Page 1575 of 1689 FirstFirst ... 575107514751525156515731574157515761577158516251675 ... LastLast
Results 15,741 to 15,750 of 16886

Thread: Today's Training

I do dynamic work to warm up before a hard session or race... whether that be strides/sprints, gradually increasing in intensity, or perhaps even a few drills.

Still a fan of static stretching after a session... although strangely i do a routine of stretching after every easy run, but usually forego it after a race/hard run, as too tired to stretch properly.

The principal of dynamic work before exercise, and static work after, is one i have seen throughout my kickboxing days and within my running club, so it is clearly popular (of course that doesn't mean it's necessarily correct... seems to be contradictory "evidence" for everything nowadays)

A gentle run out, over and around Gt Orme.

Ended up being 9 miles once I'd traversed the top, dropped into town, then followed the undulating road round the edge of the Orme.

Was a relief to reach the West Shore and dip in the sea to cool down.

The prospect of going up to 3x the duration in this heat, under race conditions tomorrow, is quite worrying.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Reps round the field near my home, with unusual (for me) consistency of speed: all 8 reps between 2m05s and 2m09s. I'm not sure whether this was influenced by the three ladies who arrived between reps 2 and 3 to have a picnic a few metres from my circuit; although they were seeing me at the slowest part of the circuit, where it is slightly uphill and I am having to dodge molehills. [Obviously in deference to one particular forumite, I wouldn't want to step on a molehill.]
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Final total for the week was 64 miles. Although it was all about getting to yesterday's race in one piece and going for a pb...

In the end yesterday i didn't get the time i had hoped for beforehand (5:30-5:45), but obviously the weather was a massive issue and i can be well satisfied with a pb of any sort.

That brings to an end another 10 week block of training. Average over the 10 weeks was 54 miles, but given the various trials and tribulations i've gone through, that's not too bad, as effectively had two non-consecutive weeks where i did no running at all... take them out of the average and it would've been almost 70mpw.

Next week.... almost a repeat of the previous week... very steady and hope to make it to the start line of the Old Crown Round saturday in good shape.
    Last edited by Travs; 18-07-2021 at 07:09 PM.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Beacon Hill, via Buck Hill, Felicity's Wood [One day I will find out who Felicity is/was], and the diversion enforced by closure of part of Beacon Hill due to ground-nesting birds.

Started at 10:43am; conditions were entirely tolerable in the shade, but rather unpleasant when exposed to the sun. Didn't bring any water with me, but kept a slow, steady pace (and was surprised when I got home that I had taken no more than 69 minutes); so I won't be posting in the Heat Exhaustion thread.

On reaching the false top of Buck Hill, I saw a group of 6 walkers just ahead of me, in the dip before the climb to the true summit. The problem is that the path up that climb is currently reduced to a narrow trod by bracken on both sides; so I shouted "'Scuse me", and was very grateful when they let me through.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Club night in Coventry. 3 x 1 mile with 2mins rest.

Only went down to get a few easy miles in, and despite feeling ok in the warmup i kept the first rep very steady at 6:23.... felt strong and picked up the pace, 5:58 and 6:00 for the next reps.

Felt like i had endurance to burn, but was definitely lacking in a turn of pace... no surprise considering the heat and the weekend's efforts.

7.5 miles on top of a steady 7 this morning. A solid 22.5 miles for the week so far. May push the pace a little on thursday, perhaps half-mile brisk/easy alternating. But certainly no real intense sessions prior to saturday.

Club run tonight with Eden... a very steady 5 miles, out past Brougham Castle, and eventually alongside the River Eamont.

Still very warm. Feeling in reasonable nick for the Old Crown Round tomorrow.

I took part in an internal Eden 10km "race" this morning... actually it was a pilot run for a 10km that they are hosting in September, as the route has not been done under marshalled race conditions before.

Feeling very lethargic after yesterdays 5hrs racing, i decided that i'd go off at a reasonable pace (would be rude not to with a downhill start), and see how long i can hold it... the answer being about 3km as we then hit a stiff uphill section complete with a couple of hairpin turns, and on reaching the long flat section immediately after, i couldn't find my speed again.

I'd aimed to try and keep it under 45mins, and finished in about 43:50, so job done and a steady run out. I'd imagine sub-40 is very doable on fresh legs in a proper race, but it's certainly not a pb course. Lovely route though.

http://www.edenrunners.co.uk/AcronBa...rnbank10k.html

That brings the week to a close and a solid 74.5 miles... highlight being a very encouraging run out at the Old Crown Round, where i beat both my target time, and a number of club-mates who i wasn't expecting to...

Next week... easy running all the way. No sessions at all. Perhaps a parkrun next weekend if feeling completely refreshed. Next proper race Turner landscape in a fortnight.

Week progressing steadily and easily as intended... 40.5 miles so far, all pretty much easy pace.

If i feel fresh i'll attempt a fast parkrun on saturday morning.

Entered Borrowdale... will be my 100th fell race and wanted it to be one of the "classics"

Ran Coventry Parkrun this morning in a rather disappointing 19:15

Despite not training specifically for short, fast races for quite a while, i still hoped/expected a lot better (i ran 18:14 in very icy conditions back in Feb).

I guess it shows for me to reach my best level at that distance (perhaps i can just shade under 18mins) i need to be doing regular specific work for it.

Will have a bash at Penrith Parkrun at some point during August.
    Last edited by Travs; 31-07-2021 at 10:52 AM.