Page 1469 of 1689 FirstFirst ... 46996913691419145914671468146914701471147915191569 ... LastLast
Results 14,681 to 14,690 of 16886

Thread: Today's Training

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    “Marathon training” this morning.

20 miles on the roads and canal towpaths. Managed to run almost the entire session at constant pace of approx 3:24 marathon pace. Considering 11.5 miles Thursday, a 4200ft hill session last night, and a not entirely ideal breakfast of 2 x chocolate digestives, was fairly satisfied.

Aim for Snowdonia Marathon is 3:30 so will certainly need to speed up a little to take the hills into account, but a reasonable first session to build on.

Plan for next weekend is to not go mad on the distance, I’ve obviously got that in the legs already. Think I’ll do the same run but attempt to take a few minutes off the time.
    3.30 is the time I did in 1985. In 2015 I managed 4.00. If you've got to do a road Marathon, Snowdonia is a scenic choice. What time will I manage in 2025, when I will be 68?

Missed posting a couple of sessions, just the next 2 in the couch to 5K.

Monday: 2.72 miles, 279' climb in 32.42 mins. Intervals 90 seconds running, 30 seconds walking.

Wednesday: 2.83 miles, 396' climb in 32.35 mins. Intervals 90 seconds running, 30 seconds walking.

Most notable improvement is that these last 2 sessions I ran continuously for the last 5 intervals and was completely okay.

Where I am running it is uphill all the way out and downhill all the way back whichever way I go, I am making small improvements on the up section, but I am finding it pretty tough going. I'll get there.

The last time I was out, around 10am Wednesday morning, another runner appeared in front of me, not sure if they saw me or not, I lost them at Stoodley Pike, I figured they ran on ahead towards Todmorden. This is the second person I have seen out in my area, so I am definitely not alone around here. I was wondering if the person I saw was here?

p.s. this was the first time I have actually made it up to Stoodley Pike and it felt great to be there... now to get to the point where I can run all the way there and back again

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
    Missed posting a couple of sessions, just the next 2 in the couch to 5K.

Monday: 2.72 miles, 279' climb in 32.42 mins. Intervals 90 seconds running, 30 seconds walking.

Wednesday: 2.83 miles, 396' climb in 32.35 mins. Intervals 90 seconds running, 30 seconds walking.

Most notable improvement is that these last 2 sessions I ran continuously for the last 5 intervals and was completely okay.

Where I am running it is uphill all the way out and downhill all the way back whichever way I go, I am making small improvements on the up section, but I am finding it pretty tough going. I'll get there.

The last time I was out, around 10am Wednesday morning, another runner appeared in front of me, not sure if they saw me or not, I lost them at Stoodley Pike, I figured they ran on ahead towards Todmorden. This is the second person I have seen out in my area, so I am definitely not alone around here. I was wondering if the person I saw was here?

p.s. this was the first time I have actually made it up to Stoodley Pike and it felt great to be there... now to get to the point where I can run all the way there and back again
    I'm geographically confused. It's uphill on the way out, whichever way you go: so you must live at the bottom of a valley. On Wednesday you did 396' of climb, and you got up to Stoodley Pike. But it's a lot more than 396' vertical difference between the bottom of Calderdale and the top of Stoodley Pike.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

You can climb Stoodley Pike “from the back” I believe which is less steep and less ascent. Think there’s a car park round that way too..

Steady 7 miles 1200ft for me tonight. Training a bit stunted this week, with a bit of a bug earlier in the week, and family commitments at the weekend, but hoping to get another 20 miler in at some point.

My last 10 week block averaged 49 miles and 12000ft per week...

Sorry for the confusion.

Which ever way I go, meant whichever way 'I go' not whichever way I 'could possibly' go.

I am not running down into the valley with all the stinky pollution of Hebden Bridge when I am already so close to the tops in the much cleaner and fresher air

This is true Travs, theres a perfect little spot to start from at Old Chamber for those that don't want to run up the whole hillside. Unless you are in a fairly serious 4x4 don't drive too far down that track though, stop at the Honesty Box.

Lovely part of the world, although I’ve only experienced it on the Haworth Hobble (multiple times), and a run out the day before the Lee Mill Relays.

The road up to Heptonstall would be superb for hill reps.

Although linking Hebden Bridge with “stinky pollution” got me smiling... you’ve obviously not been to the splendours of the West Midlands...

Calder Valley looks like a pretty desirable area of the country from what I can see... nice towns, great access to the fells and lovely scenery, public transport links are reasonable, and easy access to nearby large cities...

It is a very lovely part of the world - I am blessed with ridiculously beautiful views every day

If you are talking about The Buttress - yeah that's a serious incline - 1 in 4 I think, probably 1 in 3 in places!! It's very popular with cyclists who regularly try and cycle up it, all very silly but really good fun, I should try it one day, perhaps very early in the morning when no one is watching hehe!

Alas, I wish I was joking about the pollution, the valleys steep sides and it being a major thoroughfare mean that it is one of the worst areas in the country for pollution. The wind blows over the tops and often leaves the valley relatively undisturbed. There can be really quite strong winds here, but when I get into town almost nothing. I can actually taste the pollution, it usually starts within the same quite small area as I am walking down into town.

This article from a few years back highlights the problems:

http://www.energyroyd.org.uk/archives/11545

Anyway, todays training; 25 mins non stop running! Yay!! 2.49 miles, 136 climb; so not as far or as high, but it was continuous, it's been a long time!

I think I am going to drink beer this evening

Quote Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post

If you are talking about The Buttress - yeah that's a serious incline - 1 in 4 I think, probably 1 in 3 in places!! It's very popular with cyclists who regularly try and cycle up it, all very silly but really good fun, I should try it one day, perhaps very early in the morning when no one is watching hehe!
    Good stuff on the continuous run..!

On the Haworth Hobble, you come out on the main road in Hebden Bridge next to the Co-op, then go left for 50 yards, up some incredibly steep stairs, and then turn onto the steep road and follow all the way to the White Lion in Heptonstall.

If I lived in the area, the whole section from the Fox & Goose up to the White Lion would be good for a mammoth hill rep session!

Thank you - I can't believe the difference, just 5 weeks ago I was beat after 25 mins of interval training: 3 mins walking and 1 min running!! Just shows what a little bit of regular consistent effort and taking it easy with rest days in-between can do - I feel much more like my old self already

Still a ways to go yet, but think I should be okay for Beefy's Nab in September!

I know exactly where you mean - those steps are pretty intense! It's funny to hear you talking of these sections as parts of runs, that I normally do just walking around; until very recently a friend lived just off to the right at the top of those steps and I walked up them pretty regularly to go see them.