Page 1521 of 1691 FirstFirst ... 521102114211471151115191520152115221523153115711621 ... LastLast
Results 15,201 to 15,210 of 16910

Thread: Today's Training

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    It was a joke Travs. And anyway all the hamsters going round in circles leave room elsewhere for other runners
    I have huge admiration for 10,000m runners on the track. It is totally beyond my comprehension how anyone can summon up the mental strength to keep going 25 times round the same flat track.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Super Moderator
    I think I’d rather run round a track than on the treadmill. Assuming the track was outdoor
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    I think I’d rather run round a track than on the treadmill. Assuming the track was outdoor
    Once did the Lancs Champs Track 5k at Blackpool. Never again. Mind-numbing.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Super Moderator
    No wonder all the serious athletes take drugs eh?
    Last edited by Derby Tup; 04-07-2020 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Thought I’d best add a smilie
    Poacher turned game-keeper

a pint at 3k would have done me
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

I'm keen to do a track 5km... Reckon i could have a shot at going under 18mins, which i may never get to at a parkrun.

Steeplechase also a fantastic event. Fancy another go at that... last time i did it i just wanted to get round without hospitalising myself at the water-jump, but now i'd like to give it some hammer...

My only track exploits were half a dozen or so Steeplechases many years ago whilst I was in the RAF. I agree with Travs that it is a fantastic event but really tough.

Although in the races I did I was only really making up the numbers I still used to give it my all. The skill of the event is being able to cope with the break in rhythm that the hurdles cause and deciding whether or not to hurdle or push off the top.
    That decision making can become a bit blurry towards the end of the race when running on empty and is when the mishaps happen. Those hurdles do not move!

It is my favourite athletics event to watch on TV and I am in awe of those who make it look so easy.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Yes you can't run through a steeplechase hurdle, like you can on the little hurdles the sprinters use.

My issue was, as I need the push off from each hurdle... I don't have the confidence to land on top of the hurdle on my weak foot. So I'm taking off on my weak foot, strong foot on the hurdle, then landing on my weak foot. Sucks all momentum out of me.

Need to learn to hit the top of the hurdle with my weak foot then I'll be much quicker.

Went back to Shropshire today for a solo attempt on the Gill Harris Round, the 22 named tops of the Long Mynd.

Didn't really have a schedule to keep to, just knew that i felt capable of under 4hrs. Ran well, picking some much better lines than a fortnight ago, resulting in running 2 miles less according to my GPS.

Crossed the finish line at The Square in Church Stretton in 3hr49.... 20.5 miles 5350ft

Was an interesting insight into how our mind works and pushes us to improve. I'd have chopped an arm off to get under 4hrs beforehand. yet driving home i was absolutely kicking myself for not pushing harder over the big climbs in the last hour to get under 3:45.... yet at the time i was cursing myself for ever getting involved in fellrunning.

Admittedly i did start to wither a little on the final couple of climbs... but after 3hrs of hard work it was to be expected. And i ran as well as could be hoped for. Will possibly re-visit next spring. Can't go any faster at my current level of ability/speed/fitness, and perhaps in spring the vegetation won't be so extensive (was over my head a couple of times today!)

Brings another solid week to a close... 62 miles and 12150ft.... Although a full working week will likely see this drop to around 40-50 miles next week.

Well done Travs, good to see you out and cracking time!