Page 1582 of 1689 FirstFirst ... 582108214821532157215801581158215831584159216321682 ... LastLast
Results 15,811 to 15,820 of 16886

Thread: Today's Training

Well, come and say hello - I'll be at the top of Whernside

Never saw a thing this year...

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I intend to do it next year.

Had intended a rep session this morning, but due to having to go into work, ended up doing a shorter session.

2 mile hard effort. Felt good. 5.5 miles in total.

As to the New Balance Propeller Boeing Shoes... they are decent enough. Feel a little bit wide and "floppy" on the foot, but in fairness i'm still fiddling with the lacing, and i have been wearing the excellent slipper-like Nike Pegasus for a couple of years.

Can't deny that they're very comfortable though.

6km this morning at 19:50/5km pace.

8 miles total.

Had hoped for 10km, but given that i've trained twice a day every day this week except friday, did 13 miles yesterday, and several hard strength sessions, 6km was adequate.

Currently on 69 miles for the week, but will be out for another 3-4 miles this evening which will tip the 70 mile mark.

4 weeks to the first XC of the season. May possibly race before then, but not sure.

Weekend running parts of The Richmond Way (Lancaster Castle to Richmond Castle) 60m
    Friday Lancaster to Ingleton 18m
    Saturday Fleet Moss to Castle Bolton 14m
    Sunday Castle Bolton to Marske 10m
    42m pleased with that 1st month as a V70

Top man!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
    Weekend running parts of The Richmond Way (Lancaster Castle to Richmond Castle) 60m
    Friday Lancaster to Ingleton 18m
    Saturday Fleet Moss to Castle Bolton 14m
    Sunday Castle Bolton to Marske 10m
    42m pleased with that 1st month as a V70

4 x 1 mile with half-mile recoveries.

Quite challenging after a lot of strength work again in the first part of the week.

8.5 miles in total. Weekly total building nicely, up to 43 miles so far.

A few days in Mid Wales and despite a cold and the still sore ribs I had to get out for a run as I have done nothing, other than dog walking, since the 3 Peaks.

On Monday I parked up at Nant y Arian Mountain Bike Centre and RSPB Red Kite feeding station on the A44 to run on the trails to the north. It happened to be feeding time and what a show I had as running on the ridge I was level with, and above, hundreds of these magnificent birds.

The object of the run was to visit the TP at Banc Y Garn which is hidden away in a forestry plantation. Lovely running on trails and paths over to Llyn Pendam and then a short stretch of tarmac before heading up a forestry track to the west of the TP. Now on moorland I then followed a fence line to the nearest point to the TP and had around 150yds of fir tree bashing to get to the small clearing where it stood surrounded by trees. The TP was partially covered in moss and lichen and I could see some red paint underneath but did not scrape it off to investigate. I have since looked on the TrigpointingUK website and found a photograph of it.

It is worth a look!

Back out through the trees and a return to the centre on different trails. Once there I nipped across the A44 to tick off the TP at Banc Bwa Drain which is located amongst a forest of bird mincing wind turbines.
    Just over 10 miles, 1,348 feet in 1hr 44min.

Tuesday I parked up on the back road from Rhayader to Aberystwyth for a run up to the TP at Crugyn Ci. It was claggy, wet and windy and after crossing the swollen river, in the reeds I mistook the bridleway for a sheep trod and ended up striking uphill too early and having a tussocky trudge to the top. Once at the TP I was able to pick out and drop down to the bridleway and had a lovely, predominantly grassy run back to the road which I crossed and then did a short loop on nice paths and tracks back to the car.

Five and a half miles, 790 feet in 54 mins. My ribs are no better or worse for the runs and despite my cold I felt a lot better for getting out.
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 21-10-2021 at 01:11 PM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Not for the first time you've mentioned doing "a lot of strength work", without mentioning what it is. Can you tell the aspiring runners reading this what sort of strength work you do, or is it a trade secret to maintain your competitive advantage?
    Nothing special. Just gym work!

Lots of squats/leg-press. Also do a fair bit of core work and upper body stuff too. Core work i obviously feel is important, and it only adds on 15-20mins to a gym session to do a bit of a full upper body workout each session.

Technically speaking, it's more endurance based than pure strength work, as i tend to work in the 15-20 rep range, rather than very low reps and high weight.

I should add that i only really do this when i'm in the Midlands, as i have an excellent gym down here. Up in the Lakes i've got enough going on with training on the fells and the many and varied club sessions.
    Last edited by Travs; 21-10-2021 at 07:37 PM.

Test results not back before tonight's RATRun so I took another lateral flow test, which was negative, and told my fellow runners the situation and all were happy to run with me.
    From the Waterloo in Biggin across fields to Dale Head and then down into Biggin Dale and straight up the other side onto Reynards Lane and at the bungalow named Brighton we turned left through fields up to the TP on Wolfscote Hill.

Whilst on the top taking in the views, that were lit by the magnificent day old Hunters Moon, my phone bleeped. Out of my bumbag it came and a message from NHS England telling me that my PCR test was negative, which was nice!

Steeply down to Whim Farm where the Hartington Brewery is based and then into Wolfscote Dale where we followed the River Dove to its junction with Biggin Dale. Last time I was here the path was knee deep in water but this evening it was as dry as a bone, the water still having not emerged from underground. We then followed Biggin Dale back up to Biggin and the Waterloo.

7.25 miles, 800 feet in 1hr 4 mins.

Once inside large portions of chips were washed down with Rapunzel 4.5% from the Welbeck Abbey Brewery and Marstons Pedigree also 4.5%. A nice, fresh evening run and at times my nose was running faster than me! Ribs still a bit sore as is the throat.
    Now for a couple of days rest!
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 21-10-2021 at 11:07 PM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    From the Waterloo in Biggin across fields to Dale Head and then down into Biggin Dale and straight up the other side onto Reynards Lane and at the bungalow named Brighton we turned left through fields up to the TP on Wolfscote Hill.

Steeply down to Whim Farm where the Hartington Brewery is based and then into Wolfscote Dale where we followed the River Dove to its junction with Biggin Dale. Last time I was here the path was knee deep in water but this evening it was as dry as a bone, the water still having not emerged from underground. We then followed Biggin Dale back up to Biggin and the Waterloo.
    About 3 years ago, my wife and I spent a couple of days at New Year in that area, staying overnight at Hartington Youth Hostel. One day we walked down Biggin Dale and up Wolfscote Dale. The upper part of Biggin Dale was dry, then we passed the spring, and from there on the water gradually took over the valley bottom. Trying to keep our feet dry in the last few hundred yards before the confluence with Wolfscote Dale was quite amusing.

We had dinner that evening at the Waterloo in Biggin.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges