Page 1429 of 1692 FirstFirst ... 42992913291379141914271428142914301431143914791529 ... LastLast
Results 14,281 to 14,290 of 16912

Thread: Today's Training

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    There are no tussocks around here; but we have got public footpaths across the middle of arable fields. Being among the first to use the "path" after the field has been ploughed is a reasonable substitute for training over tussocks.

I am with Travs on Snowdonia being the best fell-running terrain south of Hadrian's Wall. But I am appalled at his negligence in not including Moel Cynghorion in his pre-Peris warm-up, to do a complete "Reverse Moel Eilio Ridge race".
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

That climb up Moel Cynghorion can wait 'til tomorrow, once will be enough for any weekend...! And the subsequent descent is what worries me most... being exactly where my legs gave up last year. It gets steeper every time I look at it.

You’re right about Snowdonia. Its definitely wilder and not as well trod as the lakes. Been up there a couple of times recently

Travs - can I ask you a question. How do you get that amount of ascent in, living in Coventry ?

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I love snowdonia and yes, it is truly majestic. Far wilder and rugged than the Lakes. However, in all of this it lacks a certain balance that I find hard to put words to. There are many impressive views in North Wales, but there are seldom any in Cumbria that do not make my heart sing.

I'm not trying to be negative about the Lakes in any way, it is a fantastic place and I plan to live there once I retire, if not before.

Spen.... most of my climb in training comes from turning the treadmill up to its highest gradient. I'm fully aware it's not the same as training on the fells, but it's the best I've can do at the moment, and it's a consistent measure. Seems to be working for me... I'll never be a front runner, I'm simply not quick enough, but results are improving...

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Yes, PeteS, I was thinking of adding to my comment about Snowdonia having the best fell running terrain, something like "but it's not as pretty as the Lake District".

Wonder how Travs is getting on. It's 12:08, he should be somewhere between Elidir Fawr and Y Garn by now.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Yes, PeteS, I was thinking of adding to my comment about Snowdonia having the best fell running terrain, something like "but it's not as pretty as the Lake District".Wonder how Travs is getting on. It's 12:08, he should be somewhere between Elidir Fawr and Y Garn by now.
    Granted that Snowdonia is very rugged and gnarly BUT a thread on here from several years ago seemed to conclude that for sheer "fell running perfection" it is difficult to beat the Howgills, convex slopes of a decent altitude, all covered in well grazed fell turf - a sheer pleasure to run on, either on or off piste.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

I’m just back from injury and been picking the miles up. Living near Brum makes it difficult to get to the mountains as much as i would like. Been to snowdonia a couple of times recently.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by spen View Post
    I’m just back from injury and been picking the miles up. Living near Brum makes it difficult to get to the mountains as much as i would like. Been to snowdonia a couple of times recently.
    It's not ideal living in the Midlands if you aspire to fell running. Like Travs, you can go the treadmill route or if you have any hills nearby, then working them as hard as you can pays dividends.
    I'm not far from Birmingham and major on the Clent Hills for most of my training. I can get something like 1500 ft of ascent in hours running if I put my mind to it. I cycle a lot these days but when I was purely focused on the fells, I would factor in a day out on the Shropshire or Malvern hills at least every other weekend.
    Last edited by PeteS; 29-09-2018 at 10:21 PM.