Page 1451 of 1692 FirstFirst ... 45195113511401144114491450145114521453146115011551 ... LastLast
Results 14,501 to 14,510 of 16912

Thread: Today's Training

Not really today's training, but I managed my first 100 mile month in March for probably 10 years. Certainly I haven't since I started on Strava back in 2013.
    Combined with just over 8000ft of ascent as well.

I know some of you have 100 mile weeks to your name and can ascend 8000ft that in a day, but it does seem like a little battle won. The last time I did 100 miles in a month would have been back in 2008/9 when I was clocking up some regular long runs that got me competent for the Three Peaks and some other longer hill races as well as a 1:28 HM.

My target is to gradually improve in 2019 so I get to the point where I can confidently and competently have a bash at Sedbergh Hills and the Tour of Pendle later in the year and carry that through to next year.

Typically I have an issue, like my back goes big time, or I twang a calf. Fingers crossed
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by bob_summers View Post
    Next race is Sunday, slightly more modest this time (20k x 1300m) but still just that bit too long for me at this stage I think, so I'll just treat it as a day out again.
    Today's training is messing about with ice packs again
    Perfect conditions yesterday, glorious route - left the village and started a 7k climb which gained 800m. Kept a lid on the effort, trying to learn from last week. Began the ridgeline with good legs and loads in the tank, but suddenly couldn't put weight on my foot. Felt like the forefoot was twisted or something. Managed to keep moving at a slow jog on the flat, but uneven ground and descents reduced me to a painful limp and all the places I'd made up on the climb began to repass me - I was pretty close to the back anyway so resigned myself to limping in last. In the end there were still a few folk rolling in 20 mins after me, seems that beast of a first climb took its toll! So, spectacular route but frustrating I finished with loads of gas left in the tank that I couldn't use.
    Today, the foot is not visibly swollen, not painful to touch or bruised, but I still can't put weight no it.
    Due at the physio anyway on Weds, but I've self diagnosed (!) metatarsalgia.

A nice little crowd at the top of the climb to Illurdi 1072m

A couple of decent hill sessions over the last two days...

Wednesday was a stairclimber session of 50mins and covered 3600ft.

Yesterday was a fairly strenuous treadmill session, 50mins, 4 miles, 2700ft. The combination of the heat coming off me, mixed with the cold air, meant i was quite literally 'steaming' at the end of the session, with steam rapidly evaporating off my head, back and shoulders.

Track session.... 1 x 1200m, 2 x 800m, 3 x 400m, 4 x 200m....

After Sunday's 40 miles I had no expectations, other than to have a bit of a stretch out.

Started towards the back, with the guys and girls who are at about 21-22min 5km level. As each rep went on I slowly pushed my way through, but decided to call it a day after the first 400m rep, having done 2 miles of fairly reasonable effort. Total 5 miles including warm up.

Last week finished another 10 week 'block'... it marked a 30th week of averaging 40 miles/10000ft (actually it should be 40.... I'm being a little harsh on myself as the previous weeks 31-40 were 38 miles and 9500ft, but I'm not counting them).

The past ten weeks also included a full week of rest which hampered the average a little.

The next ten weeks should be decent stats.... a big week in the Lakes next week training and racing, Welsh 1000 Metres, and two ultras.... (amongst other things).

I did my 1st Ultra on Saturday. Had a plan to just take my time and get 30mls in my legs. Walked/ran. Spent a lot of time on my own (preferred it that way). After the half way point I just enjoyed it as I was closer to the finish than the start. Stayed in the moment and didn't stress. I'd done a recce of all of it over the weeks so no need to get the map out.
    Anyway - Today's training. Recce the Kinder Downfall Fell Race. Nice and easy I thought. Loved it! Legs felt great and so did energy level. HR was in recovery the whole time. Happy with that :-)
    Beautiful day too.

Good work!!

Quote Originally Posted by RaceTheSweeper View Post
    I did my 1st Ultra on Saturday. Had a plan to just take my time and get 30mls in my legs. Walked/ran. Spent a lot of time on my own (preferred it that way). After the half way point I just enjoyed it as I was closer to the finish than the start. Stayed in the moment and didn't stress. I'd done a recce of all of it over the weeks so no need to get the map out.
    Anyway - Today's training. Recce the Kinder Downfall Fell Race. Nice and easy I thought. Loved it! Legs felt great and so did energy level. HR was in recovery the whole time. Happy with that :-)
    Beautiful day too.

A very hard session this morning, 90mns, 9 miles, 4100ft. Brings the week to a close and a total of 31 miles and 11500ft.... considering ran a 40 mile (flat) ultra 7 days ago I'm very pleased with those numbers. Happy how I recovered physically... apart from soreness in the toe I was able to have a short track session on the Tuesday, and was raring to go hard again by Thursday...

Next week is in the Lakes so hopefully some big miles.... whether I'll hit the 85 miles of the Skye week I'm not sure, as got two races, but should be a productive week...

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    A very hard session this morning, 90mns, 9 miles, 4100ft. Brings the week to a close and a total of 31 miles and 11500ft.... considering ran a 40 mile (flat) ultra 7 days ago I'm very pleased with those numbers. Happy how I recovered physically... apart from soreness in the toe I was able to have a short track session on the Tuesday, and was raring to go hard again by Thursday...

Next week is in the Lakes so hopefully some big miles.... whether I'll hit the 85 miles of the Skye week I'm not sure, as got two races, but should be a productive week...
    I'm sure the soreness in your toe was eased by Sunderland 4 Coventry 5 Travs!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I'm sure the soreness in your toe was eased by Sunderland 4 Coventry 5 Travs!
    Too right... I don't care what happens for the rest of the season, so long as we beat those b******s....!

A good day today in the Lakes... Total 18 miles 5300ft...

Firstly... Coniston-Levers Water-Levers Hause-Grey Friar-Brim Fell-Coniston Old Man-Coniston.

Then a couple of "cheap" Wainwrights... Cold Pike from Wrynose, and Hardknott from Hardknott Pass.

Had hoped for another Wainwright this evening, but settled for a steady 4 miles round Nether Wasdale.