Page 1547 of 1555 FirstFirst ... 547104714471497153715451546154715481549 ... LastLast
Results 15,461 to 15,470 of 15547

Thread: Today's Training

Went over to Warwick Racecourse for a 5km attempt this morning. A much more consistently flat course than the ones round by me... albeit with still a reasonable hill in it, which must be scaled twice, but in my opinion a fast course.

Unfortunately with it being around a very flat and open racecourse, it was incredibly windy today... which is today's excuse for not reaching the time i feel capable of!

Managed 18:50... i feel the wind may have cost 20-30secs.... i think that on a 5km, someone like me with good stamina, but perhaps a slight lack of basic speed, needs to start hard and maintain it. This wasn't really an option today as the first 800-1km were into a very strong headwind, so i felt i was always fighting a losing battle... knew at halfway i was a little way off the pace.

Still it was a nice bit of hard work. My plan had been to forget the 5km after today and get into some long stuff at the weekends... but i think a couple more weeks of hard work can see me picking up a much better time than i registered today.
    Last edited by Travs; 21-11-2020 at 12:09 PM.

Another week over and this weeks scores were a steady 68 miles and 11,100ft. Slight disappointment with my 5km time yesterday but not a major disaster in an otherwise decent week.

Next week... "club" session which i'll do tuesday or wednesday, probably another bash at 5km next weekend. Fingers crossed it's only 4 weeks to the Skirrid Fell Race, everything permitting!

Really enjoyed my run in the Goyt Valley this morning with my "cool" friend.

You'll be pleased to know Moley that he passed the dress code test by not wearing anything too gaudy or gimmicky. He was shod in More Mile trail shoes which he rates and I must say that they looked pretty stable on the muddy ascents/descents. He was, however, much tidier dressed than me, in my old black smelly helly lifa, t shirt and shorts.

8 miles and 1'062 feet over a mix of terrain in 1hr 15min. Pleased with that, my longest run in 3 months. Calves a bit tender now, a short steep downhill tarmac section, in Mudclaws, to blame. Easy again midweek.

Hopefully slowly getting there with a weekly total of 16 miles and 1'600 feet running, 77 miles and 6'500 feet cycling and 20 miles walking with dogs.

Watch out Trav's, I'm after you
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

34k/1200m yesterday. Cracking loop from Austwick to Feizor, Helwith Bridge, up over Penyghent, down through Horton, Ingleborough and back via Trow Gill and Thwaite Lane. Decent conditions, though some proper slop underfoot around Sulber Nick. Currently pondering over a rest day today or a run at lunchtime.
    Geoff Clarke
    Lancaster Runners

Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    34k/1200m yesterday. Cracking loop from Austwick to Feizor, Helwith Bridge, up over Penyghent, down through Horton, Ingleborough and back via Trow Gill and Thwaite Lane. Decent conditions, though some proper slop underfoot around Sulber Nick. Currently pondering over a rest day today or a run at lunchtime.
    Great route that. As a local though I'm a little worried that at the start you missed out going up through Wharfe/Oxenber woods (sidestepping Feizor) and also didn't visit Smearsett Scar before heading for Helwith Bridge and the climb up Pyg

There is so much gloop between the top of Sulber Nick and Nick Pot right now - fantastic eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Went over to Warwick Racecourse for a 5km attempt this morning. A much more consistently flat course than the ones round by me... albeit with still a reasonable hill in it, which must be scaled twice, but in my opinion a fast course.

Unfortunately with it being around a very flat and open racecourse, it was incredibly windy today... which is today's excuse for not reaching the time i feel capable of!

Managed 18:50... i feel the wind may have cost 20-30secs.... i think that on a 5km, someone like me with good stamina, but perhaps a slight lack of basic speed, needs to start hard and maintain it. This wasn't really an option today as the first 800-1km were into a very strong headwind, so i felt i was always fighting a losing battle... knew at halfway i was a little way off the pace.

Still it was a nice bit of hard work. My plan had been to forget the 5km after today and get into some long stuff at the weekends... but i think a couple more weeks of hard work can see me picking up a much better time than i registered today.
    18:50 sounds really good to me. Living in the hills and not being a fan of hard, fast and short running (and not doing park runs) means that Iíve never really bothered with a 5K. I just checked Strava and ironically my best 5K ever was during the London Marathon in 2014 (21:25). I really need to put on my man pants and have a blast at a flat 5K I think

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    18:50 sounds really good to me. Living in the hills and not being a fan of hard, fast and short running (and not doing park runs) means that I’ve never really bothered with a 5K. I just checked Strava and ironically my best 5K ever was during the London Marathon in 2014 (21:25). I really need to put on my man pants and have a blast at a flat 5K I think

I'm sure 18:50 is, all things considered, a fair time.

But i'm sure i'm capable of more. I ran a 3km track race in just over 10:30 in the summer, which is equivalent to just over 17:30 pace for 5km. So surely i've got potential to sneak under 18mins for 5km.

Obviously race conditions make such a difference, and i perhaps shouldn't beat myself up too much about a time which is after all a time-trial.

My ex-girlfriend had two ambitions in running, to run a sub 20min 5km and a sub 40min 10km... she hasn't quite got there yet... so i do sometimes feel a little bit selfish moaning about "only" scraping under 19mins on a windy day!
    Last edited by Travs; 23-11-2020 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    Great route that. As a local though I'm a little worried that at the start you missed out going up through Wharfe/Oxenber woods (sidestepping Feizor) and also didn't visit Smearsett Scar before heading for Helwith Bridge and the climb up Pyg

There is so much gloop between the top of Sulber Nick and Nick Pot right now - fantastic eh?
    Yeah, I've done the woods up there before, but feels a bit fiddly for a longer run. Not been up to Smearsett before though, could add that in and drop down to Stainforth. Will give that a try.
    Geoff Clarke
    Lancaster Runners

Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    Yeah, I've done the woods up there before, but feels a bit fiddly for a longer run. Not been up to Smearsett before though, could add that in and drop down to Stainforth. Will give that a try.
    From Smearsett you can take a line down through the fields to the lane, much closer to Helwith Bridge. Not a marked path but after the descent and crossing one ladder style itís an easy wall line to follow to a gate

Not run since July, trying to keep some flab on for the winter hibernation