Page 1698 of 1699 FirstFirst ... 69811981598164816881696169716981699 LastLast
Results 16,971 to 16,980 of 16986

Thread: Today's Training

[QUOTE=PeteS;688424]The descent via another lane to the North was the final nail in the coffin for rim brakes on my bike. /QUOTE]

Oh ye of little faith. Sigh.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    The descent via another lane to the North was the final nail in the coffin for rim brakes on my bike.
    Oh ye of little faith. Sigh.
    Well, I do still have one bike with rim brakes but as that is a single speed fixie, you could argue they are superfluous anyway!
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Well, I do still have one bike with rim brakes but as that is a single speed fixie, you could argue they are superfluous anyway!
    Ah indeed. What muscles you must have!

But on a 40+ mph long downhill I'll still put my faith in my silly, old fashioned, obsolete Campagnolo Potenza rim brakes. Even in the rain.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Whilst my training group were back out on the grass doing another speed session, i was in the gym for a treadmill hill session.

3 x 10 mins @ 6% gradient, 5 minute flat jog rests.

Tonight wasn't about totally destroying myself (plenty of time for that on saturday morning), but getting in a good chunk of solid effort.... that said, i was still perspiring heavily within a couple of minutes, and with 4mins to go on the final rep, my legs were stiffening up quite alarmingly.... a bit of a hangover from tuesday's session. Still, i'm not overly fussed if i don't feel 100% fresh in every session, its to be expected with three sessions a week.

9 miles in total, on top of 4 easy miles AM.

A glorious evening for last nights RATRun from The Queen Anne at Great Hucklow. It was a part recce of the Great Hucklow Fell Race which is on this Sunday, and a part recce as much of the route is on private land.

The five of us set off up through the woods behind the village towards the Gliding Club and then over fields to Abney Grange. Across the road and onto open moorland of Abney Moor where we picked up the pathless race route. Down to the hamlet of Abney then more fields before steeply down through bracken on a narrow trod to the delightful Bretton Clough. This part of the route up the clough is hidden in bracken and very easy to take the wrong trod. Evenually the stream is crossed by a wooden bridge and then steeply up, back to Abney Grange. From here we retraced our steps to Great Hucklow which is the last mile of the race route, the last bit steeply down to the woods.

A steady 5.5 miles and 1'110 feet which is a mile shorter and 300 feet less than the actually race. Back in the Queen Anne cheesy and non cheesy chips were washed down with a very good pint of Bass 4.4%. Apparently Bass is not only the original English Pale Ale but also England's first ever trademark.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

40 minute continuous hill session at 15% gradient this morning.

Hard work, full change of clothes required before i could stretch and do some leg strength work.

Enjoying the challenge of racing less and really focusing on training between races. Although whilst i'm getting good results and pb's its easier to stay motivated.... i guess it will be a challenge when i hit a bad spell.

Long run this morning turned out to not be particularly long at all.... i went out to catch a local road 10km, and only did 9.5 miles.

So another 6 miles PM, bringing the week to an end with 81.5 miles.

Doing a 3000mtr track race next sunday... i feel that my current pb (10:31) is due for a revision.... however i've not raced on track for two years, and past experience tells me that it sometimes takes a few races to get sharp.... so i've got absolutely no idea what i'll end up with.... can i get near 10:00...? Or will i be struggling to break 10:30....?

Club night and a departure from the recent grass sessions, as we hit the road in the Warwick Uni campus.

3 x 1 mile, 4 minute rests.

5:26
    5:23
    5:29

A little slower than last time we did this session (in fact averaging 7.5secs slower per mile). This was a little disappointing, particularly slipping off the pace on the last rep.... however it was quite windy tonight, and slippery underfoot..... perhaps that had some effect, or perhaps i just wasn't quite at it tonight, who knows.

But as a very famous coach says.... "its not the training you do.... its the effect of the training you do...."

....and despite not quite having the top end speed tonight, its another solid session in the bank, and hitting times i'd have been ecstatic with a year ago.

Hill session on thursday, possibly 6 x 3mins, then a couple of easy days before sunday's track race (although i'll likely do a longish run on saturday still, of perhaps an hour or so).

10 miles tonight, 4 miles AM.

6 x 3 minute treadmill hill reps, 6% gradient. 3 minute walk/jog rests.

Didn't want to go too steep with a race on sunday. And 6 x 3 mins at a shallow gradient is becoming a favourite pre-race session of mine lately.

8.5 miles for the session, and 5 steady miles AM.

Couple of easy runs tomorrow, longish on saturday (perhaps an hour or so), then track race sunday.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I had decided that today's run would be reps round the field near my home, even before last night when I read the chapter in The Race Against Time where Richard Askwith goes for a run on Dartmoor with Gavin and Jo Pavey, and Jo mentions the importance of speedwork. My route for these reps has traditionally included a trod that weaves among the trees on the lower side of the field; but the trod has been gradually getting more obstructed, and I have now given up on it completely; so today's route kept to the edge of the open field, as is 5-10 seconds faster.

This was only my sixth run since having more than three months off with injury. After the first three reps had times of 1:55, 1:59 and 2:03, I thought of throwing in the towel. But the fourth one was completed in 2:01, so I kept going, and the remaining four had times between 2:03 and 2:06. Getting back to racing fitness is taking a while.

Jo Pavey also mentions doing sets of ten 2-minute reps; but I imagine she covers rather more distance in her two minutes than I do.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges