Page 1547 of 1689 FirstFirst ... 547104714471497153715451546154715481549155715971647 ... LastLast
Results 15,461 to 15,470 of 16886

Thread: Today's Training

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Went over to Warwick Racecourse for a 5km attempt this morning. A much more consistently flat course than the ones round by me... albeit with still a reasonable hill in it, which must be scaled twice, but in my opinion a fast course.

Unfortunately with it being around a very flat and open racecourse, it was incredibly windy today... which is today's excuse for not reaching the time i feel capable of!

Managed 18:50... i feel the wind may have cost 20-30secs.... i think that on a 5km, someone like me with good stamina, but perhaps a slight lack of basic speed, needs to start hard and maintain it. This wasn't really an option today as the first 800-1km were into a very strong headwind, so i felt i was always fighting a losing battle... knew at halfway i was a little way off the pace.

Still it was a nice bit of hard work. My plan had been to forget the 5km after today and get into some long stuff at the weekends... but i think a couple more weeks of hard work can see me picking up a much better time than i registered today.
    18:50 sounds really good to me. Living in the hills and not being a fan of hard, fast and short running (and not doing park runs) means that I’ve never really bothered with a 5K. I just checked Strava and ironically my best 5K ever was during the London Marathon in 2014 (21:25). I really need to put on my man pants and have a blast at a flat 5K I think

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    18:50 sounds really good to me. Living in the hills and not being a fan of hard, fast and short running (and not doing park runs) means that I’ve never really bothered with a 5K. I just checked Strava and ironically my best 5K ever was during the London Marathon in 2014 (21:25). I really need to put on my man pants and have a blast at a flat 5K I think

I'm sure 18:50 is, all things considered, a fair time.

But i'm sure i'm capable of more. I ran a 3km track race in just over 10:30 in the summer, which is equivalent to just over 17:30 pace for 5km. So surely i've got potential to sneak under 18mins for 5km.

Obviously race conditions make such a difference, and i perhaps shouldn't beat myself up too much about a time which is after all a time-trial.

My ex-girlfriend had two ambitions in running, to run a sub 20min 5km and a sub 40min 10km... she hasn't quite got there yet... so i do sometimes feel a little bit selfish moaning about "only" scraping under 19mins on a windy day!
    Last edited by Travs; 23-11-2020 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    Great route that. As a local though I'm a little worried that at the start you missed out going up through Wharfe/Oxenber woods (sidestepping Feizor) and also didn't visit Smearsett Scar before heading for Helwith Bridge and the climb up Pyg

There is so much gloop between the top of Sulber Nick and Nick Pot right now - fantastic eh?
    Yeah, I've done the woods up there before, but feels a bit fiddly for a longer run. Not been up to Smearsett before though, could add that in and drop down to Stainforth. Will give that a try.
    Geoff Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    Yeah, I've done the woods up there before, but feels a bit fiddly for a longer run. Not been up to Smearsett before though, could add that in and drop down to Stainforth. Will give that a try.
    From Smearsett you can take a line down through the fields to the lane, much closer to Helwith Bridge. Not a marked path but after the descent and crossing one ladder style it’s an easy wall line to follow to a gate

Not run since July, trying to keep some flab on for the winter hibernation

This week's club session was to be 20 x 200mtrs. But to make it a little more fell-specific i went off-road. So off to the old mine "pit" and ran the hard reps downhill, recovering on the way back up.

170 metres of downhill, with a nice grassy start, then an incredibly muddy/wet steep bank, then a slippy muddy track that wasn't steep enough to free-wheel, but enough to build up an unnerving rate of speed.

Could only manage 12 decent reps before the legs started to feel the effort, and to do any more would have served little purpose. Although i did manage to find some confidence/recklessness, my first couple being around the 36 second mark, but my final couple of reps being sub-32 seconds.

6 miles total. Hopefully a useful technical session, with the (hopefully) impending Skirrid race coming up next month.

A day of no running today, meant my weekly total was a bit down... 49 miles... but a stonking 15,050ft of climb.

As for next week,,, well club training to resume later in the week. I had hoped to squeeze in a 5km fast effort before then, but a few little niggles have made that less of a priority... will see how i feel in the coming 48hrs.

32k/900m from the house yesterday, out in to the western edge of Bowland. Absolutely filthy underfoot, some of the worst peat bog/mud/swamp I've had the pleasure of negotiating. Legs felt pretty stiff back on the roads this morning.
    Geoff Clarke

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    With continuous heavy rain, and the temperature only just high enough to prevent it falling as snow, I took out a very old waterproof fell suit for today's jaunt up to the Outwoods. It has been worn very little, although it must have done many miles in my bumbag in races in the 80's and 90's. It was rather poignant when I noticed the PB logo on the label; I think it was one of Pete Bland's own designs. But it hasn't got taped seams, so hasn't been taken out recently.

The freshly ploughed fields mentioned in a recent post have now been harrowed, but with the soil sodden, the going was even slower than before. 45 minutes for a route that I did in under 39 minutes a few weeks ago (and under 37 in Summer 2019).
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

We had an internal cross-country handicap today. A surpsisingly energy-sapping 6km over grass and slop.

Managed 24:26 which doesn't sound any great shakes, but finished 5th (out of around 20) and was up with a couple of the 16-17min/5km boys, and had put a good 90secs into those i expected to be around me... (i expect i had a good day, and most of them struggled a little through lack of recent race opportunities).

Still it was very enjoyable, and nice to be back on a start line again.