Page 1578 of 1690 FirstFirst ... 578107814781528156815761577157815791580158816281678 ... LastLast
Results 15,771 to 15,780 of 16892

Thread: Today's Training

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Finally, the price tag of £225 is quite off-putting!
    I'd want at least a compass in the heel at that price!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I'd want at least a compass in the heel at that price!
    ..... and GPS!

Went for a run out from Glenridding this evening. The plan had been to go right up the Glenridding Valley to Keppel Cove, have a look round at the old dam etc, then a steep climb onto Catstycam via the north-west ridge, returning via the main path from Red Tarn.

I was on a bit of a tight time schedule tonight, and decided i would turn back at the dam if i was struggling for time (fat chance of me sticking to that!)

I reached the dam and the foot of the ridge, with approx 50mins to climb to the summit and then return back to Glenridding... so i went for it, climbing at race pace, and reached the summit in about 20mins, leaving 29mins to get back to Glenridding. A spirited but not reckless descent, although i did go over on my ankle a couple of times, saw me back at the car with a minute to spare on my schedule!

7 miles, 2650ft, approx 1hr29

Would recommend it as an interesting run, with some good undulating running along the valley, then a steep and sustained climb of 1000ft+, then a nice descent. Will have to visit again in clearer weather, as only got fleeting glimpses of Swirral Edge and surrounding fells through the gloom.

The plan today had been a slow recovery run from Wet Sleddale, across towards Mosedale Cottage, drop into Swindale, then back over the top to Wet Sleddale, approx 10 miles.

Unfortunately picked up a nasty blood blister on my heel yesterday at Dufton, from getting a load of scree in my shoe on the 2nd descent, then running on it for an hour.

Not do be completely beaten, i'd cleaned it up and headed out from Wet Sleddale on a much shorter outing. A bit of a higher-level circuit round Wet Sleddale reservoir. I climbed a couple of hundred feet onto the northern flanks of Wasdale Pike (pathless and very tussocky), then dropped to cross the valley, and another rise to the public right of way/bridleway, and a loop back round to the carpark.

4 miles 1000ft.

I usually take my hand-held GPS out on training runs, as it has the OS 1:50000 maps loaded in. But wary of my incident earlier in the summer with the farmer in Patterdale, i was very conscious today that i wasn't familiar with the area, and that my 1:50000 doesn't show open access/private land. So i was very hesitant and especially around the valley, not entirely sure where i could go, trying to rely off my memory of browsing the 1:25000 map last night.

As it turns out i was fine, and in fact had been over-cautious in staying off one path which i wasn't sure about, when it was actually a permitted bridleway through a farm.

I think in future i'll revert back to just using my 1:25000 paper maps, or the Harvey alternatives, and stick to my GPS watch to record my distance.

Currently on 61.5 miles for the week, with potentially another few miles this evening. Next week have a road 10km in place of the cancelled Stretton Skyline. Was hoping for a real bash at going under 38mins, but might have to play it very cautious with training this week due to my blister... hopefully can get in a reasonable speed session later in the week.
    Last edited by Travs; 05-09-2021 at 02:12 PM.

Club night and a 6.5 mile cross country run. I tried to inject some pace with some short intervals, but still felt lethargic in the legs, probably still from last weekend.

Will have to tread carefully between now and sunday.

Tonight's RATRun was from The Packhorse Inn at Little Longstone. Nine of us set off along the footpath next to the pub through the fields and up onto Longstone Moor. We then dropped down to Wardlow and then up to the TP on Wardlow Hay Cop. Steeply down into Hay Dale and then just before reaching the River Wye a left into OA land and steeply up on a rough trod which ends in the car park opposite the Monsal Head Hotel. Another new section for me. A short stretch of tarmac brought us back to the Packhorse.

A total of 7 miles and 1'350feet in 1hr 7 mins. A very close evening but mainly dry except for a sharp shower going up WHC which was refreshing. Back at the Packhorse very good chips were washed down with Black Sheep 3.8% and Crackendale 5.2% from Thornbridge Brewery.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Just occasionally, something happens to lift my spirits on one of those days when my legs feel as if running is an alien concept.

I was plodding up a path in the Outwoods, at a fairly gentle gradient. Coming the other way was a family: father, mother and one child had stopped, and about 20 yards behind was another child, also resolutely stopped. As I went past, the father called out to the recalcitrant one up the hill, "Look, there's a man running up the hill, never mind down it." As I drew level with the child, I told him, "Go on, run" -- and he did as he was told!

I suppose it was just like when my son was growing up, and would obey anyone except his parents.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Did my first 10km road race for the best part part of a decade...

Nuneaton 10km. 39:00

Disappointing. Just wasn't at the races today (excuse the pun...)

although there were km markers i ran very inconsistently.... first km was around 3:40, but there were a couple of kms in there which were over 4mins. Felt like i was pushing as hard as possible throughout, but there just wasn't any speed. Although i was still feeling last weekend's race in my legs as late as thursday, and did no decent speedwork at all this week.

Still, i'd rather have a poor turnout today at a 10km than a bad run next weekend at Stretton, or last weekend at Dufton.

Currently on 61.5 miles for the week. Will look forward with optimism towards the champs race at Stretton next weekend, followed by Peris the week after... then 4 weeks away from racing in which to concentrate on the Langdale Half Marathon.

After skipping club night on tuesday to allow a bit of recovery, went down tonight and we had a 25 minute hill session on grass.

I elected to run the uphills easy, and put the effort in on the downs.

Still feel a little heavy in the legs, but i don't think anything to be overly worried about prior to sunday.

7 miles, on top of 5 this morning... looking to be a solid week numbers wise, just got to tone everything down now prior to the weekend.

Tonight's RATRun was a lower key affair than usual as some of the regulars are scattered across the 4 Home Nations for various events at the weekend. So only 5 of us set off from the Jug and Glass, situate the A515 near Newhaven, down a track and then a short stretch of road to the now disused Hartington Station. We then followed the Tissington Trail to Biggin before crossing the 515 and onto Cardlemere Lane uphill to the junction at its highest point and turning left down to the High Peak Trail.

We then followed the HPT to beyond Friden Brickworks where a left turn took us back up to the 515 and the Jug and Glass. Once inside excellent cheesy chips were washed down with tip-top Henrietta 3.8% from The Welbeck Brewery.
    A steady 7 and a quarter miles with just 336 feet of ascent in dead on 1hr.