Page 1463 of 1692 FirstFirst ... 46396313631413145314611462146314641465147315131563 ... LastLast
Results 14,621 to 14,630 of 16912

Thread: Today's Training

A steady but solid start to the week.... 9 miles and 2750ft. Absolutely roasted tonight despite the steady pace, it was about 4deg warmer at 7pm than it was during mid-afternoon here...

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I've been raped. I came back from today's run with yellow petals all over my legs.

The route included a public footpath that goes through the middle of five arable fields, and three of them have got oilseed rape this year. The path is clearly defined and well used, but heavy rain still knocks the crop over, so it leans across the path. So after thrashing through all that rape in the wet . . .
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Track session tonight...

2000m at 10km pace, 600m hard, 1200m at 10km pace, 400m hard, 800m at 5km pace.

The theory behind it being that you get to the 800m rep feeling fatigued, recreating the final section of a 5km race.

It was an interesting session.... the 400m rep at speed really hurt, but I think the large rest periods (2 minutes between reps) was a little long, as I generally felt fresh on all reps.... ran the 800m rep at 17:55/5km pace, which is significantly faster than my current pb, and nearly a minute faster than my Parkrun time for the weekend.

But a very interesting session nevertheless.

A solid start to the week... 20miles and 4800ft so far. Although will be cutting down slightly between now and Friday, in terms of both mileage and effort.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Good work Pete. I have always struggled with track training and admire your tenacity no end. My daughter used to run for Halesowen athletic and I used to get plenty of stick from her coaches for my fell running approach to the track!

Anthony, the rape problem will only get worse, I'm afraid. Last year was horrendous, putting footpaths out of bounds for weeks. It ended up head high and nearly lost the dog on more than one occasion. Machete might be a worthwhile purchase if you can buy such a thing in this day and age!

Last night 40 club members had a lovely evening off road run of up to 9 miles in and above Lathkill Dale to celebrate the 21st Birthday of one our members, who very kindly provided sandwiches and chips in the pub afterwards.
    Two incidents of note, the birthday boy tripped over a dog, in the first half mile, and looks to have broken his wrist/arm and I burnt my thumb trying to light 21 candles!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    This evenings hill session had to be altered from my planned route as, with the wet now warm weather, the brambles and nettles had taken hold and my legs were ripped to shreds in no time.
    Aborted and went over to Winwood Heath and did some very hot and humid reps up the road instead. 900m in length average over 10% with a couple of ramps of 20%. An hours running in total before I collapsed in a puddle of sweat.
    Having a day off tomorrow - should hit 30 degrees and I'm not running or riding in that! A walk with dog, wife and may be a pub will do just fine...

Scorchio weather in Portree too so opted for 5k treadmill in air con gym. Yesterday did 9k with 600m around Scorrybreac. The heat was unbearable and it took me at least 5 minutes longer than usual. Scorchio for me counts as anything above 20c. Today we hit 28.

11 miles with Mrs DTR early doors to beat the heat, she was flying, she’s gone from running a mile 18 months ago to putting me under pressure at 10 miles

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Parkrun for the first time since January. Just wanted to get my legs moving at a reasonable speed. Avoided a PW by 11 seconds, although that last 700 metres around the playing fields felt dreadful.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Despite two relatively short races this weekend, I still managed a weekly total of 50 miles and 14000ft... upping the average over the last few weeks.... past three weeks averaged about 54 miles 14000ft per week, hopefully I can keep it up.

Only managed a few gentle miles today to ease the soreness from the weekend. This evening I couldn’t even face a couple of miles, so did a brisk 20 miles on the exercise bike instead.

This week will be a struggle to keep the mileage up... I’ve got Callow next Sunday, which most definitely needs a pair of very fresh legs. But before that I’ve been conscripted into a mile track race on Wednesday night, against several club mates of similar (in fact they are probably a bit faster over such a short distance) ability.... could be a painful week!