Page 1523 of 1691 FirstFirst ... 523102314231473151315211522152315241525153315731623 ... LastLast
Results 15,221 to 15,230 of 16910

Thread: Today's Training

WP you seem to be consistently around 8-8:30min/mile, whether you do 3 miles or 7 miles. That must be a good sign...

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    WP you seem to be consistently around 8-8:30min/mile, whether you do 3 miles or 7 miles. That must be a good sign...
    Not really
    As soon as I stick a hill in there it heads north somewhat, but partly that's because I really take my time downhill when just training to take care of my back.

7 miles, 1000 ft, 76:40 setting off from Darwen early and back home via Sunnyhurst Woods, Darwen Moor, Roddlesworth and Tockholes.

To be honest, I think if I got in a 5k race, I'd be able to run around 23 minutes which is the best I've been for a couple of years - probably try Preston Parkrun when they get back going. But in reality my real target is to run 9:00 mile pace steady for up to a couple of hours which then gives me a chance of getting through the cut offs on the Three Peaks.
    Long walk tomorrow with a pint and lunch all being well
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

4 mile, 35 minutes
    Just a shorty up the canal to Feniscliffe playing fields. The exterior of the area is a nice short-course cross country loop with a little 100 yard drag up each lap.
    so I ran there, 4 laps which are around 1km each and then back with half a dozen 30-40 second strides on the return home.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Tonight's RATRun was from the Packhorse Inn, Crowdecote down the Dove valley to Pilsbury Castle and up onto the ridge and back towards Crowdecote over some Permitted Access land which was lovely tough running with only some faint sheep trods to follow. The main group continued up High Wheeldon but I wimped out, as my groin was giving me jip, and jogged back down the road to the pub.
    Did 6 miles in total on a lovely evening.

Back at the pub chips were washed down with a very good couple of pints of Hartington Bitter from the nearby Whim Brewery.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Beacon Hill and Windmill Hill: 62 minutes. I felt good until after coming off Windmill Hill, but then seemed drained of energy for the final 2 miles back home. I am starting to wonder if I will ever again do this route in under an hour.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Beacon Hill and Windmill Hill: 62 minutes. I felt good until after coming off Windmill Hill, but then seemed drained of energy for the final 2 miles back home. I am starting to wonder if I will ever again do this route in under an hour.
    Never give up...!

i have a facebook friend from the Shropshire area... a runner of some significant past repute on the flat and the hills (you may have even raced against him in your glory years!)... he is talking about getting back under 20mins for 5km by his 60th birthday (i believe he is nearing his 59th)

Potter around one of my races today, the Royal Rumble route at Tockholes starting with Roddlesworth Woods and then over Darwen Moor.
    It was wet through.
    I'm on my 2nd pair of Adidas Terrex - which are my first Goretex running shoes. First time today I've had problems with water getting in the shoe. It made a couple of descents really tricky as my feet were sliding around inside the shoe.
    It wasn't the puddles that caused the water to get in, it was the dense, wet vegetation.
    5.3 mile, 63 minutes, 1000ft
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Never give up...!

i have a facebook friend from the Shropshire area... a runner of some significant past repute on the flat and the hills (you may have even raced against him in your glory years!)... he is talking about getting back under 20mins for 5km by his 60th birthday (i believe he is nearing his 59th)
    Thank you for the encouragement. My fitness seems to fluctuate randomly, and it seems to have taken a dive since last year, but who knows what will happen next year?
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Potter around one of my races today, the Royal Rumble route at Tockholes starting with Roddlesworth Woods and then over Darwen Moor.
    It was wet through.
    I'm on my 2nd pair of Adidas Terrex - which are my first Goretex running shoes. First time today I've had problems with water getting in the shoe. It made a couple of descents really tricky as my feet were sliding around inside the shoe.
    It wasn't the puddles that caused the water to get in, it was the dense, wet vegetation.
    5.3 mile, 63 minutes, 1000ft
    I had the Terrex X-King which were the closest they got to bona-fide fell shoes. Used them for a season. In the dry i thought they were as good as anything else (and looked pretty sexy... plain black).... In the wet and slop just didn't quite live up to the Inov8 and VJ of this world... they were a decent alternative though but not sure they still make them... They were very durable though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/adidas-outd.../dp/B01HLQG6RQ
    Last edited by Travs; 18-07-2020 at 04:50 PM.

A much quieter week this week due to other things going on, but managed a solid 23 miles 4900ft over the weekend.

Hope to bump up the miles again starting tomorrow, and of course look forward to the long-awaited gym reopening next saturday!