Page 1377 of 1692 FirstFirst ... 37787712771327136713751376137713781379138714271477 ... LastLast
Results 13,761 to 13,770 of 16913

Thread: Today's Training

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    One of those wonderful days when I felt full of energy: even put in some effort on the descent of Beacon Hill, rather than just using it to recover from the climb. Never mind that I took 57 minutes for a route that I could do in 48 minutes less than 20 years ago; it felt good!

Quote Originally Posted by Corniceman View Post
    Why is this thread hardly used any more? have people given up training?
    A bad summer for me, maybe age but I'm just getting beaten up but any longer runs.

Need to rapidly get in shape to pace the women at philly marathon for the olympic trials, the B standard is 2:43, so 6:15 pace.

Thought I had no chance but a steady week of running and dont feel too bad.

After a mountain marathon last weekend, a superb race in the Catskills mountains of NY, took it easy and came 4th as really need a decent 5 weeks of training.

5 miles monday 7:40's easy, legs feel OK
    10 miles tuesdat 7:00 pace, legs a bit tight but last half down in the 6's
    8 slow on wednesday, really felt sore
    10 miles 6:40 pace thursday and the last 3 progressively quicker
    5 miles friday am, 6 miles friday night 4 miles at 6:10 pace felt OK
    5 miles saturday am, intervals saturday night, 4 x 2 km at 5:45 pace on the treadmill, 75s easy, felt comfortable.
    probaly 10-12 tonight easy but nice first week of 70 miles.

Hoping to then knock the long stuff on the head as the little one arrives in november and taregt 3-5k track races over the winter then seek a 10 mile PR come May, then back in to the mountians next summer.

Master
    OK, resurrecting this once heavily used by seemingly long forgotten thread! Today jogged up Skidda and back via normal route, hideous winds on top, knocking me off my feet, driving rain every step of the way, soaked and buffeted throughout, it was brilliant! 9 miles and about 2700'.

Quote Originally Posted by Corniceman View Post
    OK, resurrecting this once heavily used by seemingly long forgotten thread! Today jogged up Skidda and back via normal route, hideous winds on top, knocking me off my feet, driving rain every step of the way, soaked and buffeted throughout, it was brilliant! 9 miles and about 2700'.
    Good work! Back from injury?

This month has mostly been about getting some long races in (Roaches, Tour of Pendle) in an endeavour to learn how not to blow up. Pleased to report this worked for latter after blowing up on the former.

Next up, back to track speed endurance work (paarluffs, pyramids, chasing my tail...), getting a pasting at XC, a couple of shorter races on the fell & trying to fit in some hill reps locally.

Master
    [QUOTE=Sam W;617078]Good work! Back from injury?

This month has mostly been about getting some long races in (Roaches, Tour of Pendle) in an endeavour to learn how not to blow up. Pleased to report this worked for latter after blowing up on the former.

Next up, back to track speed endurance work (paarluffs, pyramids, chasing my tail...), getting a pasting at XC, a couple of shorter races on the fell & trying to fit in some hill reps locally.[/QUOTE

Sam, getting back but some way to go. have been running a few times with Holme P on a Monday night. Thinking about doing some track sessions in Bingham on a Tuesday. Do you do those?

Corniceman good to see you're getting back to fitness, maybe see you at a few lakes races next year...!

My training is confined to the gym mostly, but managing a good 3-4000ft climbing a day... One more race this year, then 3 weeks over Xmas staying at one of those sports resorts in Fuerteventura, plenty of running, swimming and gym work... Hopefully come back in great shape for the Marsden-Edale... Hoping to build up to the Manx mountain marathon next September, via some Lakeland classics and Yorkshire 3 peaks, amongst others...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Corniceman good to see you're getting back to fitness, maybe see you at a few lakes races next year...!

My training is confined to the gym mostly, but managing a good 3-4000ft climbing a day... One more race this year, then 3 weeks over Xmas staying at one of those sports resorts in Fuerteventura, plenty of running, swimming and gym work... Hopefully come back in great shape for the Marsden-Edale... Hoping to build up to the Manx mountain marathon next September, via some Lakeland classics and Yorkshire 3 peaks, amongst others...
    3-4000 feet per day. that is awesome! is that on a stepper or steep incline on a treadmill? You've really made me think I have to pull my finger out as I doubt I do 3000 feet in a month!
    Fuerteventura is great. I stayed right in the South of the island last year and via Google maps found some mountain trails mainly to the highest point. But also a fantastic little volcano next to the road with several trails. Not high but spectacular peaks. Have a good time and it sounds as though you should beast next years races!

3-4000ft is on a combination of steep treadmill and stepper/stair climber... Best I can manage throughout the week in my location... Still feel like my main weakness is actual time on my feet in the fells, and general running ability, as opposed to anything specific ascending or descending... After two hours I start to feel it, guess I need more long runs and races to condition myself...

I'm staying right in the north of the island, couldn't afford the really good sports resort at Taritas in the south, so staying at a cheaper one in corralejo...! Though it still has an olympic pool and loads of facilities, as well as the sand dunes nearby... Seems to be some good hills nearby, as you say not massively high, but pretty steep and spectactular...

Went up Ingleborough from Ingleton tonight. Set off at 20:24 and did 10.9km with 577m of ascent. Was very warm for December and perfectly still. First time up Ingleborough in the dark.

In Fuerteventura at the moment. Sunday's run was about 2 hours across the spectacular sand dunes and was quite tough going.

Yesterday was a jaunt onto the local fells. Only about 1000ft high but very steep, extinct volcanoes. Generally pathless and very rough going.

Despite being big triathlon country, everyone seems to run around the town streets and promenades, rather than the fantastic natural areas...