Page 1581 of 1690 FirstFirst ... 581108114811531157115791580158115821583159116311681 ... LastLast
Results 15,801 to 15,810 of 16891

Thread: Today's Training

[QUOTE=JohnK;675867]
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I think that's them, certainly have the same name. Mine don't look quite so flashy though. (mine were white/grey until about 500 yards of my first run in the rain at Penrith, and are now various shades of grey/brown!)

Another week where work/travel events stunted training, and restricted it to only a couple of steady runs.

Next week hoping for a good solid total, with a decent rep session or two.

Well, I made it to the start line of The Three Peaks but it wasn't the race I had planned. Set off extra nice and steady up Penyghent with the view to have something in the tank at the end. However, plans went out the window whilst descending when I took a tumble and, before I could turn it into a commando roll, fell heavily on my ribs which knocked the wind out of me. I caught my breath and felt OK but then became aware of pain on my right side. I should have turned left at Tarn Bar and returned to Horton and retired but I have DNF'd once before and hated it.
    So on to Ribblehead it was, but even on the flat I was losing places as my breathing was restricted, so the plan was to retire there. But I didn't and continued to Whernside where I managed to claw some places back on the ascent as my legs were strong. Descending was a different matter though as the jolting was painful and as I had to take it easy I was being overtaken left, right and centre!

I decided I would retire at The Hill Inn. When I got there I thought, bollocks, I'm going to finish this so continued towards Ingleborough where I picked up a few places, especially on the steeper climb to the plateau. Ingleborough, as was Whernside, was in clag so the moisture made for very slippery limestone and the trot to the summit and back was horrible, but not as horrible as the descent as my ribs were giving me some right jip and I was reduced to a walk in places. I was continually overtaken by other runners and stopped counting at 50!
    Once the terrain levelled out I was able to move at a quickish shuffle and managed to pull a few places back, mainly from people leaning against walls stretching out cramped legs. I got to the finish in 4hrs 38 min and 211th overall.
    I reckon I could have knocked 30 mins off my time without the tumble but on the flip side my right calf, which I was worried about, was fine probably due to not hammering the descents. My ribs are really sore now, no doubt made worse by continuing. I must add that if the weather had not been so calm and mild I would have called it a day.

I'm glad I've finally ticked The Three Peaks but shan't be returning as there was too much road, track and slabs for my liking and at my age there are other long races I want to do.

I was hoping to do Windgather at the weekend but will be recuperating and getting ready for Ras Rhobell Fawr and Tour of Pendle in November.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Great time considering the hardships you went through.

Rhobell Fawr is a great race.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post

I'm glad I've finally ticked The Three Peaks but shan't be returning as there was too much road, track and slabs for my liking and at my age there are other long races I want to do.
    You are a quick learner with a very decent time for what you went through on your day out.

It's over 30 years since I first ran it and its transformation over that time (for the worse) is almost unimaginable today. In my then smallish club it was expected that you would do the PPP and we would have 15 or more runners out every time but even though in my 50s I could do sub-4 hours I don't think I ever really enjoyed it and after 10 outings I just stopped.

And stopping doing a race has never felt so good.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Well done on finishing LB, that sounds like a real adventure in all the wrong ways. Good to have ticked it off.

From time to time, I consider training up for the 3Ps. I'll remember these posts next time it enters my head. Probably not for me.

I intend to do it next year.

I'm going to concentrate on Welsh races next year. I've got Llanbedr-Blaenafon pencilled in for 26th March and keeping fingers crossed that Ras yr Aran isn't on the same day, as it was due to be this year, but a fortnight before as in 2020.

Can't wait for the new WFRA and FRA calenders to be finalised!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I had intended to do all three Welsh Champs (full/north/south) in 2020.

got the Cardingmill Canter in (which isn't actually in Wales but we won't quibble), and that was it then due to covid!

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    My first run for 27 days. Last time I was out running, I ground to halt after less than a mile, with pain in the groin. I have been getting intermittent twinges there since Ricky's Race in August (I blame Ricky), but this was worse. I completed my route with alternate walking and jogging, but when I got back I felt that I had lost my running mojo anyway. Fortunately I know that that is easy to cure: a few weeks away from running, and I will soon be desperate to get back to it!

Anyway, today's run was on the shortest route I can do from home that includes going through the Outwoods between the two entrances on the east side, and took 29 minutes. After my legs had stopped claiming that they had no idea what this "running" lark was, I felt quite good, and managed to run the whole way up Molly Webb's Hill in the Outwoods.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges