Page 1555 of 1690 FirstFirst ... 555105514551505154515531554155515561557156516051655 ... LastLast
Results 15,541 to 15,550 of 16891

Thread: Today's Training

Master
    This morning's HIIT session thigh burner: Hostage squats. Jump your feet in and out, the width of a yoga mat, staying as low as possible in a semi-squat position. 20 seconds work 10 seconds rest x 8. So about 320 mini jumps. Not popular with the HIIT participants!

Club session. 3 mile tempo, followed by 3 x 1 minute hill reps.

I changed it slightly. Went for a treadmill session, partly due to the rain and partly due to being able to extend those hill reps to my preference.

So did the 3 mile, then 3 x half-mile hill reps with half-mile flat recovery between.

Gave a total of 9 miles including warmup/down in about 1hr07

Whilst in Buxton for shopping today I decided to walk the dogs whilst there and went up to the TP at Burbage Edge. Full waterproofs for a very windy and wet walk over a very muddy and boggy terrain but extremely enjoyable all the same. I don't think the dogs would agree.

Only a 4 miles loop and 767 feet in 1hr 17 min. Not a soul to be seen and the only wildlife, a dozen or so Red Grouse.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

A cold but clear evening for tonight's headtorch run with a pal. We set off from Heathcote Mere and followed a series of bridleways before a steepish climb up to todays TP on Wolfscote Hill. A few patches of snow on top and then a lovely grassy descent down to the farm that contains the Whim Brewery. Down further into Beresford Dale and the River Dove and then its continuation, Wolfscote Dale. Only small patches of flooding along the Dove which was in full spate but mainly held within its banks.

However, when we got to its confluence with the stream or rather river coming down Biggin Dale there was nowhere for that water to go so we had a spot of wading to do to get into Biggin Dale. Once in the dale it was a combination of slow going on large limestone scree above the flooded stream or wet grassy, what would be meadow in summer. At the top of Biggin Dale we joined the tarmac road for half a mile back to Heathcote Mere.

A total of nearly 7 miles and 870 feet in a very steady 1hr 13 mins.
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 21-01-2021 at 11:39 PM.

Had a 5km "race" with a mate from a rival club this morning.

Warming up round the circuit, i didn't want to do it, was very slippery on the corners and down one of the long straight sections. But my mate insisted it would be ok, and that was it then, couldn't be seen to back out, could i...?!?

Glad i did it though, ran 18:14 which knocks 20secs off my pb. The ice must've been worth another 10secs surely, so a bit of confidence that i might topple that 18min barrier at some point.

As to the race with my mate, i led for 3km, then tried to put in a spurt, which didn't go so well as by 4km he was in front! He stretched it out in the final km and crossed the line in 17:59...

The competition made a huge difference.

Got all geared up for a bike ride today but as I was about to leave it started snowing and sticking onto very cold roads so some sensibility clicked in and I went back indoors and un-geared.

In its place a lovely walk with the dogs, during which the snow stopped, was had on the moors above Totley taking in what became todays TP on Flask Edge. I then did a loop that took in part of the Longshaw Estate.

Fortunately I chose to wear my Dunlop Purofort wellies as the paths and tracks were very slushy and muddy, often calf deep. The few walkers I saw were spending ages trying to find drier diversions and mountain bikers were doing a lot of pushing with no gradient to blame.

These wellies are great to walk in and have a proper cleated sole that gives plenty of grip and ankle support on most terrain.

A total of 6 miles,422feet in 1hr 57mins.

A steady 13 miles today bought a very pleasing week to a close.

68 miles, a decent pb at 5km, and weight back under 81kg.

Next week, i must get my hard hill session in, having sacrificed it this week for the benefit of my 5km attempt. Also a club session, and hopefully a decent long XC run next weekend. And taking a good hard critical look at my diet.

Club session... 5 x 1 mile with 2mins rest between.

9 miles in total. Not much to report, worked hard and felt good.

Weight back at 80.5kg so heading slowly in the right direction.

A headtorch run this evening with a pal. Didn't get off to a good start as on his arrival in Flash he discovered that he had forgotten his headtorch. I fortunately had my emergency one in my rucsack so off we went.

It started to rain as we set off over the fields alongside Oliver Hill and up to Axe Edge End. We then hit the moorland along with the clag and the combination of reflected light and the waterlogged ground made for slow going. We passed the 5 stones and were soon crossing the road and picked up the path that took us up to todays TP at Axe Edge.
    Back down to the road and we picked up the path up to Cheeks Hill, Staffordshire's County Top. A bit of a wander in the clag before picking up the track down to Readyleech Green, along the road to Oxenstitch and back over the fields to Flash.

An enjoyable 6.75 miles and 850 feet in 1hr 13 mins. A good reminder of how the clag can be disorientating, even in places that one knows reasonably well.

Went out this morning with the intention of doing some hard km reps... but the driving wind, rain and sleet meant it wasn't really a morning for knocking out quality speedwork, so turned it into a steady run instead.

10 miles at about 7:45/mile pace, including a run through the village of Bulkington, which i believe has the honour of being the largest village in the country.