Page 1472 of 1692 FirstFirst ... 47297213721422146214701471147214731474148215221572 ... LastLast
Results 14,711 to 14,720 of 16912

Thread: Today's Training

Thanks Travs ))

Sounds like you are doing well despite not feeling fresh!

I also didn't feel fresh today, but then 16 miles of what for me was fairly hard mountain biking the day before will do that hey!

Even so, only slightly behind Mondays run: 3.32 miles, 351' climb in 38:17 mins!

I admit, this one felt much tougher than Mondays run, but I definitely have a rest day tomorrow before the final session in my couch to 5K training on Friday!!

A steady treadmill hour uphill this evening... the equivalent of a flat “recovery run” but climbing...

4.5 miles 2900ft

Club night tomorrow where I’ll get some reasonable miles in, but nothing hard before racing Sunday.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Stopped off in the lakes for a couple of nights on the way back home from Scotland. Yesterday saw a quick blast up Carl Side and Ullock Pike from Dodd Wood before the weather turned. 9km/700m

Ooof!

Despite running out and up hill into winds of 15-25mph, todays training knocked a few minutes off the same route I have been doing for the last few runs: 3.29 miles, 363' climb in 35:27 mins

That's the end of my couch to 5k training!

I have a question, when I am warming up, a sort of fairly slow jog, I am gradually going uphill which means y the time I reach the steep bit I am feeling a bit out of breath and invariably end up walking the really steep bit. Which is fine and all, but I want to be able to bound up those hills without feeling like my lungs will collapse and my heart give out (okay I am exaggerating but you know what I mean), does anyone have any tips or advice for improving my performance on these steeper bits please?

I am also wondering what to do next. Should I just jump into another training plan? Just run for a bit on the same route until it feels easy? Any suggestions welcome

Thank you!

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Back home in the Midlands and felt like a change this morning so ran a generally good paced but flatter 12km out on the footpaths and bridal ways of North Worcestershire. No really big ascents but attacked each small climb full gas and recovered on the descent. Lovely weather for running - sunny, gentle breeze and cool enough for my training partner (the dog) to resume his role. Lovely stuff to take the edge off tomorrow's return to work. Now off to clean 2 weeks detritus from the campervan....

First day of running without my virtual coach yesterday, same as Friday more or less:

3.32 miles, 365' climb in 36:16 mins

Although I did stop to help a young lady with the harness on her horse, and to re-tie my shoe lace as it was too tight - so perhaps still a small improvement?
    Last edited by DangerMouse; 03-09-2019 at 12:36 PM.

Brilliant day today, decided to step things up a bit and I ran over the tops to go see my friend to do some work together, weather was erm, interesting to say the least!

Distance 6.51 miles, took me 1:37:15, 566' climb, but I was also carrying a fairly heavy rucksack with computer, change of shoes/clothes, etc.

I certainly didn't run all the way, it was almost impossible at times because the wind was literally blowing me off the path and i nearly ended up in the drink a few times... other times I had to run what felt like leaning 45 degrees sideways into the wind hehhe! Hilarious!!

It pretty hard going, but feel good for doing it

I imagine that the next run, without carrying anything is probably going to feel a lot lighter.

Can I just say that the INOV8 merino base layer is absolutely bloomin fantastic - that's all I was wearing on my top half and I was never once uncomfortable in any way, despite being lashed with horizontal rain!

Quote Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
    Ooof!

Despite running out and up hill into winds of 15-25mph, todays training knocked a few minutes off the same route I have been doing for the last few runs: 3.29 miles, 363' climb in 35:27 mins

That's the end of my couch to 5k training!

I have a question, when I am warming up, a sort of fairly slow jog, I am gradually going uphill which means y the time I reach the steep bit I am feeling a bit out of breath and invariably end up walking the really steep bit. Which is fine and all, but I want to be able to bound up those hills without feeling like my lungs will collapse and my heart give out (okay I am exaggerating but you know what I mean), does anyone have any tips or advice for improving my performance on these steeper bits please?

I am also wondering what to do next. Should I just jump into another training plan? Just run for a bit on the same route until it feels easy? Any suggestions welcome

Thank you!
    My theory on improving uphill is that it is a sheer case of hard work, just got to work at it... run some uphill intervals, and gradually get used to the effort... (as opposed to descending which requires technique)

Also with uphill running I try to tread lightly and keep a rhythm on my toes... it takes a lot to build the calves up but it will improve your speed in the long-term...

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
    Brilliant day today, decided to step things up a bit and I ran over the tops to go see my friend to do some work together, weather was erm, interesting to say the least!

Distance 6.51 miles, took me 1:37:15, 566' climb, but I was also carrying a fairly heavy rucksack with computer, change of shoes/clothes, etc.

I certainly didn't run all the way, it was almost impossible at times because the wind was literally blowing me off the path and i nearly ended up in the drink a few times... other times I had to run what felt like leaning 45 degrees sideways into the wind hehhe! Hilarious!!

It pretty hard going, but feel good for doing it

I imagine that the next run, without carrying anything is probably going to feel a lot lighter.

Can I just say that the INOV8 merino base layer is absolutely bloomin fantastic - that's all I was wearing on my top half and I was never once uncomfortable in any way, despite being lashed with horizontal rain!
    A bloke who runs over the hills in a gale and rain with a computer in his rucksack: clearly sufficiently bonkers to make an excellent fell-runner.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    My theory on improving uphill is that it is a sheer case of hard work, just got to work at it... run some uphill intervals, and gradually get used to the effort... (as opposed to descending which requires technique)

Also with uphill running I try to tread lightly and keep a rhythm on my toes... it takes a lot to build the calves up but it will improve your speed in the long-term...
    Thanks Travs, I thought this might be the case, but always worth an ask. as you never know. I have the perfect place to do this I think.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    A bloke who runs over the hills in a gale and rain with a computer in his rucksack: clearly sufficiently bonkers to make an excellent fell-runner.
    Hahaha well, for sure in spirit at least, even if never in actual reality!!

Totally taking this as one of the best compliments I have ever been given - thank you