Page 1376 of 1692 FirstFirst ... 37687612761326136613741375137613771378138614261476 ... LastLast
Results 13,751 to 13,760 of 16912

Thread: Today's Training

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Pitch Hill (Surrey), 257m.

We needed to be around Guildford for a few days, and my wife booked accommodation in Farley Green, in the Surrey Greensand: brilliant! Those who have never lived in the South-East may not know how important the Greensand Hills of Surrey are: they are as the Lakeland fells are for the North-West. For me in particular, some of my early orienteering was in these hills and woods, including an event in "Pitch Hill and Winterfold" as long ago as 1976. And now I have just returned from a run across Winterfold Heath to the top of Pitch Hill, with its amazing views over the Weald to the South Downs. Wonderful!

Nice little run from Grasmere up to Grisedale Tarn then onto Seat Sandal, to tick off another wainwright, before the long descent back down the nose of the fell to Grasmere.... Took it very easy on the way up, but pushed the descent as hard as my inexperienced legs would dare, and got from the top of Seat Sandal to the centre of grasmere in 20 minutes.. I'm sure that is by no means a fast time compared to most, but a nice 'loosener' before Kentmere tomorrow...

From Wha House Farm in Eskdale, up to scafell via slight side, took 1hr 30mins although I was by no means racing, think I could do it in an hour on a hard day... Then an attempt at a direct descent through the mist to burnmoor tarn (despite a brief dalliance with the path down to wasdale it went pretty well), then down into boot via the corpse road....

Nothing major, saving the legs for two biggies this weekend....

Wasdale Head straight up Kirk Fell, to Styhead Tarn via Beck Head and Windy Gap, up to Esk Hause, Allen Crags, Esk Pike, and down to the Woolpack in Eskdale via Lingcove...

Took in some real "out of the way" terrain today, particularly around Beck Head/Stone Cove//aaron Slack, and the area south of Ore Gap and Esk Pike... Was heartwarming to find I can be out for many hours and not see a soul 90% of the time... In fact, apart from the section between Styhead and Esk Hause, I did not see a soul all day until Lingcove Bridge...

Master
    Why is this thread hardly used any more? have people given up training?

Super Moderator
    No everyone, but keep it quiet please Simon. I'm not sure what to focus on but might have a pop at either winning the British Champs next year and / or breaking Billy's BG record
    Poacher turned game-keeper

yesterday I did the straight up route from the Sunnyhurst woods bandstand to Darwen Tower (about 550 feet in 0.9 miles), then dropped back down to the gate at the foot of the steep path followed by 2 reps from there back up to the tower (each about 300 feet over half a mile)...repetitive but good hill climbing practice I think!

Ran there and back from home so got around 1,375 feet in 7 miles - all the climbing done in the space of 3.5 miles in the middle though...very happy with that

2323.jpg
    Last edited by CalFerguson; 10-09-2015 at 03:00 PM.
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    No everyone, but keep it quiet please Simon. I'm not sure what to focus on but might have a pop at either winning the British Champs next year and / or breaking Billy's BG record
    Just between you and me. We wont let it go any further!

Super Moderator
    dom'll be pleased to see some activity on this thread (when he logs on at later from the Victoria)
    Poacher turned game-keeper

A trot round the Pen y Fan ridges for me today. Great couple of hours on the hills.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/403444776