Page 1614 of 1692 FirstFirst ... 61411141514156416041612161316141615161616241664 ... LastLast
Results 16,131 to 16,140 of 16912

Thread: Today's Training

A steady recovery run this evening in my new Brooks Adrenalin tarmac shoes. A bit firmer ride than the New Balance but still very comfortable.

Four lengths of a 1.5 mile stretch of flattish tarmac on Moor Lane, Flagg, giving me 6 miles, 330 feet in 49:12.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Up Beacon Hill and back via Windmill Hill; a little over 61 minutes, so quite fast by recent standards. Going up a gravel track at a moderate incline in the lower part of Beacon Hill Country Park, there was a mountain-biker ahead of me, twiddling in a very low gear on his fat-tyred machine. I soon passed him, and he exclaimed, "Oh, how embarrassing!".
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

30 miles this week, of which 60% was just the weekend alone. To be honest it was 30 miles more than i was expecting.

So one of my primary targets of the year, racking up some v40 champs points, is just about over, as i think the chances of picking up points at what is always a strong field at Langdale in October are quite slim.

However i can't look at it as too much of a negative, as the work i've put in has allowed me to pick up some decent times and results elsewhere.

So i move on to my other primary target for the year, and that is going under 3hrs at the Stretton Skyline... current pb is 3:10...

That is only 3 weeks away so need to freshen my body up after the past week and get down to some hard work.

This week will hopefully see me return to club training, before finishing work on thursday for a week and a half and getting some serious fell time and racing under my belt... Potentially the Matterdale Horseshoe and Sedbergh Hills next weekend, although depending on my feet and how i brush off yesterday's ordeal at Bradwell, i may only race the once.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    This week will hopefully see me return to club training, before finishing work on thursday for a week and a half and getting some serious fell time and racing under my belt... Potentially the Matterdale Horseshoe and Sedbergh Hills next weekend, although depending on my feet and how i brush off yesterday's ordeal at Bradwell, i may only race the once.
    I was thinking about Matterdale, but i think they've fallen into that trap of 'more climb is better'. The old route favoured leg speed on the run in and had a more balanced ideal skillset, the new one will favour just about any keswick runner and his dog. I'll have to think about it a bit.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Master
    Hill reps in the Outwoods:
    2:31
    2:35
    2:33
    2:38
    2:46
    2:37
    The 2:31 is the fastest that I have ever done a rep on this hill, but the 2:46 is slower than I've done since the days when I was having to avoid muddy patches on the lower part of the hill.

This is the first time I can recall taking water with me on a training run of less than 10 miles (although that partly reflects the rarity of me doing training runs of 10 miles or over). I drank after the third rep, but I don't think I can blame that for the remaining three reps being slower.
    Jorge Luis Borges

After the best part of a month where i've been in the wars... racing hard, trying to recover, and various feet/leg issues... made a return to club training last night.

9 x 1 minute reps on the grass. First recovery was two minutes, reducing by 15 seconds each time... therefore the final rest period was only 15 seconds.

Considering the layoff i've had from these type of sessions, i seemed to cope well enough. Still felt a bit stiff from over-compensating for my heel issues.

On looking at my times, the first rep was perhaps a little over-enthusiastic, under 5:25/mile pace. All the subsequent reps were at 5:30-5:40/mile pace.

If i was firing on all cylinders i'd be wanting to see the vast majority of the reps ducking under 5:30/mile.

The torrential rain started to hit just as the session was wrapping up, and it was a lovely couple of miles warm-down run in the downpour.

9 miles, on top of 5 easy miles in the morning, a solid start to the week.

A good track session last night on a humid evening.

3 x 500mtrs (98, 97, 97)
    1 x 1 mile (5:44)
    3 x 500mtrs (99, 98, 97)

First set of reps were about what i wanted, but was pleasantly surprised with the mile time, and doubly pleased to then maintain my reps in the 2nd half, although it was very hard work to do so.

10.5 miles for the session, on top of 5 easy miles in the morning. A solid day.

Have decided against racing at both Matterdale and Sedbergh Hills this weekend.... whilst i am now running totally pain-free, there is still open/new skin on my heel, and its not worth the risk of stripping it off again.

Am now off work until after bank holiday, so will be banging in lots of easy fell miles, and will see how my feet look prior to Dufton Show next weekend.
    Last edited by Travs; 19-08-2022 at 08:26 AM.

First run for 10 days on yesterday evenings RATRun. Six of us set off from The Anglers Rest, Millers Dale on a muggy, drizzly evening. Straight up onto the Limestone Way and then down into Monks Dale . For about a mile in this dale it is impossible to run due to a jumble of underfoot limestone rocks which were extra slippery from the drizzle, fallen trees courtesy of Storm Arwen, roots, brambles and nettles. The other two miles, which continues into Peter Dale has lovely grassy running between limestone cliffs.

At Dale Head we turned left on the road for a few yards before another left took us up through fields to Hargatewall. Down through Wormhill on the nice grassy roadside verge and past the memorial to James Brindley, pioneer builder of Britain's Canals. A steep slippery drop, on damp limestone, into Millers Dale and then alongside the River Wye to the station and finally a short section of the Monsal Trail back to the Anglers.

Once inside the very busy pub, cheesy chips were washed down with Farmers Blonde 4% from the Bradfield Brewery

Just under 7 miles, 910 feet in a very slow 1hr 17 min. My heel is still not right with what I am now sure is plantar fasciitis. I have got plenty of exercises to try and fix it and last nights run doesn't appear to have made it any worse so hopefully will be able to get some more marathon miles in.

I do wonder though whether starting to do longish runs on tarmac has caused it.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post

Just under 7 miles, 910 feet in a very slow 1hr 17 min. My heel is still not right with what I am now sure is plantar fasciitis. I have got plenty of exercises to try and fix it and last nights run doesn't appear to have made it any worse so hopefully will be able to get some more marathon miles in.

I do wonder though whether starting to do longish runs on tarmac has caused it.
    I hope you get better in time for Eyam (well, actually I don't, the M60 competition in the pre-entries for that race is already too strong ).

I thought plantar fasciitis would give pain on the sole, not the heel. Have you got a proper diagnosis?
    Jorge Luis Borges

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    On the Isle of Skye today. We were planning a long walk from Sligachan but the weather in the Cuillens was attrocious so we stocked up the van in Portree and then did a short walk up Ben Tianavaig instead. This served as a good loosener for a run so I repeated the route with a few variations. 2 x 6k with approximately 450m ascent each time.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast