Page 1565 of 1690 FirstFirst ... 565106514651515155515631564156515661567157516151665 ... LastLast
Results 15,641 to 15,650 of 16891

Thread: Today's Training

Club session last night. 8 x 200mtrs with 1 minute rests.

Was quite a welcome session with a view to the weekend race... short but intense.

Went at it hard, and was knocking them off in 33-34secs... started to feel very fatigued after 6 reps but dug in and managed 32secs for the final two.

A very quick session by my standards, hovering around 4:20-4:30/mile pace... very short reps of course, and there's no way i can string that pace together for even 1500mtrs at the weekend... but does give some confidence that i can try and push my limits a bit on sunday.

7 miles total.

Club night and just a slow 6 mile off-road run, around an area which has been somewhat affected by the works for HS2.

Pace was slow, well above 8min/mile average, but this suited me fine after a number of hard sessions in the previous 7 days.

10.5 miles for the day, including this mornings similarly easy run.

4.42 miles / 289ft / 42:07
    a few loops around Witton. Legs felt papped.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Today finally saw a long-awaited return to racing, and the fury of a 1500mtr track race.

I'd put a predicted time of 4:57 for the seedings, although the last few club sessions had given me some confidence that i might sneak 4:50-4:55 if things went well.

I was comfortably the oldest in my heat, and let the young guns go off quickly down the opening straight, but was up to 3rd or 4th by the end of the first lap, which i thought i'd taken quite easily, only for the timekeeper to shout out "70secs". The middle stages of the race saw myself and a lad from Bromsgrove & Redditch pull clear of the pack, leaving an epic final lap in which we swapped the lead 3 or 4 times, and then a couple more times again down the final straight, before he proved too quick in the final 20 metres, leaving me to take the silver medal.

4:45 which i was incredibly pleased with. Equates to 76secs/lap, and considering i'd been doing my hard track reps last weekend in 74-75secs, i think that is the absolute most i could have got out of myself in current fitness level.

Although have to thank the eventual winner as we really pushed each other on, especially on the final lap when agony was setting in. I definitely couldn't have managed that time if i had been out leading on my own. I expect he felt the same...

A below-par 56.5 miles for the week... with keeping fresh for the race, and my move northwards really kicking into gear, i just haven't been able to manage consistent two-run days... and i expect the next 2 or 3 weeks to be even lower in terms of mileage. Not to mention the return of gyms from tomorrow.

But another positive week.
    Last edited by Travs; 11-04-2021 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Today finally saw a long-awaited return to racing, and the fury of a 1500mtr track race.

I'd put a predicted time of 4:57 for the seedings, although the last few club sessions had given me some confidence that i might sneak 4:50-4:55 if things went well.

I was comfortably the oldest in my heat, and let the young guns go off quickly down the opening straight, but was up to 3rd or 4th by the end of the first lap, which i thought i'd taken quite easily, only for the timekeeper to shout out "70secs". The middle stages of the race saw myself and a lad from Bromsgrove & Redditch pull clear of the pack, leaving an epic final lap in which we swapped the lead 3 or 4 times, and then a couple more times again down the final straight, before he proved too quick in the final 20 metres, leaving me to take the silver medal.

4:45 which i was incredibly pleased with. Equates to 76secs/lap, and considering i'd been doing my hard track reps last weekend in 74-75secs, i think that is the absolute most i could have got out of myself in current fitness level.

Although have to thank the eventual winner as we really pushed each other on, especially on the final lap when agony was setting in. I definitely couldn't have managed that time if i had been out leading on my own. I expect he felt the same...

A below-par 56.5 miles for the week... with keeping fresh for the race, and my move northwards really kicking into gear, i just haven't been able to manage consistent two-run days... and i expect the next 2 or 3 weeks to be even lower in terms of mileage. Not to mention the return of gyms from tomorrow.

But another positive week.
    Well done Travs.

Hopefully your progress will continue when your racing resumes in the hills too.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Well done Travs.

Hopefully your progress will continue when your racing resumes in the hills too.
    Well i certainly hope so... my lofty ambition is to be in a position to score the odd point in the V40 category of the Eng/British Champs races when that time comes round (2022)..... this will typically require around a 10 minute improvement over a 2hr medium race, based on my performances early last year.

Master
    Well done Travs - a great time.

Return of the gym!

Felt the enforced break a bit more than last time, although i have to concede that i went in there feeling pretty lethargic after yesterday's race.

The run home was a bit of an ordeal... but an easy 8 miles in the bag and a good gym session.

Club night tomorrow, which i have a feeling i'll be taking easy!

Master
    I joined our local gym just under 2 years ago having given myself psoas bursitis doing multiple recces for the Great Lakes race, and then doing the race itself. I wanted access to stationary bikes and treadmills. Once recovered, as I used to enjoy going and using the various bits of equipment, I signed up for 12 months.

Come lockdown, despite being closed, they continued to take £5 a month from me, which I did not resent, but when the 12 months was up I decided to leave. Even though I emailed them to let them know, and filled out their hard to find cancellation form, I received multiple threatening emails until they eventually desisted. I won't be rejoining.
    Last edited by Mike T; 13-04-2021 at 07:12 AM.

My gym here in Cov have been great... a small independent gym... has a reputation as a bit of a "meathead" and "heavy weights" gym... but in reality it just has a higher proportion of people who are more dedicated to their particular sport... be that Boxing, Rugby, competitive weightlifting, and myself the lone runner.

I pay £26 a month and i've kept paying all the way through the previous year, despite their offers to cancel/suspend. And i intend to keep the membership up after i move in order to have access on my returns to the Midlands.

It will be a little more difficult to find such a great regular gym in Penrith... i've made a few enquiries and found at least one that looks very promising... but the simple fact is in a large city like Cov there are gyms of all shapes and sizes in their dozens... there just isn't the same level of choice and competition away from the cities.

Although i do intend to cut my gym time down from sometimes 5 or 6 sessions per week, to 2 or 3, due to having the fells close at hand...