Page 1579 of 1689 FirstFirst ... 579107914791529156915771578157915801581158916291679 ... LastLast
Results 15,781 to 15,790 of 16886

Thread: Today's Training

71 miles for the week. Big pb at South Mynd Tour today, so very satisfactory.

What a difference a week makes... ran last weekends 10km on unrested legs, but had a couple of very easy days prior to today, and felt so fresh in comparison.

Next weekend is the mighty Peris, so will be employing same tactics this week.

Club night last night.... 4 x 5 minute hill efforts on grass.

I'd intended to just turn up for a bit of a jog round and some easy miles.

Ran the first effort steadily in about 4:00/km pace. This loosened me up and the next effort was quicker at 3:53/km.

Pushed on from there, with the final two efforts in 3:50/km and 3:37/km respectively.

Glad to get one decent session under my belt and can now take it very easy before Peris on saturday. I'll be surprised if i do anything longer than about 4 miles during this week (although a very gentle run on Great/Little Ormes on friday may be a bit longer).

A tougher route for the 10 participants on this weeks RATRun from the Packhorse Inn, Crowdicote. Along the Dove valley to Underhill Farm and then steeply up to Hitter Hill and down the other side to Glutton Grange before a lovely grassy climb up Hatch-a-way and then a stretch of tarmac up Dowel Dale to Stoop Farm.

Across some fields and a steep descent before the highlight of the evening, the climb to Chrome Hill. Once at the top the light had faded so headtorches were required for the descent. Once down we were straight up Parkhouse Hill and down the other side to Glutton Bridge. A final mile back down the Dove valley to Crowdicote.

A fantastic run out of 7 and a half miles and 1,650 feet in 1hr 18mins. Back at the Packhorse there were no cheesy chips as the landlady/chef was on holiday so Kris the landlord allowed us to bring our own cheese and red onion and ham and mustard rolls which were washed down with very agreeable Longdendale Lights 3.9% from Howard Town Brewery in Glossop.
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 23-09-2021 at 11:29 PM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Had a very gentle Pre-Peris runout today around Llandudno. Up onto Little Orme and down the far side... back over Little Orme to the road, along the promenade to the other end of Llandudno, up Great Orme and back to the centre.

8 miles.

Having never been up Little Orme before, i was very pleasantly surprised... Great Orme is much more extensive, and very nice itself, but Little Orme is possibly a bit more dramatic as you are always in close proximity to the sea... on Gt Orme you are a bit set back from the sea.

A very gentle outing on Little Orme this morning to bring the week to a close, at 63 miles.

Have struggled a little this week. I put everything into last weeks Champs race, and Peris yesterday was my 4th race in as many weeks... was just a race too far... but then September is always the same, with so many great races crammed in.

Now got 4 weeks until my next race, at the Langdale Half Marathon. So will be a little bit of a change of emphasis in training... Still aiming for 70mpw average, and will still be getting out on the fells regularly, but will be saving all of my hard efforts for road sessions.

But won't be hitting my first effort hard until probably next friday, as need to recover from yesterday fully.

Another 10 week block of training has ended with an average of 60.5 miles per week... although i did lose one full week due to work commitments... take that week out and the average bumps up to 67mpw.

Still plenty of fell adventures to look forward to. Next weekend i'll be out and about on the Hodgson Brothers route... ditto the weekend after but at the Yorkshire 3 Peaks... but the next fell race is unlikely to be until early November.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    A weekend spent camping at Little Stretton meant a couple of training runs around the Shropshire hills. The highlight was a Saturday afternoon run up on to Ashlet descending down Town brook and then into Carding Mill Valley. Along the road and then up Cow Ridge after which I picked up the path and then a few feint trods to reach the main ridge path to Pole Bank. Descended via Long Synalds and then crossed Ashes Hollow quite high up to descend the rest of the valley on the lovely, very runnable green path on the southern side. Approximately 11k/600m but most importantly, a very enjoyable run which set me up well for a couple of pints of Ludlow Gold in the Ragleth Inn.

Was club night in Coventry, and despite being sore from the weekend i was determined to attend, as it'll be my last one for 6 weeks as i'll not be down from the Lakes until November.

Session was 5 x 1km on the road... but a combination of the above-mentioned tiredness, and the torrential rain, meant i joined a couple of others who went into a huge carpark to do an "indoor" interval session, which i half-heartedly ran some 100mtr strides to loosen up.

Felt it did me a lot of good, feel a lot better for it this morning. 5.5 miles on top of 5 very easy miles in the morning, made a decent day.

Planning some mile reps on friday up on the Penrith Parkrun course. Plans have changed for saturday but hopefully be out on the fells somewhere, then a mad dash on sunday round the Hodgson route to see as much of the action as possible.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Was club night in Coventry, and despite being sore from the weekend i was determined to attend, as it'll be my last one for 6 weeks as i'll not be down from the Lakes until November.

Session was 5 x 1km on the road... but a combination of the above-mentioned tiredness, and the torrential rain, meant i joined a couple of others who went into a huge carpark to do an "indoor" interval session, which i half-heartedly ran some 100mtr strides to loosen up.

Felt it did me a lot of good, feel a lot better for it this morning. 5.5 miles on top of 5 very easy miles in the morning, made a decent day.

Planning some mile reps on friday up on the Penrith Parkrun course. Plans have changed for saturday but hopefully be out on the fells somewhere, then a mad dash on sunday round the Hodgson route to see as much of the action as possible.
    Having done all parts of the route at various times, I feel that the descent to Hartsop Hall is the toughest section technically. Doing it recently when it was dry was challenging enough - I would hate to do it when it was wet, as it will be this weekend. Good luck to all participants. Marshalling at Kirkstone will be interesting enough for me.
    Last edited by Mike T; 30-09-2021 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Having done all parts of the route at various times, I feel that the descent to Hartsop Hall is the toughest section technically. Doing it recently when it was dry was challenging enough - I would hate to do it when it was wet, as it will be this weekend. Good luck to all participants. Marshalling at Kirkstone will be interesting enough for me.
    Sadly i think i'll miss you on sunday Mike. I'm planning to come off Thornthwaite and head down Threshthwaite/Pasture Beck to Hartsop, and across to Hartsop Hall to the Leg 3/4 changeover.

Tonight's RATRun was, with racing at the weekend, a gentle little number from The Grouse at Froggatt. Only 5 of us braved the wind and rain as we set off up to White Edge Moor where we saw a magnificent Stag who kept an eye on us as we descended to Barbrook Bridge where we crossed the road and followed a lovely little trod up to the TP at Flask Edge.
    Now, with our headtorches on, we continued over Totley Moor along the bridleway, rutted by mountain bikes, to the A625 and then a short section of moor to Foxhouse. Crossing the road into the Longshaw estate we roughly followed its boundary back around to the Grouse.
    Considering the amount of rain we have had the ground was still pretty firm apart from in the puddles that had formed in the MTB ruts.
    Six and a half miles in total and only 650 feet in 1hr. Once dried off and changed excellent chips were washed down beside an open fire with Marstons Pedigree and Wainwrights.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog