Page 1477 of 1691 FirstFirst ... 47797713771427146714751476147714781479148715271577 ... LastLast
Results 14,761 to 14,770 of 16910

Thread: Today's Training

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Eagle Crag and Sargeant’s Crag from Stonethwaite on a quite beautiful morning. 6 miles. Another two Wainwrights ticked off, 16 to go.

Loosened the legs up a bit after yesterday’s ordeal... but didn’t ease the soreness much...!
    What have you got left? Anything good to save until last or will it be Binsey!?

I thought I'd be near completion soon but then realised I have a very big chunk of the Far Eastern fells to do.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Southern, Northern, Western, North-Western books all complete...

West of Kirkstone, I have Raven Crag (Thirlmere), Pavey Ark, Hartsop Above How, and High Hartsop Dodd.

The remaining dozen are all to the east of Kirkstone, and a couple of decent days out (one from Howtown, and perhaps one from Mardale Head) should mop most of them up.

My plan for the final day is to take a long run from the A6 at Shap summit, along one of the ridges over to Grey Crag and Tarn Crag. Possibly not the most scenic tops, but a long and lonely run in, just how I like it...!

Awesome!!

Pavey Ark is one of my favourite places, that scrabble up the cliff face is breath taking!!

I would struggle to know what Wainwrights I have done/not done. For many years in my early days of hill walking I would have just followed the walk leader, with little knowledge of where I was. One day in particular I remember spending hours bagging a load of green lumps north of Skiddaw.

Southern, Northern, Western, North-Western books all complete...

West of Kirkstone, I have Raven Crag (Thirlmere), Pavey Ark, Hartsop Above How, and High Hartsop Dodd.

The remaining dozen are all to the east of Kirkstone, and a couple of decent days out (one from Howtown, and perhaps one from Mardale Head) should mop most of them up.

My plan for the final day is to take a long run from the A6 at Shap summit, along one of the ridges over to Grey Crag and Tarn Crag. Possibly not the most scenic tops, but a long and lonely run in, just how I like it...!
    Sounds great.
    I've started on the Outlying Fells now as well. Plenty of long lonely days out to be had there too.

Hey Travs,

Just to acknowledge your excellent advice on doing squats, I tried some today and I was being very thoughtful about my posture and really thinking through the muscle groups I was using, really focussing in on each muscle, tendon, bone and all the movement in greater detail. They really do make loads of sense on practically every level. I didn't quite get it before but I definitely do get it now. I am going to do these every day from now on. Thank you!!

but... and this is melting my mind, I can't believe how much flexibility has increased in my funny foot, for the first time in my entire life I can actually do squats correctly without feeling like a weird physical wreck and like I'm about to fall over! Both heels solid on the ground, and a decent level of drop!! Not all the way, but where I do go to feels really strong.

I'm really not sure what has happened here; I thought my foot would never move in that way because of how the bone structure had developed, but I am clearly totally wrong about that, I just did it.

More generally, I think I have come up with a plan for phase two of my training; I have been really missing the coach from the Runkeeper App, so, I am going to do the whole thing again, but in the walking intervals I am going to run at my normal pace, and then use the running intervals to increase my speed and push myself. So, I still have the interval training (as you also suggested Travs) and a programme I am already familiar with. I think it is going to work. This will give me 6 weeks focussing on increasing my speed and I guess I will naturally increase my distance a little bit at the same time. I enjoyed the short & sweet race on Sunday and I would like to do other similar races until I get my speed and techniques a bit better.

The longer term plan, well phase three anyway, is to then focus on increasing distance.

As much as I would love to do it, it's kinda bugging me a little, I think I am making a right and sensible decision about not doing Utterly Butterly this weekend, it's too much too soon, I need to be patient.

Good luck DM, keep us all posted... great to hear things are improving, and I can’t recommend squats enough... especially for someone like myself who doesn’t have regular access to the fells for training.

Had to give tonight’s club session a miss tonight, after the weekend’s efforts.... instead did a steady 6.5 miles and 1100ft on the treadmill, lots of stretching, and of course a few sets of light squats to try and get my legs back in action...

Road Relays on Saturday.... awaiting to hear if I’m in the vets (v35) team or one of the senior teams. Couldn’t be more different from last weekend’s LDMT.... about 5.9km and perhaps 200-300 feet of climb...
    Last edited by Travs; 17-09-2019 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Sounds great.
    I've started on the Outlying Fells now as well. Plenty of long lonely days out to be had there too.

I recently picked up the outlying fells book from Cov library, and marked them all up on a map with the possible intention of linking them all up in a single mammoth route... unfortunately it is well out of my reach (can’t remember the exact distance but I’m sure there wasn’t much change out of 200 miles).

Perhaps I’ll look at them once I’ve done all the Wainwrights.... although there’s so many fells I want to go back to and put together some long training runs...
    Last edited by Travs; 17-09-2019 at 09:21 PM.

I recently picked up the outlying fells book from Cov library, and marked them all up on a map with the possible intention of linking them all up in a single mammoth route... unfortunately it is well out of my reach (can’t remember the exact distance but I’m sure there wasn’t much change out of 200 miles).

Perhaps I’ll look at them once I’ve done all the Wainwrights.... although there’s so many fells I want to go back to and put together some long training runs...
    Now there's a long distance challenge if ever there was one!

There are a few fells I return to on a regular basis - old friends I just can't pass by. And there are so many others I want to go back to and have too little time and that's probably why I have not managed to complete them all yet. I admire your dedication, sir!

Super Moderator
    I misread your comment above Travs and thought you were planning the Outlying Fells of Cov

Four mile hilly road runfor me last night. Third run in four days 😲