death bed I prefer that it won't be failing to finish that last case of Petrus as the price for having done one more Wasdale.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

I suppose beetroot juice is nice if you can afford it, from what I remember it's pricey.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    This was my first ever fell race back in 2015...

Inadequately shod in cheap "trail shoes", within about three steps on the steep greasy slope of Parkin Clough i went absolutely flying. Welcome to fellracing!
    I've never done Bamford Sheepdog Trials, even though it would one of the easiest races for me to travel to by train. And now that I've mentioned it on the Forum, my jinx will probably ensure that I don't get there this year either.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

For a short race there's quite a substantial flat runout, to get to the bottom of Parkin Clough.

The descent takes a different route down (obviously descending Parkin Clough while others are climbing it would not be a great idea!).... rejoining the flat section back to the finish.

I recall not really having any proper clothing to wear... i wore an MMA "rashguard" (which is a skintight long sleeved top made out of spandex material to allow you to roll around on the floor in gyms/fights without damaging your skin.... and a Dark Peak vest which appeared to have came straight from the 70's over the top).... it didn't half make me sweat wearing it up a fell
    Last edited by Travs; 14-05-2022 at 08:44 AM.

I do Parkruns as speed training and today was gracing York Racecourse. Not the most exciting course, but flat and fast. I was pleased to record my fastert time (23.46) since January 2020. in my last Parkrun as a vet 60 - I go up to V65 very soon.

Nice one MattPo. I have only ever run one Parkrun and have no plans to repeat it although treating them as speed training seems a good idea.

Have you set a date for your final Welsh 2'000er yet?
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Track 3000mtrs in hot and sunny conditions today... i was still dripping with sweat around 40mins after crossing the line.

10:52 which in the circumstances i was pleased with, beating a couple of guys who i expected to give me trouble. 20secs off my pb but given the conditions and various training issues over the past couple of weeks, i can take it as a success and move on to the fells with confidence.

One of my clubmates is always close by me in races, but with him having just came back from warm weather training in Portugal i was expecting a bit of a whipping today... and so it seemed as he pulled 20metres on me in the first km. But i started to reel him in... plan was to get on his shoulder and stay there until a km to go, and then push on... but i got up to him and past him with 4 laps remaining without much trouble, so pushed on early.

Didn't dare to look behind until 300mtrs to go, and i had half a bend on the group of 3 behind me, so knew that wasn't getting pulled back, and with nobody in range in front, it was just a case of holding it together for the final minute or so.
    Last edited by Travs; 14-05-2022 at 06:19 PM.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Track 3000mtrs in hot and sunny conditions today... i was still dripping with sweat around 40mins after crossing the line.

10:52 which in the circumstances i was pleased with, beating a couple of guys who i expected to give me trouble. 20secs off my pb but given the conditions and various training issues over the past couple of weeks, i can take it as a success and move on to the fells with confidence.

One of my clubmates is always close by me in races, but with him having just came back from warm weather training in Portugal i was expecting a bit of a whipping today... and so it seemed as he pulled 20metres on me in the first km. But i started to reel him in... plan was to get on his shoulder and stay there until a km to go, and then push on... but i got up to him and past him with 4 laps remaining without much trouble, so pushed on early.

Didn't dare to look behind until 300mtrs to go, and i had half a bend on the group of 3 behind me, so knew that wasn't getting pulled back, and with nobody in range in front, it was just a case of holding it together for the final minute or so.
    Well done - sounds quite intense.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Nice one MattPo. I have only ever run one Parkrun and have no plans to repeat it although treating them as speed training seems a good idea.

Have you set a date for your final Welsh 2'000er yet?
    Monday 23rd May - my 65th Birthday!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Well done - sounds quite intense.
    Intense is a good word to describe track racing (and even track training to a lesser extent).

Just the whole atmosphere round it... its a lot more "official" than we're used to on the fells... numbers checked before getting on the start line, then lining up in order... then of course when the gun goes there's no taking it easy for the first mile like on the fells when you're heading out to the first big climb of the day... its straight into race pace...

Then there's spectators and coaches/clubmates who can see the lot, there's no place too hide, and a timekeeper shouting out your time every lap... and you can see your progress (or lack of it) as you come out of each bend and see the guy in front pulling away, or coming back to you...

Its very different to the fells... but for a confirmed race-aholic like myself, its absolutely fantastic stuff...!