Page 1689 of 1689 FirstFirst ... 6891189158916391679168716881689
Results 16,881 to 16,886 of 16886

Thread: Today's Training

[QUOTE=Travs;687310]

I used my new GPS watch tonight for the first time (after leaving my previous GPS watch on the roof of the car getting changed after the Cardingmill Canter and then driving off and losing it somewhere on the A49 or M54!)

A couple of years ago at Holme Moss Fell Race we were sat recovering on the cricket field and my pal couldn't find his new phone. Assuming he had lost it during the race he was not looking forward to the bollocking from his missus when he got home.

However when we walked back to the car, which was parked on a public road in a long line of others, there was his phone on the roof of the car. It had been there for close on 6 hours!

Lucky lad.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Club night and a track session.

9 x 400mtrs. Rest period starts a 2mins, then decreases by 15secs each rep (so between reps 8 & 9 you get a mere 15 seconds)

Everyone knows this session is horrendous, you just have to turn up and get stuck in to it. The fact it was chucking it down and windy just made it a bit more ominous than usual.

75, 75, 74, 75, 75, 76, 77, 79, 78

First three reps were fairly routine, it started to get uncomfortable on the 4th rep (which was worryingly early in this session). The final three reps were absolute hell but i tried to just relax.

The wheels really came off with 150mtrs to go on the final rep and i was just about managing to corner the bend without going off the track.... i have no idea how i pulled a second back on that last one.

Very satisfied with the session... yes i couldn't quite hold the pace but that is no embarrassment on that session.

10 miles, plus 4 easy miles AM. Might get close to 80 miles this week with a fair wind.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Club night and a track session.

9 x 400mtrs. Rest period starts a 2mins, then decreases by 15secs each rep (so between reps 8 & 9 you get a mere 15 seconds)

Everyone knows this session is horrendous, you just have to turn up and get stuck in to it. The fact it was chucking it down and windy just made it a bit more ominous than usual.

75, 75, 74, 75, 75, 76, 77, 79, 78

First three reps were fairly routine, it started to get uncomfortable on the 4th rep (which was worryingly early in this session). The final three reps were absolute hell but i tried to just relax.

The wheels really came off with 150mtrs to go on the final rep and i was just about managing to corner the bend without going off the track.... i have no idea how i pulled a second back on that last one.

Very satisfied with the session... yes i couldn't quite hold the pace but that is no embarrassment on that session.

10 miles, plus 4 easy miles AM. Might get close to 80 miles this week with a fair wind.
    Those are good times. I can do 74s flat out, but only once.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Those are good times. I can do 74s flat out, but only once.
    I can (just) do a full session of 12 at 74/75/76 with a minute consistent rest each time. But the decreasing rest last night was just a killer.

Although it was wet and windy last night, so there's a second (maybe 2) to come off those times.
    Last edited by Travs; 15-03-2024 at 08:39 AM.

After not quite managing the full 40 minute continuous hill run last weekend, it was attempt no. 2 this morning.

Went at it with renewed determination and it went as well as could be expected. Thats not to say i sailed through it... i never felt it was in the bag until the last 5 minutes, but i kept the rhythm and just paced away, it felt more like a job that had to be done. I did require a complete change of clothes before i resumed the rest of the gym session, such was the effort and sweat produced.

A big week, 81.5 miles.

Next weekend is the Midland 12-Stage Road Relays and i'm pleased to have been informed this evening that i'm in the first team. There's one or two in the b-team who may arguably be quicker than me on paper, but i guess i've shown in previous years, and this winter, that i can be relied upon when the race-day comes round.

That said, aside from the fact i'm in it, it is looking like a strong team by our standards. I'm very much looking like the weakest runner. Thankfully i'm scheduled for the 9th leg (approx 3hrs in) so it should be quite spread out even if we are towards the sharp end.

I can just concentrate on running the best possible time and seeing if its enough to secure a place in the team for the National a fortnight later. If i was to make the National team it would be the 3rd year in succession, something that i'd value very highly.

Looking slightly further forward, after a conference this afternoon with the inter-counties team manager, i'm in as reserve for the I/C Fell in late April. So full focus will be on the GB uphill trial (which is less than 48hrs before the inter counties race!)
    Last edited by Travs; 17-03-2024 at 09:20 PM.

Another trip to lovely Weasdale.

Weasdale to Green Bell to Randygill Top, to Leathgill bridge, up to Hooksey and back (although I had to retrace my steps from Green Bell back towards Randygill top to search for my cap, dislodged from the bumbag - Arrrgh!).

8.76 miles 2363 ascent 1 hr 47 mins.

Not a soul in sight across all the visible range, which was fortuitous given my expletives on discovering the AWOL cap!

Very wet underfoot on the approach, but once a bit of altitude was gained, these fells generally drain well. Steady, but not chilling, westerly wind. Plenty of sunshine.
    Am Yisrael Chai